02 ZR2 Blazer solid axle converted.

• HTML tutorial

Matt_Whitman

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Claremont Nh
Member #

Hey everyone. Thought I'd give some specs on my pile of junk. It's an 02 ZR2 Blazer. The front axle is from a 79 f250, full width with 4.56 gears and electric locker. Reid Racing knuckles with 79 Bronco outers. WFO high steer. Astro van steering box so the pitman sticks out the front. AllPro 6" front springs. Atlas II 3.8 low range t-case. Stock ZR2 rear 8.625 ten bolt housing. Yukon 4.56's and axles. Detroit Locker. Tatton driveshafts. 200 amp alternator. Cheap eBay led's. 12,500 lb winch. And other junk. Loving the class 6 roads of New Hampshire. Tread Lightly. http://forums.exploringnh.com/forum.php

Reactions: GoHeels

Overland-Indiana

Overland Bound - Midwest Regional Ambassador
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

Nice build, I have owned 6 S-Series vehicles and as you know (Or at least on all of mine it was this way) there was ALWAYS something broken lol.. i went through 6 HVAC vacuum control knobs in 1.5yrs, had to pull out the whole dash 3 times (once for blend door actuator, once for heater core, and once for all the mode door actuators) i loved the thing but damn....i spent more time fixing it than driving it. I bet set up like your since you did the SAS it is much more durable. I just never got the point of wanting to invest the time and money into a SAS on mine. My welding skills aren't the greatest so i would have had to pay to get the SAS done.

Reactions: Matt_Whitman

Matt_Whitman

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Claremont Nh
Member #

Yup. My hvac worked for the first month and then crapped out. It started as a lease in 02. I lifted it a month after I got it and then started breaking all the IFS junk. I finally got sick of it and SAS'd it last year. It cost more for the IFS lift kit than it did to SAS. It's a bolt in kit but my buddy welded it for peace of mind. So far all I broke was a shock. It's way more flexible than I thought it would be so the shocks it had first were too short.

Matt_Whitman

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Claremont Nh
Member #

Just an update. It's still ugly. Clutch fan finally too a crap so I converted it to an electric fan. The aftermarket t-case crossmember cracked again so I modified the stock one to work. My Baja Claw TTC's are getting a little thin in the skin so I'll be replacing them soon. They don't wear as well as some other tires but they have crazy traction and I never had a flat.

Attachments

Matt_Whitman

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Claremont Nh
Member #

Lol. Mines a cheap autozone fan I've had for years sitting around. I hope it lasts a while. I have it powered through a relay from keyed accessory with a deep water cut off switch.

Matt_Whitman

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Claremont Nh
Member #

Well I also changed to a 180 degree thermostat and flushed and changed coolant but she still got hot. I swapped out the fan for a flex a lite. We shall see what happens.