1958 FC-170

• HTML tutorial

58-fc170

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Well after a bit of research the later Fc's had a larger tunnel for better cooling... So out came the plasma cutter and presto the heater/ac mount became higher up and angled. :sunglasses:

Then the tunnel sides commenced, 10 gauge should suffice. Lots of flap wheels will meet their ends smoothing out the welds.

My gas pedal arrived. It is from a telehandler as it was limited to a pedal that was floor mount and could have the cable coming from the back instead of the typical cable from the front.

Last edited:

58-fc170

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

I killed another bottle of welding gas and made up the fuel tanks. Well 95% done I need to finish the fill neck and senders then weld the tops of the tanks on. Then test them with some air pressure for leaks, line them with por 15 fuel tank sealer and be done with that part finally. 17.75 gallons per side should be good.

Then zapped in some new cab corners to replace the swiss cheese that was there. Appartently 1948 chevy truck cab corners have exactly the curves I needed so no hours of intensive metal shaping, I slammed the easy button.

Now I am getting close to the out fitting of the thing. On to the electrical :sunglasses:
16 breaker protected switches should cover about everything.. I think.

The ever growing shelf of electrical goodies.

Then shoved the Impala dash back in kinda to get an idea of what gauges I had and what I need to order.

On with the progress.

Tinker

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

West Michigan
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Klemish
Member #

Those tanks look they'll be tough, and all that glorious range! Pretty lucky the way it worked out with those cab corners, bit time/work saver there.

58-fc170

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Thanks . If I recall right the tanks are 16 gauge (maybe thicker) and 1x1 1/8 angle on all corners. Just a bit heavy to lug around.
Range at 12 mpg is only 426 miles, I’ll definately be hauling along a couple 5 gallon old school jerry cans.

58-fc170

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Slight progress/ update:

After three days spend flipping the tanks around the back yard , rinsing and drying then repeat x3 the POR 15 tank lining is complete. Primed then two coats of paint and they are finally mounted in their final locations on the FC. :grinning:

Once that was complete I zapped together the dual battery mounts that hide behind the tanks. I am using dual 3ET batteries for the ample reserve capacity. Three inch clearance to the exhaust but will still probable make a heat shield for both sides.

I finally conquered the upper windshield frame rot it only took 3 years to devise a plan and implement it.

I snatched up a 15 gallon portable fuel tank (about 38"x15") with hose and nozzle that I plan to just set in the bed in place of jerry cans. I think it will work quite well. That bumps total fuel capacity to just over 50 gallons, which should be enough for most wandering trips.

Onward as September is approaching.

Cort

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
Awesome build!!!! Reminds me of a 1960 FC170 I saw in Grand Marai in the UP. I tracked it down on the web and it was built by a shop called Roam Automtive, they have an overland group up there too.

Keep up the great work!

E3857BC6-75C5-4A70-BB99-8402562DC025.jpeg 252FF476-50CC-4A4C-8BB4-B1C8C92573A9.jpeg

58-fc170

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Yep the roam jeep was interesting.

On with the my progress minimal as it may be:

I pulled the 58 impala dash out to have better access for the rust repair and reinforcement.

I managed to get the front A-pillars & door posts beefed up with some 2x2 decently thick square tubing.

Welded solidly to the new 1/8 plate floor pans.

Then continued the tubing back over the doors and across the rear of the cab.

The next phase is run the tubing down to the rear cab mounts. All this extra tubing is to add some rigidity and slightly more safety to a pretty weak cab structure and roof.

Last edited:

58-fc170

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Called in some reinforcements .

4 hours of media blasting later, shinny:

Then hit the whole thing with 1.5 gallons of etching primer and it finally looks like I am getting some where.

Still some sheet metal to weld in but it’s gonna be much nicer finishing it out with out rust and junk getting all the shinny new parts messed up.

Last edited:

Tinker

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

West Michigan
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Klemish
Member #

Oh hell yeah, bet it's a trip seeing it in primer now! Always a sign of things close to some reassembly action :openmouth: