First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
Hey all!

So I made a 2000 mile round trip a few weeks ago to scoop up this 1965 International Travelall Panel (D1200).
The D1200 is a 3/4 ton 4x4 delivery truck, and seem to be a fairly rare rig. Currently has a V8 304ci gas motor with a 4 speed floor shift manual trans (t-19..I think). The 4 wheel spinny box is a divorced np201 (i think?). Front Dana 44 with closed knuckles and not to sure of the rear axle. It does run and drive, but doesn't stop very well at all.

I will do my best to document the progress of the build here. Here is the vision....

Short term goals...

- Get it fully drivable.
- Clean Fuel tank.
- Replace brake master cylinder.
- Replace Driveshaft U-joints (all 6).
- Replace leaky diff pinion seals.
- Replace leaky Trans output shaft seal.
- figure out wiring mess to make lights work.
This "should" get her on the road, I hope!

Long term Vision...

- Possible 12v Cummins/NV4500 swap.
- 1 Ton axles
- 4-6" lift allowing 37" tires at a minimum.
- DIY Custom built bumpers.
- Build out cargo area to allow for Vehicle dependent travel.

And here she is,

image0.jpeg

image2.jpeg

image1.jpeg

image3.jpeg

image4.jpeg

PNW EXPLR

Local Expert Southeast Washington, USA
Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
So over the last few weeks i have moved the rig into a dry storage. I am working in Oregon so i have it here with me so that I can take care of the needed issues to get it back on the road.

Currently I have the fuel tank pulled, I removed all 3 drive shafts, and will pick up the master cylinder tomorrow. U-joints will be here tomorrow. I have also ordered a Yoke puller that is needed to replace the pinion seals.
So in the meantime while waiting on stuff to arrive I decided to refurb the hood badge.

image0 (1).jpeg

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

I love this era of IH trucks. My Dad had a 1966 IH tow truck that I spent a lot of time in. Another place I worked at had a slightly newer one in the same colour as yours. They were a lot fun and a great learning experience.

You got a nice one! I've always liked the Travelalls.

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
Wow. Amazing find. If it were mine, I'd pull the entire wiring harness and replace it. Painless makes a kit. Otherwise, create a good ground, forward, middle and rear and make sure all the existing grounds go to those "secure" grounds. 90% of electrical failures are grounds. (especially with that new paint job) They disconnected grounds, painted the truck, and put the grounds back over the new paint.....LOL.
Nice project.
Zim

PNW EXPLR

Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
I love this era of IH trucks. My Dad had a 1966 IH tow truck that I spent a lot of time in. Another place I worked at had a slightly newer one in the same colour as yours. They were a lot fun and a great learning experience.

You got a nice one! I've always liked the Travelalls.
This is my second International. I had a Scout II that unfortunately I wrecked in 2015. I always knew that I would get another International. They were so ahead of the times.

I am looking forward to getting it out on the road.

Reactions: PCO6

PNW EXPLR

Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
Wow. Amazing find. If it were mine, I'd pull the entire wiring harness and replace it. Painless makes a kit. Otherwise, create a good ground, forward, middle and rear and make sure all the existing grounds go to those "secure" grounds. 90% of electrical failures are grounds. (especially with that new paint job) They disconnected grounds, painted the truck, and put the grounds back over the new paint.....LOL.
Nice project.
Zim
Yeah, I definitely plan to do a full rewire. I did that to my old scout using all weatherpac (GM style) connections. As soon as all of the mechanical issues are done I will focus on the electrical. I did notice a section of household extension cord running from under the dash to the rear of the rig….thinking it not factory!?

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Yeah, I definitely plan to do a full rewire. I did that to my old scout using all weatherpac (GM style) connections. As soon as all of the mechanical issues are done I will focus on the electrical. I did notice a section of household extension cord running from under the dash to the rear of the rig….thinking it not factory!?
If it’s yellow it’s stock LMAO

GLOCKer

Rank IV

Pathfinder II

Marietta, Georgia, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Battersby
Oh wow! This is cool and looks like it has so much potential! My mind is racing with ideas of what I'd do with it if it was mine. Can't wait to see how that big thing turns out in your hands!

Reactions: PNW EXPLR

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Belle Plaine, Kansas, 67013
Member #

Okay... question.

The rig is fairly rare, and you see to intend to devote a lot of blood sweat and tears to make it yours. But.... is it going to be a rig you'll actually take on the back roads and use, or more of show piece?

I'm asking because I'm at a cross roads with mine. The intent was to just do a mechanical refurbishment and then use it as a daily driver and to go on adventures along the back roads to the back-of-beyond.

After several years of work and a ton of blood sweat and tears it's drivable, but not finished, trop top still needs to be finished. My 'intent' is still the same, yet I'm getting a lot of flak from family and friends who thinks it should be handled with care. Didn't help my case when it won the 4x4 category of a car show. Insurance company isn't helping either.

So - what are your plans?

PNW EXPLR

Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
Okay... question.

The rig is fairly rare, and you see to intend to devote a lot of blood sweat and tears to make it yours. But.... is it going to be a rig you'll actually take on the back roads and use, or more of show piece?

I'm asking because I'm at a cross roads with mine. The intent was to just do a mechanical refurbishment and then use it as a daily driver and to go on adventures along the back roads to the back-of-beyond.

After several years of work and a ton of blood sweat and tears it's drivable, but not finished, trop top still needs to be finished. My 'intent' is still the same, yet I'm getting a lot of flak from family and friends who thinks it should be handled with care. Didn't help my case when it won the 4x4 category of a car show. Insurance company isn't helping either.

So - what are your plans?
So my plans are to turn heads……as I bomb down the trail in it!

In my opinion these trucks are meant to be used. Sure, I may take the “go around” trail if it gets to risky, but, I’ll be damned if I put all of that work into a mall crawler show car and don’t use it as it was originally intended.

PNW EXPLR

Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
I spent this long weekend rebuilding the driveshafts. Several u-joints were in pretty rough shape, and anybody who really knows me knows that I can’t just replace them without going all the way.
DC7072B8-1697-40E5-A726-A908FD7088C3.jpeg
I started by knocking out the old joints and cleaning the shafts to bare metal.
Then a good primer,
4585B7D1-EBA6-4B7F-B38B-2B412BE70F3F.jpeg
Next I spent hours digging out all of the dried up grease from the slip joints. It was so bad that there was really no slip remaining. This could have proved to be a bad issue out on the trail when thedrive lines needed to expand and contract as the suspension cycled.
Last a couple good coats of ceramic engine paint.
195C9BB4-3338-46D6-B45C-22040CB2D038.jpeg
Next will be to install all new genuine Spicer U-joints.

PNW EXPLR

Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
Got all 6 Spicer U-joints pressed in.
I also just ordered all new seals for the front and rear pinions, rear main engine seal, and the front and real transmission seals. Some I can pick up at Napa today after work and a couple will be sent in the mail.

Attachments

PNW EXPLR

Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
Hey all,

Today started the "Collect Parts" phase of the build.
Remember when I mentioned an LS swap, Well....That might have morphed a bit.....
GM Power.jpeg

Trans.jpeg

Any smarty pants out there that wanna let everyone know what we are looking at?

cmarrs11

Rank III

Traveler II

Shingle Springs, CA 95682, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Marrs
Member #

Hey all!

So I made a 2000 mile round trip a few weeks ago to scoop up this 1965 International Travelall Panel (D1200).
The D1200 is a 3/4 ton 4x4 delivery truck, and seem to be a fairly rare rig. Currently has a V8 304ci gas motor with a 4 speed floor shift manual trans (t-19..I think). The 4 wheel spinny box is a divorced np201 (i think?). Front Dana 44 with closed knuckles and not to sure of the rear axle. It does run and drive, but doesn't stop very well at all.

I will do my best to document the progress of the build here. Here is the vision....

Short term goals...

- Get it fully drivable.
- Clean Fuel tank.
- Replace brake master cylinder.
- Replace Driveshaft U-joints (all 6).
- Replace leaky diff pinion seals.
- Replace leaky Trans output shaft seal.
- figure out wiring mess to make lights work.
This "should" get her on the road, I hope!

Long term Vision...

- Possible 12v Cummins/NV4500 swap.
- 1 Ton axles
- 4-6" lift allowing 37" tires at a minimum.
- DIY Custom built bumpers.
- Build out cargo area to allow for Vehicle dependent travel.

And here she is,

View attachment 216549

View attachment 216550

View attachment 216551

View attachment 216552

View attachment 216553
Beautiful rig. I have a '67 Scout 800 I want to outfit one day......

PNW EXPLR

Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
A bit of a guess, 6.0 and 4L80E?
You're on the right track!
You know what they say, "Anything worth doing, is worth over doing!"

The motor is a 2002 GM 8.1L 496 c.i. and the transmission is a2006 Allison 1000 6 speed 4x4.

I figured this combo would get her down the road and up the trails pretty good.
I will be doing a couple of upgrades to the 8.1 before it gets installed. At the very least will be a cam swap. If I can fund it a set of aluminum heads.

PNW EXPLR

Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
Beautiful rig.
Hey Thanks! I have always loved Internationals. Would love to build a COE someday.

I have a '67 Scout 800 I want to outfit one day......
Not "One Day..." , Start today! Start putting your vision down on paper, Start saving any little bit of money you can towards your build. Break up the project into phases. Shop craigslist daily for the parts you will need in the future. Focus on getting it driving. You will gain so much motivation from making it a daily subject, instead of only thinking about it when you walk past it buried in the weeds.