Ambassador, Africa

Influencer III

Randburg, South Africa
First Name
Christoff
Last Name
Eilerd
Member #

We've had a few close up animal encounters at camp over the years but this one stands out. 2008 Khutse game reserve, Botswana. We had these two boys in the middle of camp 01:00 in the morning, calling away. There is nothing quite like waking up to two big male lions roaring literally a few feet away...
DSC_1067.jpg DSC_1011.jpg

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Here are photos of from two of our favorite campsites in the lower 48, so far. We are still exploring so they may fall to third or fourth place in the future. That time out we spent three nights at each site. Completely off grid several hours from any services in any direction... At each site we encountered no other human beings, just my wife and I. The temps dropped into the mid teens every night. I miss each of these places and yearn to go back to them, but even more we yearn to find other campsites that offer the same in solitude. DSC00340.jpg DSC02946.jpg

amenges45

Rank II

Enthusiast III

clayton north carolina
First Name
Ash
Last Name
Menges
Stuck on the eastern Rockies, my friend flipped his bike due to the road being slick. We holed up in a barn for a couple of days, fixed bike, cleaned equipment, cooked and got our heads on right. The rest of the trip was a most memorable experience with 2 of my closest friends. We tented and rode all over Colorado, NM and AZ then back to AL and NC. The reward was....after trashing a bike by flipping it 4+ times. we duct taped it together and pressed on for several more days. My friend Jorge (pictured) is banged up from many years in hard core army units. It was his bike that wrecked, breaking lots of stuff (several thousand in damage we found out later) and he pressed on with us. Frost all over everything a couple days later, 70F to whiteout snow all in the same day, a tornado, etc etc etc....this trip and the campsites had it all! We still have our bikes....and had an awesome time on the trip! We'll do it again some day! "who dares wins"upload_2019-1-23_9-37-3.pngPerfect.
upload_2019-1-23_9-35-0.pngupload_2019-1-23_9-37-8.pngupload_2019-1-23_9-37-43.png

Last edited:

Nickzero

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Nicholas
Last Name
Dugdale
Member #

Reactions: amenges45

gDanCO

Rank V
Launch Member

Contributor III

Thornton, CO, USA
Member #

kmcgraw

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Half Moon Bay
First Name
Kristen
Last Name
McGraw
Member #

Here are photos of from two of our favorite campsites in the lower 48, so far. We are still exploring so they may fall to third or fourth place in the future. That time out we spent three nights at each site. Completely off grid several hours from any services in any direction... At each site we encountered no other human beings, just my wife and I. The temps dropped into the mid teens every night. I miss each of these places and yearn to go back to them, but even more we yearn to find other campsites that offer the same in solitude. View attachment 83138View attachment 83139
Gorgeous! Where are these locations?

TacomaDave

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

I've been going camping with my family since I was "knee high to a jackrabbit" as grandpa used to say. The one trip that really stands out in my memory was when I was around 9 or 10 years old. We were in the Guadalupe Mountains in southern New Mexico on top of a high peak camping pretty primitively. My parents, brothers and I were in sleeping bags around the campfire. Sometime in the night I woke up for some reason and the view that greeted me took my breath away. The sky was clear and it seemed like every star in the heavens was within my reach. I just lay there in awe that anything could be that beautiful. I've seen a lot of starry nights in my life but none have ever equaled that one. I guess I was lucky to be in the right place at the right time.

Reactions: Nickzero