• HTML tutorial

hookjaw

Rank III
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate I

San Jose, CA
Member #

Went to buy a hose and came back with a Land Cruiser...
Almost three years ago while on the way back from the hardware store I noticed a stock 1990 Fj62 for sale. The rig had less than 100K on the odometer and other than a "ding" on the rear left quarter panel it was clean. The original owner lived less than 5 miles from me and it was primarily used as a family Tahoe ski bus. He was going to give it to his grandson, but being young and dumb the grandson opted for a used honda instead. So I parted with $5K and it became my new project vehicle. Over the last year I finally got serious and decided she was ready for a new life and have been transforming her into the overland vehicle I've always wanted.

Current Mods
Suspension: Old Man Emu Heavy Duty - 2.5 in lift
4Plus U-Bolt Flip Kit

BFG AT 33 x 10.5 tires

Front bumper 4Plus classic 60 series
Winch : Warn Zeon 10-S
Factor 55 Flatlink Shackle Thimble
Sliders4Plus 60 series
4Runner Front Brake Calipers
4Runner Front Brake Pads
4Runner Master Cylinder
Low headlight - Hella ECE H1
High headlight - Hella ECE H4
Dual Grp 34 Diehard Platinum Batteries
IBS - system

BMW e40 seats
Torfab Front Seat Brackets
Diamond Rax 84 inch Rooftop Tent Rack
Tepui Kukenam "Siberian" Camo Roof Top Tent
Blue Sea Systems 6 block fuse panel
ARB 47 L Fridge/Freezer
SoCal Teardrops - SCT Fridge/Stove Combo slide
Front Runner 50 L Slanted Water tank
Highlift Extreme jack
Cobra 18 WX STII CB
Kenwood KDC- X998 Head unit
Quadratec Center Console

Future Mods
Rear Bumper - 4x4 Labs
Transfer case rebuild with McNamara input gear
Front LED Light Bar(s)
Front & Rear Lockers
On Board Air
Larger Capacity Fuel Tank
Diesel Power Plant (once the life in the stock engine is gone)
Rear cargo area shelf system

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Drool! This ride goes on the "Epic" list. It's amazing! We have the same lift, and you have me eyeing that RTT. I'm a ground camper so far, but I have to say I like the idea of a RTT for the "camp anywhere" flexibility. Need to be ready to give up the rack space and figure out another storage solution. It could be done.

Thanks for sharing! I'd love to see updates on future modes, and many other pictures you'd like to share of the other mods.

M

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

Very nice one, Iam a bit jealous what there is all to find for your Rigs there in the States. Mines are always a DIY upgrade, as there is almost nothing to find for it. So, same as Michael, I drool too.

Love it.

Iubootgater

Rank III
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Greenwood IN
Member #

@hookjaw- how is the auto with fuel injection on power? I look at fj60/62's daily as I have loved the styling since I was a kid. I have always wondered about the small hp numbers. I know the tourqe is good but always wondered about getting down the road especially loaded up.

Wilson

hookjaw

Rank III
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate I

San Jose, CA
Member #

Thanks all,

Like all our rigs she is a work in progress. I'm really lucky I came across such a clean base vehicle to start building. @Wilson, she is a pig really. Does not get anywhere on the highway fast but hey that is not really the point in a LC anyway. Once off road the story changes and she's plenty capable. Once I get lockers, I think I'll be pretty much set to go anyplace I see other bigger and badder rigs conquer.

hookjaw

Rank III
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate I

San Jose, CA
Member #

Thanks @4x4Nate. The setup works well for me, I love being able to park, set up the tent and be in bed 10 minutes after a long drive.

bassmanfreddo

Rank I
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler I

Great lookin' rig m8. Can you show us a pic of the fridge/stove combo slide? Thanks!

hookjaw

Rank III
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate I

San Jose, CA
Member #

Thanks Fred.  I call this my beta v 0.3.2 build.  I decided that instead of jumping right in and building the cargo/kitchen area, I would take my time, use the area and gear so that over time I could decide on exactly what I need and want. I knew a fridge, water and a stove were gonna be back there so that is what I started with. What you see here is my "just get it in there and working" setup. It allows me to use the gear while at the same time letting me figure out how, what & where I want/need to store/carry gear. This May I'll be going to Expo West where I hope to see all kinds of set-ups. The plan is to home with new ideas that combined with my personal experience should lead me to the cabinet design that should work for me. Right now everything is laid out on a 3/4 sheet of marine grade plywood that is fastened to the bed via the OEM bed hooks

Reactions: Timothy06

Lifestyle Overland

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCuiston
Member #

Awesome build. Makes me want a 60/62 really bad!
Can you tell me where you got that fridge slide? That's just what I need in the back of my rigs.

I've been working on a friend who has an '85 FJ60 just sitting idle on his farm... original interior, in the family since new, etc. Because I really need another project...

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

Wow I like it much.

Go on and give us more info and pictures.

Greetings from Robert

hookjaw

Rank III
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate I

San Jose, CA
Member #

I hear ya, I have plenty of projects in various states of incompletion, LOL. The idea of picking up another is always tempting though.  The 60 series are reliable and relatively easy to work on. They are getting a bit long in the tooth so while there are still lots of after market parts, its no longer anything like what is available for the 80 series rigs. But hell, you'll have no problem based on what I've seen you've been able to do with that kickass 45.

The slide is the SoCal Teardrops Fridge/Stove combo slide.  It would have taken me years to get around to building something like this for myself. It's super nice to just be able to quickly set up or pack up the "galley". It's pricey for sure, but you get what you pay for the combo is well made, sturdy and should last at least as long me.

Here is another pic @Robert OB.  

bassmanfreddo

Rank I
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler I

That is going to be outstanding once you have sorted it out to your liking. I haven't done anything like that to my Liberty yet. I have four Wolf Pack cargo boxes in the back now and I strapped my hi-lift jack to the back of the back seat.  I just lash my fridge down in the back seat, but I really like your slider set up. The Overland Expos are a great place to glean ideas for our rigs, I went to East last year and came back with my head just swimming! I'll be at East again this year and West in 2016. It's a never ending project for me, this weekend I'm fabbing a mount for my Toughbook and UHF/VHF radio.  

Reactions: Levidale

CFM80

Rank 0

Traveler I

I love the spontaneous buy.... Great FJ you have there. I like slide in the back.... has me thinking.

Dave Pugh

Rank 0

Traveler I

Phoenix
Went to buy a hose and came back with a Land Cruiser...
Almost three years ago while on the way back from the hardware store I noticed a stock 1990 Fj62 for sale. The rig had less than 100K on the odometer and other than a "ding" on the rear left quarter panel it was clean. The original owner lived less than 5 miles from me and it was primarily used as a family Tahoe ski bus. He was going to give it to his grandson, but being young and dumb the grandson opted for a used honda instead. So I parted with $5K and it became my new project vehicle. Over the last year I finally got serious and decided she was ready for a new life and have been transforming her into the overland vehicle I've always wanted.

Current Mods
Suspension: Old Man Emu Heavy Duty - 2.5 in lift
4Plus U-Bolt Flip Kit

BFG AT 33 x 10.5 tires

Front bumper : 4Plus classic 60 series
Winch : Warn Zeon 10-S
Factor 55 Flatlink Shackle Thimble
Sliders : 4Plus 60 series
4Runner Front Brake Calipers
4Runner Front Brake Pads
4Runner Master Cylinder
Low headlight - Hella ECE H1
High headlight - Hella ECE H4
Dual Grp 34 Diehard Platinum Batteries
IBS - system

BMW e40 seats
Torfab Front Seat Brackets
Diamond Rax 84 inch Rooftop Tent Rack
Tepui Kukenam "Siberian" Camo Roof Top Tent
Blue Sea Systems 6 block fuse panel
ARB 47 L Fridge/Freezer
SoCal Teardrops - SCT Fridge/Stove Combo slide
Front Runner 50 L Slanted Water tank
Highlift Extreme jack
Cobra 18 WX STII CB
Kenwood KDC- X998 Head unit
Quadratec Center Console

Future Mods
Rear Bumper - 4x4 Labs
Transfer case rebuild with McNamara input gear
Front LED Light Bar(s)
Front & Rear Lockers
On Board Air
Larger Capacity Fuel Tank
Diesel Power Plant (once the life in the stock engine is gone)
Rear cargo area shelf system

Love your 62!

Reactions: hookjaw

Timothy06

Rank I

Off-Road Ranger I

Barstow, CA, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Karas
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Kj6khc
Service Branch
Us Navy Seabees, ACB
nice rig were did you buy the slide for your arb frig/freezer ?