Launch Member

Member III

Florida
First Name
John
Last Name
F
Member #

Outrageous! Just watched the build, with your mechanical aptitude and ingenuity you should be working for NASA or at least have your own TV show. Looking at your pix was like reading a good book couldn’t wait for the next page. Cant wait to see it completed.

58-fc170

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Setting up the battery isolator and dump bed solenoid. (no mike the LS isn't going in the FC-170)

IMG_1881.JPG

Also working on the harness and since the project wasn't hard enough I went with the all black wiring harness.
Heat, a/c, lots of extra lights (relays), radio, dual batteries and winches and the list goes on all requiring many many feet of wire.
IMG_1891.JPG

Tinker

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

West Michigan
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Klemish
Member #

The wiring has begun! Big job, but kinda cool to get to decide what you run & where.

Do I see the word "boost" written on the list attached to that LS? :wink:

GRIMGPR

Rank 0

Contributor I

Murrells Inlet, SC, USA
First Name
Grant
Last Name
Richardson
Just amazing have owned a couple of them used on our farm. No where near as nice as this build. Would have cut off an arm for a dump bed. :) Really loved the dash and your fab work is excellent. Love that front bumper!! This is a serious build it took me 3 years to restore my CJ7 well six months down from back surgery but nothing but a thing. Looking forward to the next post. Again amazing build :)

58-fc170

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Well call me nuts but parallel 4 link front and rear with air bags sounded like a good idea to add to the FC build up.
It has to ride better than the 9 leaf front and 11 leaf rear packs .
2'' square tubing with 0.25 wall 36" long should hold up to about anything.
Grease able poly bushings as I am looking for a better ride not a super twisty rock crawler.

IMG_8040[1].JPG

GLOCKer

Rank IV

Pathfinder II

Marietta, Georgia, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Battersby
This is a cool project! One of these would be awesome with a camper on the back or the Aussie style tray-back and canopy with RTT up top!

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Did you add in some bump stops in case you have a leak? Did you make the trailing arms the same length for a reason or is that just how they worked out?
Nice project. I love seeing things like this.

58-fc170

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

It is set up to drive with zero air if it has to. The firestone and slam air bags have the bump stops built into the insides.
The same length arms are for maintaining pinion angle as the suspension cycles. It isn’t planned to be a rock crawler just comfortable on dirt roads and mild two tracks. Build goal is smooth, quiet, and reliable .

Last edited:
Reactions: Motohead1

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
The firestone and slam air bags have the bump stops built into the insides.
I wasn't aware that was an option. I have a set of Firestone bags on one of my projects and they dont have built in bumps. If I build something else with bags, that's something I'm going to look for.

The same length arms are for maintaining pinion angle asa the suspension cycles.
That was the reason for the question. I've normally ended up with the upper being a bit shorter to ensure the pinion was angled correctly. A project like this I wouldn't worry over instant center, just pinion angle.

Great job.

58-fc170

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Here is some information on the slam re-8 bags I chose to use. Internal bump stops are a great feature on air bags when space is limited .280E4FF3-740D-447B-81EC-37B6C802E3B3.jpeg

Last edited: