Launch Member

Member I

Fairbanks, AK
First Name
Zach
Last Name
W
Member #

I bought this Jeep a little over 3 years ago with 74k. It now has 187k miles after 2.5 years of 140-160 mile round trip commutes. This is what I'm starting with:

Bumpers: ARB Front/Rear
Recovery: 10k Smittybilt, 3 Ton Chain Hoist, 20k tow strap
Armor: I forget the name but the previous owner put an actual belly skid on and barely used it from the looks of it. I have used it extensively.
Performance: PO installed a CAI and I put in a Traildash because I had a CTS in my Ram CTD and like the functionality it gives.

Where I'm Going:
Step 1: Routine Maintenance:
- Right now I am throwing a P06DD Code and am still trying to figure it out.
- Tomorrow: New Spark Plugs, Serpentine Belt, Check all pulleys, check steering joints, clean air filter.

Step 2: Leg Day
This Jeep has impressed me off road but it would be a shame to hold her back by keeping her stock. There are three options I'm looking at:
1: 2.5" Lift (Teraflex, RK, or build my own)
2: 3-3.5" Lift (Same Options)
3: No Lift and Flat Fenders

Goal is to fit 35s without rubbing and keep it somewhat low. My biggest issue with going to flat fenders is I think it will look really weird with the ARB bumper up front. If I build my own kit, I will be using mainly Rock Krawler components but adding a few other non-compromise parts. If I go with a kit, I will be adding said parts along with it.

Step 3: Storage
The JKU has a large cargo area but I've never liked the lack of organization. I'm thinking a two drawer side by side system. I'm pretty handy and have all the tools so I will be making it myself. I'm thinking up even with the wheel wells with tie downs on top.

I will try to keep this updated as much as possible but it may be somewhat slow and choppy with work and operating on the wife's approval for purchases. Any input from other more experienced builders is welcome.

Reactions: Marman

CO_Jeep_Zach

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Fairbanks, AK
First Name
Zach
Last Name
W
Member #

That sounds like a lot going on. Keep up the updates, I'd like to see how it turns out.
I can't wait to get it done. I got half of the spark plugs in and will finish tomorrow. Ordered wheels this morning and will probably order springs, trackbars, and control arms this week. The goal is to have the lift installed by the end of April.

Reactions: Jeepjk16

Jeepjk16

Rank V
Launch Member

Contributor I

Panhandle FL, USA
Member #

and some more money to keep feeding the beast LOL! I still want to lift our Jeep, 35's, drive trains, steering stabilizer, suspension, rear tire mount, roof rack, rooftop tent, among other things to get out there and camp. This is all new for us, but hopefully we'll have pictures out there on the back roads with smiles and stories to tell!

CO_Jeep_Zach

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Fairbanks, AK
First Name
Zach
Last Name
W
Member #

Well the build is on hold for the time being. After I replaced plugs and belt the brakes acted like abs was active. So she's going into the shop.

Marman

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Pleasant Hill, MO
First Name
Larry
Last Name
Marlowe
Member #

Service Branch
USAF Retired
Well the build is on hold for the time being. After I replaced plugs and belt the brakes acted like abs was active. So she's going into the shop.
Sucks to here, hope something cheap and easy to fix.

CO_Jeep_Zach

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Fairbanks, AK
First Name
Zach
Last Name
W
Member #

Got the Jeep back. It was just a vaccum line knocked loose. Also had the transmission serviced. Back to the weekend, the spark plugs I pulled were way overdue. I checked gap on a few and they were all .060ish when spec is 040. Serpintine belt was cracking so I'm glad I replaced it. Last thing I did was reaffix the tag up front. It got into a fight with a rock in moab and almost got pulled completely off. Some new bolts and a fender washer fixed that.

Attachments

CO_Jeep_Zach

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Fairbanks, AK
First Name
Zach
Last Name
W
Member #

This weekend was somewhat frustrating. I ordered a Rock Krawler 3.5 lift, Bilstein shocks, and a JKS adjustable rear trackbar last month and got it installed this weekend. I was installing the lift and planned on installing the brake lines and sway bar links last. Got to the rear end and realized that the track bar bracket didn't ship. Checked all of my boxes and neither were the links and brake lines. I will update if the supplier I used doesn't make this right in a short amount of time. I also picked up my tires and rims. Went with Pro Comp Vertigo rims wrapped with BFG KO2 35s. This is how she looks now with the rear sway bar taped up out of the way. I still need to center the rear axle a bit and get an alignment done. 20190407_173327.jpg

CO_Jeep_Zach

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Fairbanks, AK
First Name
Zach
Last Name
W
Member #

Long overdue update. Morris 4x4 took 2 weeks and several customer service reps to figure out the issue. A glitch in their system dropped the kit that includes what I was missing and didn't charge me for it. Then tried to charge me $467 to ship me the rest when the difference in price was $276. At this point the I had a CS Service rep named Roy that was all about fixing the issue and making something good out of something bad. His supervisor ruined all of that trying negotiate a price that was higher than what the difference between invoice and charge was. He said he wouldn't make any money on it and I told him I didn't care the price was $276 to my door or I would leave a poor review on all of my Jeep FB pages, Forums, Google, Yelp, etc. He thought that was a threat and after realizing it was not, it was shipped that day and took another week and a half to get to me because he cared about his bottom line more than having a return customer. This is the only place I have posted that experience using the Morris 4x4 name but I will likely never go through them again because of Mr. Knight. Roy was excellent though and should probably be the supervisor.

It has been pretty busy with a PCS to Virginia so I have been a pretty bad Jeep owner. The front axle was 1 1/16 off center and I haven't installed my extended brake lines yet. Death wobble hit me pretty bad so last night I dug through storage to get my tools and centered the front axle checked for DW and then centered the steering wheel. I went up the interstate about 20 miles and back with no issue and got my Cruise control back after not having it since the install. Ride quality of the rock krawler system is fantastic.

chasmdog

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Michigan
First Name
Charlie
Last Name
Schmidt
Member #

Long overdue update. Morris 4x4 took 2 weeks and several customer service reps to figure out the issue. A glitch in their system dropped the kit that includes what I was missing and didn't charge me for it. Then tried to charge me $467 to ship me the rest when the difference in price was $276. At this point the I had a CS Service rep named Roy that was all about fixing the issue and making something good out of something bad. His supervisor ruined all of that trying negotiate a price that was higher than what the difference between invoice and charge was. He said he wouldn't make any money on it and I told him I didn't care the price was $276 to my door or I would leave a poor review on all of my Jeep FB pages, Forums, Google, Yelp, etc. He thought that was a threat and after realizing it was not, it was shipped that day and took another week and a half to get to me because he cared about his bottom line more than having a return customer. This is the only place I have posted that experience using the Morris 4x4 name but I will likely never go through them again because of Mr. Knight. Roy was excellent though and should probably be the supervisor.

It has been pretty busy with a PCS to Virginia so I have been a pretty bad Jeep owner. The front axle was 1 1/16 off center and I haven't installed my extended brake lines yet. Death wobble hit me pretty bad so last night I dug through storage to get my tools and centered the front axle checked for DW and then centered the steering wheel. I went up the interstate about 20 miles and back with no issue and got my Cruise control back after not having it since the install. Ride quality of the rock krawler system is fantastic.
Sorry to hear about the bad experience with Morris 4x4. I've never done business with them, and based on your encounter, I think I'll keep it that way. BTW, that lift looks great with those rims and the KO2 35s. Have you started the drawer system yet?

CO_Jeep_Zach

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Fairbanks, AK
First Name
Zach
Last Name
W
Member #

Sorry to hear about the bad experience with Morris 4x4. I've never done business with them, and based on your encounter, I think I'll keep it that way. BTW, that lift looks great with those rims and the KO2 35s. Have you started the drawer system yet?
Honestly, it was mainly the incompetence of one CS rep and the blatant disregard for customer care from the supervisor. I won't be starting my drawer system until next year probably. We moved to Virginia until April and I no longer have the garage I had in Colorado. If it makes it that long. I've recently noticed some overheating that I need to run down. The radiator was slightly low but not much. I'll be checking the water pump next and hope it isn't that as I've heard that they are a pain.

CO_Jeep_Zach

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Fairbanks, AK
First Name
Zach
Last Name
W
Member #

Overheating is pretty much gone. New water pump and thermostat and the temps generally stay at 212 except for long grades. I may look into upgrading the cooling in the future. I went yesterday and hit Peter's Mill Run to see how everything performed. The trail is easy but I'll get a badge from Jeep soon and may take the wife's 16 Cherokee up and get her a badge. I did like the trail except for the fact that I hate mud but that's wheeling in the East for you. I ran into some a newer Jeep family that bought the TJ Rubicon back in February with 320k on it. Mom and dad rode passenger and let their son drive the trail. He was probably 13-14 and hadn't ever driven offroad but I think he is hooked and did very well. Up next is a full front steering joint surgery. It might take a while but I'll get it done in my spare time.20191019_172736.jpeg20191019_172656.jpeg20191019_140136.jpeg

Reactions: chasmdog

CO_Jeep_Zach

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Fairbanks, AK
First Name
Zach
Last Name
W
Member #

A few months ago I had a run in with bullwinkle. The ARB front bumper took the brunt of the damage but kept her from coming through the windshield. Waiting on the new bumper to come in so it can get in the body shop. I also have some recovery gear coming in. Got some soft shackles and two snatch blocks from Gear America and a synthetic line to replace the steel cable that's taken a beating from several ditch recoveries. Still need to get a fairlead to keep the new line from getting beat up. Probably a Factor 55 1.5" to keep the line from contacting the bumper.