Advocate II

Wagoner County, Oklahoma
First Name
Buddy
Last Name
NLN
Service Branch
Resigned EMT-B
Ha... $6000 is the upstairs bathroom. It may not be pretty, but it would be functional with a standing shower, toilet, sink and vanity. We could "finish" it later , but going from a 3/1/1 to a 3/2/1 in my neighborhood would almost double my equity!

Chris Owens

Rank II

Advocate II

Vermont
Member #

I would have a new suspension put on the van. I know 6K would not cover it, but I would send it to Ujoint and call it a down payment. lol.

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

What do you plan to do with the vehicle? Is this more of a camping rig or a wheelin' rig? Those uses can overlap a little, but not nearly as much as a lot of folks like to think.

Michael Kinnett

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Muncie, IN
Member #

I have a 2013 DCLB Limited Taco and I went with armor (Pelfreybilt front and rear bumpers, rock sliders, and full skids), lift, tires, and recovery gear in combination to achieve what I wanted on trail. I already owned enough camp gear to do the rest, so those weren't on my initial list of needs. After that it was taking the existing gear I had and improving upon it, ie dedicated stove, a RTT to replace ground tents (what I wanted to do overall, not a necessity), some better storage options, and am in the progress of improving all of that as I learn more about my needs. Future are improving on the RTT I have and very much dislike (design wise, going to a hard shell), getting a lockable and more secure bed cap, an auxiliary battery system to run my fridge more reliably, and then better water options.

You can start with water jugs you can buy at Wal Mart, camp enough and they might not be what you really want, so you make changes. I see nearly every piece of gear to be that way as you won't truly know how well it works for you until you've had to use it. Oh and two other changes that happened quickly, an awning because rain and no relief from the sun can both suck, then came seating, my camp chairs were terrible!! It all just starts to come together and really it's mostly about convenience, so if you don't want the extra, don't buy it. If you're like me and fine doing ultralight backpacking with the absolute minimum but use overlanding as your glamping, go for it. Wants vs. Needs.

chuckoverland

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Spokane, WA
Member #

What do you plan to do with the vehicle? Is this more of a camping rig or a wheelin' rig? Those uses can overlap a little, but not nearly as much as a lot of folks like to think.
This is our first year in a new location so alot of this season will be exploring and camping, rtt racks awning and storage solutions this year, next year armor and tires.
Thats the plan so far.

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

This is our first year in a new location so alot of this season will be exploring and camping, rtt racks awning and storage solutions this year, next year armor and tires.
Thats the plan so far.
Gotcha.
Honestly, if you arent doing armor or tires now, less than $1000 will get you a pretty solid suspension system (plus probably less than 500 for the install?). That leaves you perhaps $3500 or so, and I can't really think of many other big purchases. Sure, you could probably invest in some decent camping gear, like a cooler, but you could easily come up with a very livable camping system for $500 if you wanted.

What are you going to mount the RTT on? Camper shell or bed rack? I think I'd almost certainly get a shell if I had gone the Taco route over the 4Runner route.

chuckoverland

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Spokane, WA
Member #

We used bed racks so the truck will fit in the garage. Therefore no lift till we move somewhere with a taller garage. Our last rtt was stolen when the 90 was stolen. I know a new taco would be hard AF to steal, but we arent risking anything
We have a yeti cooler so thats covered.