YouTube video frequency from Overland Bound has really dropped off?

• HTML tutorial

MiamiC70

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Miami, FL, USA
First Name
MiamiC70
Last Name
MiamiC70
Member #

YouTube video frequency from Overland Bound has really dropped off? Anyone notice this? Any particular reason?

KD7WCD

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Influencer I

Tempe, AZ, USA
First Name
Jayson
Last Name
Adamsen
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD7WCD
Maybe it is that time of year that creators are out gathering content on thier summer time advertising?

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
"overlanding" has gotten to be a sponge that has been wrung dry...i'm even running out of low-brow humor regarding it :confused:

View attachment 263765
If you ever run out of humorous retorts and well played images, I think I would take that as a sign of the Apocalypse and end of the world as we know it ... lol

Ragman

Rank V
Investor

Explorer I

Geneva, IL, USA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gearhart
Member #

I hope it is because they are out enjoying themselves! I know this time of year certainly reduces the viewership as well.

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
I thought about joining the crowd and posting lots of wise-ass reviews and overland trips on YT. Even created a channel "CheapBastardOverland". But, any time I do something, I'm too busy actually doing that something to just stop and record it. Seems like all that effort would take the enjoyment out of why we do this.

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
But would it really? I mean really? It is and always was a fake made up hobby designed to sell consumers more crap that exploded during pandemic Along with #vanlife. Want to see how Vanlife is doing ? Lol
You're almost right. Overlanding in my opinion is fulltime/long distance traveling in rough country and that's almost impossible for most folks.
Next time I see a "Camel Trophy" caravan in southern Ohio, it may change my mind. LMAO
Zim

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
You're almost right. Overlanding in my opinion is fulltime/long distance traveling in rough country and that's almost impossible for most folks.
Very true.
A few good things came from it though. More people were introduced to car camping and my gear evolved. Not all bad.

Next time I see a "Camel Trophy"
Heh
I forgot about them. I followed it since it started. Too bad it went away.

Ragman

Rank V
Investor

Explorer I

Geneva, IL, USA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gearhart
Member #

That would be a very sad day for the community!
But would it really? I mean really? It is and always was a fake made up hobby designed to sell consumers more crap that exploded during pandemic Along with #vanlife. Want to see how Vanlife is doing ? Lol
I meant sad if Grubworm and his sense of humor dried up or went AWOL.

DintDobbs

Rank V

Advocate III

First Name
Daniel &
Last Name
the Vulture
@grubworm is like the unofficial face of this web site, just like ExplorerForum.com has Mbrooks420 and 410Fortune, ha ha.

True celebrities of our time.

Nevertheless, on topic, I haven't paid any attention whatsoever to the YT involvement in the community, so I can't speak for it. Generally I'd agree with the sentiment that experiencing it is superior to recording it.

Many of the ones who rode the trend just did so to get the views while it was popular. They will follow the new trend when it arises, and the so-called "Overlanding" videos will go the way of jumpscares and "Chubby Bunny". Good riddance!

It takes two to three times the effort of any journey to take actually decent footage (have to scout the path, then set up cameras, then go back and pretend you didn't scout the path first, then drive the path again) and that's not even to mention the time it takes to review footage and edit videos. These actions raise stress levels amongst the participants because not everybody wants to be on camera, and if the camera man actually respects that, then some shots have to be taken more than once.

Recording actual action is not fun, any way you slice it.

Last edited:
Reactions: MiamiC70