Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
It's been busy but trying to continue progressing..
Today I broke down and finally bought a shop press. The factory joins in the 10 bolt axle shafts were just stubborn as could be. I was able to get the old ones out but my gosh did it take some force.
Then I took some time to wire wheel the 25 years of rust off the shafts.
Getting the new ujoints in was hit and miss. I think they got a bit compressed (a few thousands) as I had trouble getting the c-clips on a couple and even blew out one of the caps by putting a little touch on it in the wrong way. I recognize my mistake and will give it another shot tomorrow.
tempImagez9yTHG.jpg
tempImagewQsept.jpg
tempImageB3AK4b.jpg

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
It's been busy but trying to continue progressing..
Today I broke down and finally bought a shop press. The factory joins in the 10 bolt axle shafts were just stubborn as could be. I was able to get the old ones out but my gosh did it take some force.
Then I took some time to wire wheel the 25 years of rust off the shafts.
Getting the new ujoints in was hit and miss. I think they got a bit compressed (a few thousands) as I had trouble getting the c-clips on a couple and even blew out one of the caps by putting a little touch on it in the wrong way. I recognize my mistake and will give it another shot tomorrow.
View attachment 239191
View attachment 239192
View attachment 239193
A trick my dad taught me to install u-joints… as soon as you get them seated as far as you can with your press (or vice, or u-joint installation tool, ect) is to smack the solid part of shaft next to the u-joint caps with a BFH with the caps still having an external force applying pressure to just the caps. This causes the U-Joint caps to stay tight against the trunnion wile the vibration loosens the tension of the shaft yokes allowing you to install the retaining rings easier. Also I have found seating one cap at a time using this method makes going a lot smoother as well.

Another trick I picked up was applying a thin layer of grease to theu-joint caps before pressing them in.

shortbus4x4

Rank II

Enthusiast III

A trick my dad taught me to install u-joints… as soon as you get them seated as far as you can with your press (or vice, or u-joint installation tool, ect) is to smack the solid part of shaft next to the u-joint caps with a BFH with the caps still having an external force applying pressure to just the caps. This causes the U-Joint caps to stay tight against the trunnion wile the vibration loosens the tension of the shaft yokes allowing you to install the retaining rings easier. Also I have found seating one cap at a time using this method makes going a lot smoother as well.

Another trick I picked up was applying a thin layer of grease to theu-joint caps before pressing them in.
This. I also do this after the clips are installed if the joints are stiff to turn. I use WD40 on the caps when removing and installing them. On caps that have been in for eons I use a little heat before I press them, otherwise the shafts get squeezed in as you found out.

PNW EXPLR

Local Expert Southeast Washington, USA
Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
This. I also do this after the clips are installed if the joints are stiff to turn. I use WD40 on the caps when removing and installing them. On caps that have been in for eons I use a little heat before I press them, otherwise the shafts get squeezed in as you found out.
Yup, that's what happened. Gunna run down to the parts store in a bit. Will try not to break another $20 bill.:angry:

PNW EXPLR

Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
Well, good news! I got another ujoint…..Bad news, the holes in the stub shaft are slightly elongated. Like by a few hundreds of an inch. So, not wanting any potential failure points in the future, that could have been prevented in the past, I ordered a new stub shaft. Another delay! Oh well.

PNW EXPLR

Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
Progress, got the new stub shaft and all new seals. Pressed the shafts together, no issues!

Also sent the rusty rotors off to get blasted. Got them back, shot them with some 2000* aluminum paint then took them over tho get resurfaced..While I was waiting I removed ALL the old crusty grease in the hubs, wire wheeled them, and gave them a coat of Hi-Temp gloss black.....it helps hide the oil leaks!
tempImageRKuMEA.jpg

tempImageoBkSPO.jpg

PNW EXPLR

Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
Moving on to the rear 14 bolt full float axle.
Ordered up a disc brake conversion kit from lugnut4x4.com
Should shave a little weight, the old drums are massive, and make for improved braking....plus looks way cooler!
Screen Shot 2022-09-14 at 6.44.07 PM.png