Launch Member

Advocate II

Colorado, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Lap
Member #

I have been plagued with the upgrade bug since a young age. Nothing of mine stays stock. So the questions are:

Anyone have opinions on Cooper Discover AT3 tires? I want them in 275/70r18. Also open to other brands and types as long as prices stay about the same. ($1300 installed)

Anyone have opinions on lift kits for a 2008 Jeep JKU?
I'm looking at the OME medium duty 2" lift but also looking at AEV, Rock Krawler, and Rubicon Express. OME is priced very well ($850) and from what I have read has been great. But just wanted to hear some other opinions.

Thank you guys!

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
I run Duratracs on my Wrangler. Started out with Cooper Discover AT3's. They did great in snow. Only had them a couple months before my 2" BB and new wheels and tires. Recently upgraded to a 3" Zone lift. Had the front axle sleeved and gusseted. Now I'm looking at 35's. I'm sticking with Duratracs. They aren't the best at anything, but, are great at everything. I have load range E. As far as the lifts you specified, I don't have any working knowledge so I can't comment. But yah, the Coopers were very decent. But I read a thread on here not to long ago about some issues with Coopers. I think it was a tire thread in the general discussion forum. Might have to dig back a couple pages for it.

scubasteve2002

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Colorado, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Lap
Member #

I run Duratracs on my Wrangler. Started out with Cooper Discover AT3's. They did great in snow. Only had them a couple months before my 2" BB and new wheels and tires. Recently upgraded to a 3" Zone lift. Had the front axle sleeved and gusseted. Now I'm looking at 35's. I'm sticking with Duratracs. They aren't the best at anything, but, are great at everything. I have load range E. As far as the lifts you specified, I don't have any working knowledge so I can't comment. But yah, the Coopers were very decent. But I read a thread on here not to long ago about some issues with Coopers. I think it was a tire thread in the general discussion forum. Might have to dig back a couple pages for it.
Those are the tires I'm running now haha 275/60/18 I think. I love them but the price kills me. But thank you for the help. Sounds like you have an awesome rig! I will go check out the other page on here. Thanks again.

Reactions: ShawnR

jkxranger

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Oregon
First Name
Adrian
Last Name
Simms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC7CJB
I would also recommend Duratracs, I ran them on my 2011 JKU in 285/70 17 with a Daystar 2" spacer lift. But I did nothing really hardcore. They only ran me about $1400 for 5 installed.

Byron Eby

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Sacramento, CA
Member #

@scubasteve2002
I have the two inch OME HD lift on my T4R and it is great. The HD springs are a bit stiff and bouncy but once you start adding heavy mods it will balance it out and wont sag.
Pros:
-Flex is great
-Handles much better than stock
-Limits body roll(from stiffer springs)
-Looks great duh!

Cons:
-Just a bit bouncy(you'll get used to it)

Reactions: scubasteve2002

scubasteve2002

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Colorado, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Lap
Member #

@scubasteve2002
I have the two inch OME HD lift on my T4R and it is great. The HD springs are a bit stiff and bouncy but once you start adding heavy mods it will balance it out and wont sag.
Pros:
-Flex is great
-Handles much better than stock
-Limits body roll(from stiffer springs)
-Looks great duh!

Cons:
-Just a bit bouncy(you'll get used to it)
Awesome!! I'm sold on them! Lol same stuff I have been reading is basically what you posted. And bouncy is nothing for me haha. I have a 2002 WRX on coil overs. You hit a few bumps in a row and I'm bouncing in my race seats like a jelly bean haha.

Reactions: Byron Eby

Byron Eby

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Sacramento, CA
Member #

@scubasteve2002 Then you should have no problem at all! I have a post somewhere in vehicle build threads about the rear springs being different lengths. You should check it out if you plan on installing the lift yourself. When I did mine, OME for american applications, purposely makes that driver-side coil .46 inches longer to compensate for the gas tank and driver weight. It may or may not be the same for your Jeep.

scubasteve2002

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Colorado, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Lap
Member #

Well I guess I overlooked a tire to talk about. I got a pretty good quote on a set of 5 BFGoodrich All-Terrain KO2's in 275/70r18. I'm pretty set on those but what's your guys opinion on those if you have some? Thank you for all the help so far!

RescueRangers

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Fleming Island, Fl
Member #

Coopers are good tires, daughter runs them on her Libby. I am running Falkens (12.5X35X17) but may try out the Coopers my next set (30,000 on the Falkens and still look like they are new). I would recommend running 17's, you will save a bunch of money per tire and you get a lot more sidewall. More sidewall is good off road, and makes for better ride quality on road.

Lift, I run 3 inch and think its the best compromise. You get enough clearance to get over most everything, you get more than enough clearance to run 35's (I run 35's and the only rub is on the front bumper in reverse at full lock but not enough rub to leave a mark on the plastic front bumper), and you don't have to replace a bunch of other suspension parts to run it. The only issue I am having with my set up is with the alignment, its max'd out and will need adjustable links to get that last little bit of adjustment but its close enough that it isn't a must have.

Overland-Indiana

Overland Bound - Midwest Regional Ambassador
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

+1 To OME, they make great products.. When I replace my front coil springs they will be OME along with the shocks.

scubasteve2002

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Colorado, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Lap
Member #

Awesome!! Thank you all for some great input. I just ordered the KO2s and super excited to get them in. After the wedding I might be able to get the OME 2" lift.

toxicity_27

US MidWest Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Member II

Minnesota
Member #

I've got a Rock Krawler 2.5" lift and love it. It's been able to handle the weight I've put in my Jeep, flexes amazingly and rides better than stock.

scubasteve2002

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Colorado, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Lap
Member #

So a small report on the BFG KO2. Haven't had them on the trail yet only roads. But road manners are amazing! Steering response is much faster now, road noise is non-existent, and going over bumps and potholes isn't as harsh as before. But you can feel every little crack or detail in the road. Which I quite like having a lot of feel in the steering wheel!