Zello PTT App ?

• HTML tutorial

tpetrone

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Is anyone using Zello for VOIP/Push to talk / Walkie Talkie? I just started using this to stay in touch with my family, but I figured it would be useful app for the OB community. I have an "OverLand Bound East " Channel set up if anyone is interested in testing.

http://zello.com/

Not affiliated , just like good software.

Reactions: BulliCruiser

RockyMountaineer

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Laramie, WY, USA
First Name
Mathew
Last Name
Threadgill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N5MST
It is a tool, but it also has some serious limitations.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

tpetrone

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Totally agree.. A tool with limitations.. but a great free/entry level tool that could get OBM's involved/connect and help transition to ( or include) CB, GMRS/FRS , HAM into their comm's equipment/tool set.

Who doesn't like Walkie Talkie on the iPhone/Android , tablet or computer ?

Reactions: BulliCruiser

Simon Wolfe

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sunnyvale, CA
First Name
Simon
Last Name
Wolfe
Member #

I had not heard of it until you mentioned it. I'm not sure about the usefulness while out on the trail but it is sure fun to play with around the house.

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Not bad as long as you have cell service. Some Jeep friends of mine that have used it said it drained their battery quicker than normal.

Maverick1701

Rank I

Off-Road Ranger I

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Tiedemann
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5KBG
I have never used it while wheeling. We have however used it at my Sheriff's Office with good results. If you have cell service it's awesome.

Kevigizmo

Western Europe Moderator
Launch Member

Influencer II

North Walsham, Norfolk, UK
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Titmarsh
Member #

I've used Zello a number of times before - i also have my own Zello box which i can hook up as an interface so Analogue handhelds can input into Zello for a local comms site and then broadcast across the closed Zello network for personal use

There are alot of public channels and some "agencies" use it as a quick method for comm's between members while "proper" comms gets setup

But - only works if you have a GSM data connection (or other internet connection)

Masheen365

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

South GA
Member #

First time I heard of it was the other day. My Special Operations Captain (fire dept) was telling us that they are using it to some extent in Texas. He had a clip of a guy who was looking to join a rescue team. It was funny cuz the guy was just saying how big and strong he was. "I'm 6'8" and strong as a bull or ox, whatever is strong, I'm that!"

Reactions: KyleGrant

tpetrone

Rank II

Enthusiast II

For those wanting to test the app out., look for "Overland Bound East" channel. I will be sitting on the channel as I drive down to Expo East on Thursday 9/28 starting around 8:30 am.

Reactions: TerryD

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign