Brian
Last Name
Nichols
Member #

Service Branch
Firefighter
You're on the right track!
You know what they say, "Anything worth doing, is worth over doing!"

The motor is a 2002 GM 8.1L 496 c.i. and the transmission is a2006 Allison 1000 6 speed 4x4.

I figured this combo would get her down the road and up the trails pretty good.
I will be doing a couple of upgrades to the 8.1 before it gets installed. At the very least will be a cam swap. If I can fund it a set of aluminum heads.
Because the 8.1 ain't enough, LOL!

PNW EXPLR

Local Expert Southeast Washington, USA
Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
Because the 8.1 ain't enough, LOL!
Lol...Well it's enough displacement to make a good starting point. I ultimately chose to go with the 8.1 because of its ability to make huge torque #'s right off idle. With a cam swap, better flowing heads, and a different intake, this motor will make over 500 ft/lbs of torque at 1800 - 2000 rpm. Right where this rig will spend much of it's life running around the back country.

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Love it! Killer rig and it's always cool to see the 8.1 get some love. And heck, you can't beat an Allison.

-TJ

Reactions: PNW EXPLR

PNW EXPLR

Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
Nice to see another International getting fixed up to hit the trails. Good luck on the build. 8.1 is a monster of an engine.
I wish there were more people out there that were willing to put the effort into resurrecting these old rigs. You can build a really nice, and capable rig for less than you can buy a new Tacoma or jeep.

Last edited:

PNW EXPLR

Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
Very cool truck, and rare. I love these old rigs, however a GM power train would not be my first choice.
Thanks! I originally was thinking about putting a 5.9 Cummins in it but was a bit concerned about the weight. Even considered a Mercedes diesel. Ultimately I went with the GM cause you can walk into any parts store and get parts off the shelf.
What would have been your choice of drivetrain?

Reactions: eriefisher

eriefisher

Rank III

Advocate I

Southern Ontario, Canada
First Name
Dan
Last Name
LaForme
I get it with the parts availability for GM. An OM606 Mercedes would be a great choice for diesel. It will make a lot of power and keep the weight down. If you can get a hold of one. The Cummins are nice but real heavy. The new one the just put out could be. Good choice as well but not sure on the specs.

PNW EXPLR

Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
I get it with the parts availability for GM. An OM606 Mercedes would be a great choice for diesel. It will make a lot of power and keep the weight down. If you can get a hold of one. The Cummins are nice but real heavy. The new one the just put out could be. Good choice as well but not sure on the specs.
The OM606 is a pretty amazing motor! Was looking at those, just couldn't get past the way it sounds. Would be weird in an International.

eriefisher

Rank III

Advocate I

Southern Ontario, Canada
First Name
Dan
Last Name
LaForme
If you replace the pump with a mechanical one and use a larger turbo they make ridiculous amounts of HP and torque without touching the internals at all. I wish there were more around. I still run into a complete car now and again and I am always tempted. Easy enough to get adapter plates for just about any transmission you likely to use as well

PNW EXPLR

Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
Here is video that demonstrates the power that is achievable with a little effort.

Reactions: M Rose

PNW EXPLR

Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
The nice thing about working on the road is the ability to shop marketplace and Craigslist along my route home for parts.

Picked up these flat top D44/10 bolt knuckles in Michigan. They are brand new for a pretty good price of $250.
media.jpg

I also swung by a place in South Dakota that had a bunch of old square bodies and picked up a couple NP205’s and a 203 that may get used as a doubler.
media.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

PNW EXPLR

Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
Today I got some help from a buddy. I picked up a 2 ton engine hoist from the local “Chinesium tool peddler”. We got that assembled and put it to work getting the replacement axles up on the diy rack.
232044-e33b9ebb6017645de9ffc99ae0a5b2ea.jpg

232045-0c2cf89e4a98a6dc9f5abffe301219d8.jpg

Attachments

Last edited: