16Rav4 snorkel and roof basket

• HTML tutorial

16rav4_project

Rank IV

Influencer II

Shelby,NC
IMG_2953.JPG IMG_2981.JPG IMG_2984.JPG IMG_1865.JPG IMG_1864.JPG IMG_2953.JPG This is my 2016 RAV4 LE AWD that I am rigging up with stuff. The roof basket I bought from Walmart $100. The LED POD lights on the roof basket are off of amazon $16.99 for the pair. After drilling holes in the baskets lower frame I installed them and wired them up. The two on the front are spot lights and the two on the sides are fog lights. The snorkel is a tough challenge I have accepted. The snorkel was for a 90's jeep Cherokee that I bought from a guy for $70. After seeing how the lower part of the snorkel would fit the fender well enough to work. I bought another front driver side quarter panel off of Ebay for $65. The snorkel was cut in half where it starts to go up the A pillar. After putting a 2" rubber hoes I bought from lowes for $4.38 between the two holes. I twisted and bent the top of the snorkel to the right angle so it was parallel to the A pillar. After that I molded it where I had cut it in half and painted back of over it. After seeing how the paint looked off from the rest of the snorkel color. I then thought it was best to wrap it. So I picked gorilla black tape for now. I drilled holes in the new fender and mounted the snorkel as you can see in the pictures. I had to cut the piece where the snorkel goes into the fender because it would no clear the top framing of the car. I am now working on hooking up the snorkel to the air box and sealing off everything.

Saints&Sailors

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

I'd be interested to hear/see what you're all able to do with your RAV4. I like the unorthodox overland vehicles and it opens up the possibilities for many individuals. AWD and a little bit of ground clearance will take you much farther than most people think! Digging the low-cost build!

Did you decide to add the snorkel to get cleaner/cooler air while on dusty roads or were you thinking of doing water crossings? If it's the latter, have you given any thought to extending breather tubes for your transmission, diffs, etc. and sealing your electrical connections? I'm not very familiar with Toyotas in general so I can't comment on the design of your RAV4 in particular.

Reactions: 16rav4_project

16rav4_project

Rank IV

Influencer II

Shelby,NC
I'd be interested to hear/see what you're all able to do with your RAV4. I like the unorthodox overland vehicles and it opens up the possibilities for many individuals. AWD and a little bit of ground clearance will take you much farther than most people think! Digging the low-cost build!

Did you decide to add the snorkel to get cleaner/cooler air while on dusty roads or were you thinking of doing water crossings? If it's the latter, have you given any thought to extending breather tubes for your transmission, diffs, etc. and sealing your electrical connections? I'm not very familiar with Toyotas in general so I can't comment on the design of your RAV4 in particular.
Here in NC we have the beach and mountains and swamps as well as every season. But it's more for better air. I'm gonna buy a different head for the snorkel before the summer for on the beach.

16rav4_project

Rank IV

Influencer II

Shelby,NC
IMG_3325.jpg IMG_3312.JPG IMG_3316.PNG IMG_3310.JPG IMG_3297.jpg IMG_3342.PNG IMG_3325.jpg Thank you guys. Sorry I havnt done any updates. I put a lift kit on it march 1st and 2 weeks later 245/70/r17 pathfinder all terrain tires. The snorkel was removed and working on making it more clean looking and having an actual hook up to the air box. I will be at the yotamafia meet in Alanta Georgia and I will also be at the overland east expo later this year camping out. Here are more pictures of the lift and tires. I also attached a picture of a RAV4 with a bumper I'm thinking about getting

Reactions: bajablastgg

Rav4_Overland

Rank VIII

Steward I

Kyle, Texas, United States
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Lindquist
Member #

View attachment 19377 View attachment 19378 View attachment 19379 View attachment 19380 View attachment 19381 View attachment 19382 View attachment 19377 Thank you guys. Sorry I havnt done any updates. I put a lift kit on it march 1st and 2 weeks later 245/70/r17 pathfinder all terrain tires. The snorkel was removed and working on making it more clean looking and having an actual hook up to the air box. I will be at the yotamafia meet in Alanta Georgia and I will also be at the overland east expo later this year camping out. Here are more pictures of the lift and tires. I also attached a picture of a RAV4 with a bumper I'm thinking about getting
Looks awesome, I’ve been thinking about doing a snorkel as well. Any updates on it?