Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Old and tired suspension would definitely cause clearance issues if you go up to a 32 inch tire.
Dosent have to be old. 32's just don't fit without at least 3" of lift or 2" spacers and front valence trimming or removal for aftermarket bumper.

CatPowerDude

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Concord, NC
Member #

Do you still have a front and rear sway bars connected? You could probably remove the rears and not notice a difference, but you’ll definitely notice a difference in center of gravity changes with the front sway bar disconnected.
I have the front disconnected. It’s on a quick disconnect. The rear is connected I need to buy another quick disconnect for it. But yeah it’s a noticeable difference from when the front is connected and disconnected, and that was before the tent.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I'm just now realizing that you have no winch. Will your front bumper handle one. How would you access it, from the bottom ? Your bumper dosent look like it has enough room on top for mounting.
NM 4 wheelers won't let me trip with them without a winch, tow hooks, tow straps and doubling devise, some trails also required to have a rear locker !

CatPowerDude

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Concord, NC
Member #

I'm just now realizing that you have no winch. Will your front bumper handle one. How would you access it, from the bottom ? Your bumper dosent look like it has enough room on top for mounting.
NM 4 wheelers won't let me trip with them without a winch, tow hooks, tow straps and doubling devise, some trails also required to have a rear locker !
No winch yet. I will replace the front bumper with one designed for a winch when it comes time to put one in.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Sure wish I could afford your discards. I'm still waiting on my welder to start mine which will look like yours except deeper in the middle section for winch and mounted to what would be your bottom of bumper so as not to block the radiator.

CatPowerDude

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Concord, NC
Member #

A73FBB51-D839-4266-BE69-47A02A084805.jpgIMG_4205.JPGIMG_4208.JPGIMG_4200.JPG

The rover is back in the shop getting another new engine courtesy of Atlantic British since it was finally determined after 19 months that it was the engine I bought through them consuming coolant. Hopefully the next engine doesn’t have any problems and I can start taking this thing more places and not worry about cooling issues any more. Here are a few pics from my last outing.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
View attachment 129371View attachment 129372View attachment 129373View attachment 129374

The rover is back in the shop getting another new engine courtesy of Atlantic British since it was finally determined after 19 months that it was the engine I bought through them consuming coolant. Hopefully the next engine doesn’t have any problems and I can start taking this thing more places and not worry about cooling issues any more. Here are a few pics from my last outing.
Have you ever seen a green man ? I am so jealous I cant stand myself. Rigs like yours are what pushes me to improve on what I have. I'm glad Atlantic made good on your engine.. Who will do your swap ? How many miles were on the original engine. I assume it was a 4.6 and not the 4.0 ? Your rear bumper is built the way I want mine, where did it come from. I like the front bumper too, someone knows how to build them to make the rig have a good stance (appearance) !!Where were the pictures taken ? Drool drool drool Did I tell you I like it a lotttttt.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I have the front disconnected. It’s on a quick disconnect. The rear is connected I need to buy another quick disconnect for it. But yeah it’s a noticeable difference from when the front is connected and disconnected, and that was before the tent.
When do you disconnect and does it help that much on technical terrane ? It seems gto me like a disconnect would make it top heavy but maybe thats what you want for artriculation. ???

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
View attachment 129371View attachment 129372View attachment 129373View attachment 129374

@CatPowerDude could you show me a picture of your rear bumper ?

CatPowerDude

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Concord, NC
Member #

Recently bought and installed new tactical rovers front bumper. Now I just need to buy a winch. Have some other parts trickling in, such as a crossmember spacer, and drive shaft spacer. The newest engine is in and running pretty decent after I replaced both front oxygen sensors. Going to take it out this weekend to West Virginia and hunt for some snow. IMG_4373.JPG

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Recently bought and installed new tactical rovers front bumper. Now I just need to buy a winch. Have some other parts trickling in, such as a crossmember spacer, and drive shaft spacer. The newest engine is in and running pretty decent after I replaced both front oxygen sensors. Going to take it out this weekend to West Virginia and hunt for some snow. View attachment 135425
Really cool Disco, they're still one of my favorites. Bummer about the engine troubles, but at least the vendor stepped up and covered a new engine for you. Much like the 4.7 in my WJ I know heat is the enemy of those 4.6s... have you already done cooling mods (apologies if you already covered that, I haven't gone through all the pages of your thread yet)?

As for the winch, I just bought this: Smittybilt X2O 10K Waterproof Synthetic Rope 10000lb Wireless Winch Gen2 with Fairlead - 98510 but it was on sale another 10% off (so I paid less than $500 with tax and shipping). I have friends that have run them with great success (no issues). For the price it had all the features I wanted (synthetic rope, wireless control, etc.) so I tried not to get too hung-up on name brand stuff. I got a hidden winch mount for behind my bumper until I can do a "real" bumper down the road. It's the Gen2, and the Gen3 is out... but I couldn't justify $200 more for basically just the slicker looks of the Gen 3 since it'll be behind my bumper. In fact, I like the plain fairlead of the Gen2 better, since that's all that will be exposed. My WJ should be about 4300lbs itself stock, so probably 4500lbs as it will sit with the lift/wheels & tires/winch etc. Add me and some gear and it's over 5k I'm sure. The "rule of thumb" for winch sizing is 1.5x the weight of the loaded vehicle, so I "should" have at least a 7,500lbs winch. At $10k this one is about double my loaded vehicle weight, so I couldn't justify the extra $ to go up to a 12k. Even if you go by GVWR for my WJ which is 5,500lbs then I should be at 8,250lbs for the winch, so 10k should be great.

-TJ

CatPowerDude

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Concord, NC
Member #

Really cool Disco, they're still one of my favorites. Bummer about the engine troubles, but at least the vendor stepped up and covered a new engine for you. Much like the 4.7 in my WJ I know heat is the enemy of those 4.6s... have you already done cooling mods (apologies if you already covered that, I haven't gone through all the pages of your thread yet)?

As for the winch, I just bought this: Smittybilt X2O 10K Waterproof Synthetic Rope 10000lb Wireless Winch Gen2 with Fairlead - 98510 but it was on sale another 10% off (so I paid less than $500 with tax and shipping). I have friends that have run them with great success (no issues). For the price it had all the features I wanted (synthetic rope, wireless control, etc.) so I tried not to get too hung-up on name brand stuff. I got a hidden winch mount for behind my bumper until I can do a "real" bumper down the road. It's the Gen2, and the Gen3 is out... but I couldn't justify $200 more for basically just the slicker looks of the Gen 3 since it'll be behind my bumper. In fact, I like the plain fairlead of the Gen2 better, since that's all that will be exposed. My WJ should be about 4300lbs itself stock, so probably 4500lbs as it will sit with the lift/wheels & tires/winch etc. Add me and some gear and it's over 5k I'm sure. The "rule of thumb" for winch sizing is 1.5x the weight of the loaded vehicle, so I "should" have at least a 7,500lbs winch. At $10k this one is about double my loaded vehicle weight, so I couldn't justify the extra $ to go up to a 12k. Even if you go by GVWR for my WJ which is 5,500lbs then I should be at 8,250lbs for the winch, so 10k should be great.

-TJ
Yeah I have done a ton of research on winches. I was planning on actually getting the gen 3 12k smittybilt. Just waiting to see if it will go on sale at a place I can pick it up locally. And yes I have done some cooling mods. I have the 180° thermostat. All new hoses, new radiator, aluminum overflow and aluminum coolant T. It’s still will run a little warm when cruising at 85mph so I might switch to an in-line thermostat.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Yeah I have done a ton of research on winches. I was planning on actually getting the gen 3 12k smittybilt. Just waiting to see if it will go on sale at a place I can pick it up locally. And yes I have done some cooling mods. I have the 180° thermostat. All new hoses, new radiator, aluminum overflow and aluminum coolant T. It’s still will run a little warm when cruising at 85mph so I might switch to an in-line thermostat.
Tell me what you know about the inline 180 degree thermo. Where can you get them ? Are they made for the Disco or is it the one made for Corvettes ? I live in the southwest and with the heat we have here almost everyone runs a 180 degree thermo. If you install the 180 degree thermo does it require a different set of hoses of can it be spliced in somehow ?

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

I don't want to be "that guy" but maybe a Disco II with Overlanding gear on it just doesn't want to run 85 MPH?

-TJ

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Recently bought and installed new tactical rovers front bumper. Now I just need to buy a winch. Have some other parts trickling in, such as a crossmember spacer, and drive shaft spacer. The newest engine is in and running pretty decent after I replaced both front oxygen sensors. Going to take it out this weekend to West Virginia and hunt for some snow.
I checked today on the price of your bumper. The internet said it was $1295, then I called them to see if they would make one for me without all that top of bumper junk I don't want. They told me they could make one for $1295 + shipping of $150. I said why is it the same price as the one with all the junk. He said Oh, that one is $1495 now, $1695 delivered.. I said forget it, that's a rip off. then I kept browsing their web and found one without all the junk on top. It was priced at $477 and free shipping. I don't know what's going on with the sales dept. but I may just go ahead and order the strip down version even tho it's not the same bumper and hangs down about 2" lower at the corners because it's thicker. Sure wish I could buy your old bumper.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign

-TJ
Dont forget, if you use a snatch block it doubles your pulling power. You could easily get by with an 8-or 10k winch on a 5000 # vehicle.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I don't want to be "that guy" but maybe a Disco II with Overlanding gear on it just doesn't want to run 85 MPH?

-TJ
I think that's about the top speed running empty and stock. It's good enough for me because my disco loves 65 mph for some reason. I'm in no hurry to get somewhere anyway and I like to pass a filling station every once in a while !

Last edited: