Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
So, apparently, heavy duty engine stands are Unobtainium right now....challenge excepted!

Started out buy running down to the Metal Supply yard, NOT the local home store! The metal supply will ALWAYS beat the home center prices, by A LOT!

Picked up 20' of 1 1/2" x .250" wall square tube for $230.00.

Started measuring out the dimensions I would need for this 496 cu/in monster.
Then got to work...

image1 (2).jpeg

image0 (2).jpeg

image2 (3).jpeg

image1 (3).jpeg

image0 (3).jpeg

More tomorrow....

PNW EXPLR

Local Expert Southeast Washington, USA
Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
I need these skills in my life, thanks for sharing.
I share these parts of the build process to show that anyone can do it. Go buy an affordable welding machine, watch a couple videos and build something.
As an example, on this International build, swapping in the efi 8.1 is a bit intimidating to me cause I have never messed with ecu tuning and auto electronics is not my strongest skill set, but, I will learn.

Eric W.

Rank III
Investor

Enthusiast III

Virginia, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Wallace
Member #

I share these parts of the build process to show that anyone can do it. Go buy an affordable welding machine, watch a couple videos and build something.
As an example, on this International build, swapping in the efi 8.1 is a bit intimidating to me cause I have never messed with ecu tuning and auto electronics is not my strongest skill set, but, I will learn.
You may have just inspired me to get an affordable welder. I've been telling myself I wish I had/need to learn to weld for awhile now.

Reactions: PNW EXPLR

PNW EXPLR

Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
You may have just inspired me to get an affordable welder. I've been telling myself I wish I had/need to learn to weld for awhile now.
Do it!

Eastwood has a great line of welding machines. They cost a bit more then the Chinese ones that are available but very reliable. I have had my 175 mig for almost 10 years. I have run countless spools of wire through it and it keeps going.

1 tool at a time!

PNW EXPLR

Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
The last few days have been busy. I have still been making the effort to do SOMETHING each day.

Got the engine section of the cart completed. That allowed me to move the monster power plant safely out to the driveway. I then labeled all of the wiring harness connections and removed the wiring harness from the motor. Some connectors will be needed later when connecting the new harness.
Then I spent quite a bit of time scrubbing and pressure washing the engine.
image5.jpeg

image3 (1).jpeg

image0 (4).jpeg
Soon they will be united!

shortbus4x4

Rank II

Enthusiast III

If you find the Allison transmission and bellhousing is too big too fit in your Travelall a 4L80E was also used behind the 8.1 in the Suburbans. I have 8.1 and NV4500 for my 66 International PU. They are excellent engines. Looking forward to seeing this next year at the Binder Bash?

PNW EXPLR

Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
If you find the Allison transmission and bellhousing is too big too fit in your Travelall a 4L80E was also used behind the 8.1 in the Suburbans. I have 8.1 and NV4500 for my 66 International PU. They are excellent engines. Looking forward to seeing this next year at the Binder Bash?
Hopefully it will fit. If not I imagine i will be doing some sheet metal work on the tunnel. Really have my heart set on at least a 5 speed.

I end up making it to the Binder Bash. Was a bit of a mission finding the actual location. Went to 3 wrong places first then found a craigslist ad with the right location.

I really need me a Travelette, was cool to see a 5.9 cummins swapped one!
binder bash 3.jpeg

PNW EXPLR

Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
How's your Travelall coming? Binder Bash 2023 is June 17. Hope to see you there with your Travelall.
It’s going. I am building the axles right now.
Anybody who knows me, knows that I can’t not make something clean and new looking. Form must meet function!
media.jpg

media.jpg

media.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

PNW EXPLR

Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
I will be changing up the plan for the transmission. I really want to run the Allison, but I am thinking that it would be more cost effective to run an NV4500.
So, I will be listing the Allison 1000 5 speed . I think I can make a few buck on it and should be pretty close to breaking even funding an NV4500 and all the pieces I will need.

Reactions: M Rose

shortbus4x4

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Anybody who knows me, knows that I can’t not make something clean and new looking. Form must meet function!
media.jpg

media.jpg

media.jpg
When it comes to old Internationals that is a very very deep rabbit hole you went down. See you on the other side. Some of us Just Internationals club members are talking about a convoy to the Rocky Mountain IH Rendezvous next July. The more the merrier, and we want group discounts on tows.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
When it comes to old Internationals that is a very very deep rabbit hole you went down. See you on the other side. Some of us Just Internationals club members are talking about a convoy to the Rocky Mountain IH Rendezvous next July. The more the merrier, and we want group discounts on tows.
I’ll run chase in a Ram just to make sure you all get there safely.

PNW EXPLR

Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
I’ll run chase in a Ram just to make sure you all get there safely.
Maybe you should drive my tow pig? Can fit 3 scouts!

Attachments

• Love
Reactions: M Rose

PNW EXPLR

Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
media.jpg

media.jpg

media.jpg
Yeah it is, this is my second. Kinda wanting a Travelette next!