Launch Member

Influencer II

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Nicholas
Last Name
Dugdale
Member #

Whats up OB community! My name is Nickzero OB#12727 out of Central FL, USA and I want to chat about your most rewarding campsite experience you ever had.

Growing up I enjoyed building shelters in the woods, starting camp fires with my dad and getting dirty in nature. I always enjoyed camping with my friends and we would always try and find the best camping spot next to the river. We would hangout all night chatting about our dreams and aspirations over some whiskey and coke sitting around the fire enjoying each others company. I'd love to hear your most unique campsite story and maybe a picture of the view if you choose to add one.

This can be a relaxing campground out in the middle of your national forest or a random spot on the map where you decided to set up the grill, cooler and tents for the night with a captivating view of nature. Feel free to write a short detailed story about your most memorable campsite experience. - Nickzero

Reactions: Ditcherman

tacoclifford

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Stony point, ny
First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Cirrilla
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2RMS
As someone who is just getting into overland and camping really, my experience is pretty basic. I grew up with a family that loved the indoors. They hate the outdoors, never went outside, never went on hikes or enjoyed nature. I was the exact opposite. As soon as I was able to explore on my own, it was on mountain bike. This was until I was old enough to drive. But as a young new driver, I didn’t have the ability to really explore on my own. Jump 10 years in the future. A career, real money, some great sounding destinations, and a capable vehicle, I am now finally able to explore like I wanted to. So now to the actual experience. Northern New Hampshire, 10 Miles from the nh/Canada border, On the edge of a secluded lake. table, chair and camp stove set up, a wild fox at my feet begging me for food. I looked around and I was in my absolute glory. I was finally in the middle of nowhere, fully immersed in. Nature. I actually physically smiled. Ofcourse, this has been my second overland experience. But this expierence tells me that i need the outdoors and adventure in my life.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Nickzero

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Nicholas
Last Name
Dugdale
Member #

As someone who is just getting into overland and camping really, my experience is pretty basic. I grew up with a family that loved the indoors. They hate the outdoors, never went outside, never went on hikes or enjoyed nature. I was the exact opposite. As soon as I was able to explore on my own, it was on mountain bike. This was until I was old enough to drive. But as a young new driver, I didn’t have the ability to really explore on my own. Jump 10 years in the future. A career, real money, some great sounding destinations, and a capable vehicle, I am now finally able to explore like I wanted to. So now to the actual experience. Northern New Hampshire, 10 Miles from the nh/Canada border, On the edge of a secluded lake. table, chair and camp stove set up, a wild fox at my feet begging me for food. I looked around and I was in my absolute glory. I was finally in the middle of nowhere, fully immersed in. Nature. I actually physically smiled. Ofcourse, this has been my second overland experience. But this expierence tells me that i need the outdoors and adventure in my life.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
I can relate to having family that distances themselves from the outdoors. Nature can help with all sorts of mental / physicle healing. Its ultimately whete we (humans) derive from. The universe gave us the opportunity to live amongst the stars to reflect on how fortunate we are to live in such a paradise. --- it seemed like you lived through a special experience. I have had those feels in the past to with being emursed within nature in total solitude. I love it! Thanks for sharing brotha. - Nickzero

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using OB Talk mobile app

Ditcherman

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sheridan, IN, USA
Member #

I have such a desire to do so much more of it, but realize I'm fortunate to have the experiences that I have. It's hard to pick a favorite, they all grow you.
From the time my best friend and I built a cabin in the woods between our 7th and 8th grade years (still there 35 years later), to backpacking with my dad in the Wind River Range and having a snowball fight in August but more importantly conquering the backpacking thing, to last just year getting into this overloading thing with the same best friend and the second night ever in the RTT in the Alpine Loop in SW Colorado when it got down to 20 degrees, had to climb down and pee like three times but there was this coyote constantly giving this alert or warning call down canyon and I was really scared of a bear (tight, wooly canyon with no visibility), to down in the bottom of the Grand Canyon when we had no idea we could score a permit for two nights, (we thought we were just going to do a day hike), to up on top of the Kaibab NF back in the RTT, to hiking up a slot canyon following the bear tracks in the sand (another narrow canyon and restless night).
I can say that I have learned something from all the others too.
I think the best feeling is to be made to feel so small, like you're part of something SO much bigger...that's what makes the memories for me.
Thanks for asking, looking forward to more stories!

Reactions: sabjku and Nickzero

theBROFESSOR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Conway, Arkansas
Member #

a February camping trip with some friends on the Big Piney River was probably our most memorable and rewarding (if you might say that). We left the house and it was nice, about 60 deg and we were very excited about getting out. The camp setup wasn't bad at all, right on the river.

IMG_5566.JPG
But that night we experienced something I had never experienced before - freezing fog. It got down to 28 degrees and condensation formed on the inside of our tents getting everything wet and frozen including us. Our heater would not work and we had not good shelter to retreat to. It showed me a lot about preparing for anything and the value of having the right gear for any kind of trip.
IMG_5524.JPG
The wife told me if she was going back we were going to make some upgrades. I was pretty pumped about that. lol. Neither of us, or anyone there will ever forget that trip.

Nickzero

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Nicholas
Last Name
Dugdale
Member #

a February camping trip with some friends on the Big Piney River was probably our most memorable and rewarding (if you might say that). We left the house and it was nice, about 60 deg and we were very excited about getting out. The camp setup wasn't bad at all, right on the river.

View attachment 63389
But that night we experienced something I had never experienced before - freezing fog. It got down to 28 degrees and condensation formed on the inside of our tents getting everything wet and frozen including us. Our heater would not work and we had not good shelter to retreat to. It showed me a lot about preparing for anything and the value of having the right gear for any kind of trip.
View attachment 63388
The wife told me if she was going back we were going to make some upgrades. I was pretty pumped about that. lol. Neither of us, or anyone there will ever forget that trip.
Man that's nuts! Definitely need to over prepare for camping trips if you find yourself out in the killer elements like freezing temps. I bet it caught you off guard though. Sounds like your well prepared for the next journey out in those temps. Good stuff!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using OB Talk mobile app

JimInBC

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Southern Vancouver Island
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Freer
Member #

There is a ledge on Lake Superior in Pictured Rocks National Lake Shore. The night had been a rough storm running in from the west had built intensity coming across the lake. Wind Rain a little thunder a little lightening. But the long hike had made me really tired so I slept through all but the worst part. But the worst part was pretty intense.

The next morning dawned with some clouds, but dry. I unzipped the tent and looked around, everything was ok. I walked down to the shore , found a drying spot on a comfortable rock and prepped some tea to watch the sun come up. Best tea and oatmeal ever.

Overland A Far

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Rocky Mountain House, Alberta
Member #

Several years ago the wife and I made the Dawson City/Klondike trip in the Yukon. We camped in a small campground beside the Yukon River called Minto with one other couple and a single man there as well. The site had an air strip adjacent to it but you could tell it was not regularly used. In the late afternoon the single man from Washington DC was washing up when a medium helicopter came in, circled camp and promptly set down raising all kinds of dust - poor guy trying to clean up! I went over to talk to the passenger who turned out to be a fire fighting crew boss working a fire down river - the chopper was running on fumes and looking for a fuel cache. Turns out the fire crew was from my home (I was a Forest Tech and worked closely with the Forest Service on fires and timber harvesting). The pilot hopped in with me and we searched the air strip eventually finding the fuel cache then I got a lift to there to help fuel up. Later that evening while fishing I watched a boat run up and down the far shore of the river then make it's way to the campground. An elderly couple arrived and the lady went to the outhouses while I talked to the gentleman. They were trappers living full time on the river and searching for berry patches. Turns out we had common acquaintances and spent the next several hours telling stories of hunting, fishing, trapping and rodeo. As the sun never really set it was after 3 a.m. before we parted company. And it turned out the other single camper from Washington DC was the Presidential Band Conductor! Who had some great stories and was en route to Eagle Alaska.

armourbl

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Phoenix, AZ
Member #

My most memorable is from when I was a kid. Boy Scout hiking trip to Silver Lake in Utah, just above the Silver Lake Flat Reservoir. Had to backpack in all of our gear. Probably one of the most beautiful places I've ever spent the night in a tent. Glacier fed lake. Star filled sky at night. Still, clear water. Really want to return here as an adult now someday.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Silver+Lake+Glance+Trail/@40.5201788,-111.6741581,1495m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m13!1m7!3m6!1s0x875277849bfb8e93:0x5b92ff40b42945c6!2sSilver+Lake+Flat+Reservoir!3b1!8m2!3d40.5020927!4d-111.6563841!3m4!1s0x875279c1122039ab:0x5b1fc41703dbae9d!8m2!3d40.5221918!4d-111.6708273

ben

Nickzero

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Nicholas
Last Name
Dugdale
Member #

My most memorable is from when I was a kid. Boy Scout hiking trip to Silver Lake in Utah, just above the Silver Lake Flat Reservoir. Had to backpack in all of our gear. Probably one of the most beautiful places I've ever spent the night in a tent. Glacier fed lake. Star filled sky at night. Still, clear water. Really want to return here as an adult now someday.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Silver+Lake+Glance+Trail/@40.5201788,-111.6741581,1495m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m13!1m7!3m6!1s0x875277849bfb8e93:0x5b92ff40b42945c6!2sSilver+Lake+Flat+Reservoir!3b1!8m2!3d40.5020927!4d-111.6563841!3m4!1s0x875279c1122039ab:0x5b1fc41703dbae9d!8m2!3d40.5221918!4d-111.6708273

ben
Sounds like an epic adventure into nature.

systemdelete

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Nashville, TN
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Rumbaugh
Member #

Just before I got my Eagle Scout our troop was fortunate enough to land a spot for entry into Quetico via BWCAW, after several days paddling and portaging we were well into some of the most pristine wilds I've ever laid eyes on. EVERY nights campsite was like something out of dream. The stark difference from this well preserved piece of nature to our national parks I'd visited in the US, taught me what the outdoors could be if we fought hard to take them back, clean them up, and preserve them for future generations.

Tayzoid1

Rank I

Contributor II

Jacksonville, AL, USA
First Name
taylor
Last Name
haynes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4OOT
IMG_1822.JPGIMG_1660.JPGIMG_1659.JPGIMG_1763.JPGIMG_1653.JPG

This was in the Lockhart basin. Right on the Colorado river. We went 4500 miles in a truck that was pulled from a scrap yard 3 years ago, after a flood took it out. I couldn’t be prouder of my scrapyard cruiser. This takes the cake for my most epic camp spot. I’m dreaming of going back.

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

Hiking part of the PCT and camping at a spot called paradise park , there is something magical about using your own two feet to get somewhere and being rewarded with a breathtaking veiw of the sunrise shining on the mountain with a hot cup of coffee in your hand . Actually Camp every night on that trip was spectacular.
IMG_20160127_053618.jpg IMG_5754.PNG

Nickzero

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Nicholas
Last Name
Dugdale
Member #

View attachment 72767View attachment 72768View attachment 72769View attachment 72770View attachment 72771

This was in the Lockhart basin. Right on the Colorado river. We went 4500 miles in a truck that was pulled from a scrap yard 3 years ago, after a flood took it out. I couldn’t be prouder of my scrapyard cruiser. This takes the cake for my most epic camp spot. I’m dreaming of going back.
Awh man this looks epic! I am actually moving to CO in March this year and would like to find out where spots like these ones are. That is some talented photo work!