Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
I know! Call me CRAZY, but why don't you pull the body off and put the frame on a "rotisserie" . My last rebuild of my Jeep Scrambler, I was on the fence... Then didn't and regret it to this day!!!
EVERYTHING is so much easier! I have had the privilege to hang & chat with some of the "top shelf" OG Hot Rod builders in my life and they swear by doing "body off" builds!
None the less...However to do the frame work, I have no doubt it is going to be KILLER!
If I had a shop I would have totally pulled the body, but, I am confined to a 1 1/2 car garage that has another project truck in it.

KevinsOffroad.com

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Phoenix, AZ
Member #

Hey all!

So I made a 2000 mile round trip a few weeks ago to scoop up this 1965 International Travelall Panel (D1200).
The D1200 is a 3/4 ton 4x4 delivery truck, and seem to be a fairly rare rig. Currently has a V8 304ci gas motor with a 4 speed floor shift manual trans (t-19..I think). The 4 wheel spinny box is a divorced np201 (i think?). Front Dana 44 with closed knuckles and not to sure of the rear axle. It does run and drive, but doesn't stop very well at all.

I will do my best to document the progress of the build here. Here is the vision....

Short term goals...

- Get it fully drivable.
- Clean Fuel tank.
- Replace brake master cylinder.
- Replace Driveshaft U-joints (all 6).
- Replace leaky diff pinion seals.
- Replace leaky Trans output shaft seal.
- figure out wiring mess to make lights work.
This "should" get her on the road, I hope!

Long term Vision...

- Possible 12v Cummins/NV4500 swap.
- 1 Ton axles
- 4-6" lift allowing 37" tires at a minimum.
- DIY Custom built bumpers.
- Build out cargo area to allow for Vehicle dependent travel.

And here she is,

View attachment 216549

View attachment 216550

View attachment 216551

View attachment 216552

View attachment 216553
Dig it! A 12v would be outstanding!

We had a 1970 Travelall while I was growing up. Cool rig!

Reactions: PNW EXPLR

KevinsOffroad.com

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Phoenix, AZ
Member #

Today I spent an hour or so modifying the rear leaf spring hangers. Still need to go get 10' of 1/4"x6" flat plate to build the outriggers and frame reenforcement plate.
View attachment 249923

Here is the factory one the it will replace. You will notice that there is a cross member there so it should be pretty strong.
View attachment 249924
Nice work!!

Reactions: PNW EXPLR

MrWilsonWJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kennewick, WA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

Who are you getting your shackle mounts and pre fabbed hangers/brackets from? Kicking around some ideas for a possible future project and trying to figure some cost and feasibility. With a newborn and how big Tinkerbell is the WJ just isn't going to be big enough for us anymore.

PNW EXPLR

Local Expert Southeast Washington, USA
Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
Who are you getting your shackle mounts and pre fabbed hangers/brackets from? Kicking around some ideas for a possible future project and trying to figure some cost and feasibility. With a newborn and how big Tinkerbell is the WJ just isn't going to be big enough for us anymore.
The shackle brackets are made to your dimensions by Ruffstuff. The basic leaf spring brackets are from Barnes4wd.
What are you thinking for the family hauler/crawler?

Reactions: DintDobbs

PNW EXPLR

Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
IMG_2808.jpeg

IMG_2809.jpeg

IMG_2810.jpeg

Now to start cutting out the old factory brackets and prepping the frame for the new ones. There are a million factory bolt holes in the frame rails, I mat take the extra time and weld them up, it will look better, just need to get a bronze backing bar to weld against.

MrWilsonWJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kennewick, WA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

The shackle brackets are made to your dimensions by Ruffstuff. The basic leaf spring brackets are from Barnes4wd.
What are you thinking for the family hauler/crawler?
At this point I'm pretty open to what the next build will be but have been looking mostly at 1st gen Toyota Sequoias. I would love another Suburban but they're just too big for the trails I like to run. The Sequoia seems like a good size, bigger than FJ80's, 4runners and things like that but smaller than some of the true full size domestic stuff. Only thing is the cost of them like anything Toyota people think they are made of gold, it's either a clapped out one with low miles for $8k or a super clean one with high miles for $10k-$15K. Been doing some looking and haven't came across much yet that I'd want to get, luckily I'm not in a hurry since I have the Jeep and will probably be solo for most of my trips this year. Still think a 3 linked SAS with tons and FJ t-case swap sitting on 37"-40" tires would be pretty bitchin' for a Sequoia. Time will tell what I end up with, might just build a 2nd WJ for the wife since I have parts in the shed.

PNW EXPLR

Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
At this point I'm pretty open to what the next build will be but have been looking mostly at 1st gen Toyota Sequoias. I would love another Suburban but they're just too big for the trails I like to run. The Sequoia seems like a good size, bigger than FJ80's, 4runners and things like that but smaller than some of the true full size domestic stuff. Only thing is the cost of them like anything Toyota people think they are made of gold, it's either a clapped out one with low miles for $8k or a super clean one with high miles for $10k-$15K. Been doing some looking and haven't came across much yet that I'd want to get, luckily I'm not in a hurry since I have the Jeep and will probably be solo for most of my trips this year. Still think a 3 linked SAS with tons and FJ t-case swap sitting on 37"-40" tires would be pretty bitchin' for a Sequoia. Time will tell what I end up with, might just build a 2nd WJ for the wife since I have parts in the shed.
You see the latest BleepinJeep?
BleepinJeep

MrWilsonWJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kennewick, WA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

You see the latest BleepinJeep?
BleepinJeep
Just watched the link you posted and that Ram is pretty cool for a low buck build. The WJ they have been working on is awesome, probably the direction mine would go if I were to pick up a different family camping/trail rig. So far I've been conservative with my WJ since we drive it to camp and run trails with it then still need it to get us home but I think if I had something else to do that with the WJ would turn into a dedicated trail rig that is just legal enough to be on the road.

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
View attachment 250862

View attachment 250863

View attachment 250864

Now to start cutting out the old factory brackets and prepping the frame for the new ones. There are a million factory bolt holes in the frame rails, I mat take the extra time and weld them up, it will look better, just need to get a bronze backing bar to weld against.
Nice job! Those are some solid looking brackets, and your welding puts mine to shame. Looking forward to seeing what's next.

PNW EXPLR

Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
View attachment 250862

View attachment 250863

View attachment 250864

Nice job! Those are some solid looking brackets, and your welding puts mine to shame. Looking forward to seeing what's next.
They should be more than strong enough. Working this weekend on getting them in.
I welded for a living for a long time as a Pipefitter. But never did much mig welding. I did more X-ray TIG and Stick welding. Just a lot of practice with mig to try to get it to look half decent. And I am not running a pulse mig machine, that would be a game changer.

PNW EXPLR

Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
Lots of grinding over the last couple of days getting the old factory brackets removed.

Cut the shock mounts off the axle. Should have done this a long time ago. I thought the u-bolt might sneak by but nope.
IMG_2821.jpeg

Clean metal welds much better!
IMG_2822.jpeg
Double checked the measurements were the same as the other side.
IMG_2823.jpeg

And glued it in!
IMG_2827.jpeg

Need to order some shorter shackles. I have a set of 6" ones but they are way to long. Will try a set of 4". So in the mean time the rear bracket is just clamped until I can set the shackle angles.
IMG_2824.jpeg

PNW EXPLR

Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
Had the perfect weather over the weekend for pulling the engine. Had to pull the tires to get the front low enough for the oil pan to clear the radiator core support.
IMG_2893.jpeg
15979F3F-05CE-4736-9438-A30EC5EB49CE.jpg

A blank canvas!
IMG_2895.jpeg

PNW EXPLR

Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
Started a list to keep me focused. At the very least it will help remind me of what I still need to get ordered. The next 8 weeks will be very busy at work, so ordering parts will have to count as progress.IMG_2947.jpeg