Launch Member

Advocate III

Vacaville, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Mulrooney
Member #

Need some help! Me and the wife are planning a camping trip to a RV resort called Yosemite lakes RV park. (We own a travel trailer) we haven't been to Yosemite in about 4 years and that was just a day trip. The plan is to spend a couple days in actual Yosemite doing hikes and waterfalls and fly fishing. But we also plan on doing mammoth lakes area such as bodie ghost town, travertine hot springs, and mammoth lakes. If there is any information you have or experiences I would love to hear them! Thanks guys!

P.s. And any offroad trails out there

Wooks

Rank V
Investor

Enthusiast III

Member #

I just returned from an overnight trip to Yosemite Lakes with my daughter. The resort itself is currently being renovated so there are construction materials everywhere but it was still a comfortable place to camp. One thing we've always liked about Yosemite Lakes and other Thousand Trails campgrounds is the ranger staff is very helpful and diligent. They enforce quiet hours and keep the facilities relatively clean (both very important when camping with a 4-yr old).

A couple tips (which you probably already know) about Yosemite.
  1. Use the shuttle system. It is by far the best way to get around the inner-valley.
  2. Take your time. Don't treat it like Disneyland where you try to plan 3-4 rides in advance to get the "most" out of your day. Do one thing at a time, when you're done doing that thing to the extent you wish to do it, then decide on the next thing.
  3. The Four Mile Trail is the reason cars were invented. No person should subject themselves to the torture that is this hike. Up or down, it is a special hell. Just go around.

As far as the area surrounding it here is what I can tell you:
  1. The Hetch-Hetchy Reservoir area is often overlooked but it is a great hiking area, if you have extra time or get tired of the crowds in Yosemite then check this place out.
  2. If you're looking for a pub scene check out the Iron Door Saloon in Groveland. Very historic site and usually has a good atmosphere.
  3. Tioga Pass to 395 is slow going but it is a beautiful drive. It is currently closes but should open sometime in May. Bring extra water just in case.
And for that other thing, what was it? Oh yeah... off-road!

My favorite way to explore the Sierras is by Forest Service Road. These roads are usually fairly tame but can offer the occasional challenge. Some fun areas to explore around Yosemite:
  1. 1S03 / Sawmill Mountain Road (Groveland) - From the "Check-In" @ Yosemite Lakes RV Resort take Hardin Flat Road West out of the campground. When you reach Highway 120 turn left, then make an almost immediate right onto Sawmill Mountain Road. You'll pass by a handful of private residences and then go through a forest gate. The road should be marked 1S03. The area is burned out but it is still beautiful. You can do a lot of exploring from here. Sidenote: this road is actually part of a longer trip I am planning this summer to go from Yosemite to Lake Tahoe via (mostly) forest service roads.
  2. White Chief Mountain Road (Fish Camp) - Take 41 South out of Yosemite. Shortly after you enter the town of Fish Camp you'll make a left onto Wht Chief Mountain Rd (if you see the post office on your right, you've missed the turn). You'll drive past a few homes and a lodge. After that the road becomes Star Lake Road / 5S43 and the pavement soon ends. Time to explore. I've never done it but you might be able to get all the way to Mammoth Lakes from here. Not sure.

Hope that helps and have a great trip!

Justin_0237

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate III

Vacaville, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Mulrooney
Member #

Thanks a lot @Wooks yes we like the thousand trails parks except the full timers make them kinda looked run down. I heard the best part of the park is along the river? We will be going end of May, early June.
Imma take all this information and write it down trying to get as much info as I can

Wooks

Rank V
Investor

Enthusiast III

Member #

The river is nice. It is full enough this year that we were able to hear it rushing at night (I love the sound of running water while camping). We stayed in the Ponderosa Tent Sites. I've never stayed in a Trailer or RV here so I can't really comment on those site but from what I've seen I would avoid sites 222 - 249. Those are basically parking lot camping.

You can get a map of the campground here: http://www.rvonthego.com/media/com_rv/uploads/resorts/sm0216-yosemitelakes_1454706365.pdf?webSyncID=49bead35-1603-6a90-3d41-dc6bc40c3a70&sessionGUID=eb187191-b2bc-eb3e-01a3-b9630614682e

maktruk

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Member #

Stop at the Ranger station just before Bridgeport on 395 and get some updated forest service maps. Ask about trails around the area and they will help and advise you as best they can (which is very well!)

Some of our favorites:

Mono Lake tufa formations: These are just super cool. The whole lake is. Once you get your fill of the formations you can follow FS trails around the entire lake. Behind the lake you can jump on the old Bodie railroad trail and follow one of the back roads into Bodie, or head about halfway up Conway Summit and jump off into the FS trails that lead into the old (old!) mining camp known as Monoville. Pretty technical trails here, so a well equipped rig is advised.

Other trails are the FS snowmobiling trails between Mammoth Lakes and June Lake Loop, the Obsidian Dome area, and behind Travertine hot springs you can get to the old Bodie/Masonic road which is another back road into Bodie...

Sooooo much to explore. We've spent a week+ there every year for four years and we're not done yet. We want to retire to the Eastern Sierras :-)

Last edited:
Reactions: Crispy

Gregaf3

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sin City
Member #

Laurel Lake near Mammoth is a good trip if you can park the trailer somewhere.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Mike G

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

San Jose, CA
Member #

Right off HWY 120 before HWY 395 is a couple of camp sites. I've camped at one, Big Bend Campground about 20 years ago and I thought it was great. It's a primitive Campground with no ranger's and it's self registration/pay. The other one is Aspen Campground, never been there, but I hear it's a nice Campground. Both sites are near a river so you don't have to worry about water. If your going to Mammoth, you should check out Devil's Postpile

Sent from my MotoG3 using Overland Bound Talk mobile app

Tom (Steel Industries)

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Vacaville, CA 95687, USA
Member #

I just returned from an overnight trip to Yosemite Lakes with my daughter. The resort itself is currently being renovated so there are construction materials everywhere but it was still a comfortable place to camp. One thing we've always liked about Yosemite Lakes and other Thousand Trails campgrounds is the ranger staff is very helpful and diligent. They enforce quiet hours and keep the facilities relatively clean (both very important when camping with a 4-yr old).

A couple tips (which you probably already know) about Yosemite.
  1. Use the shuttle system. It is by far the best way to get around the inner-valley.
  2. Take your time. Don't treat it like Disneyland where you try to plan 3-4 rides in advance to get the "most" out of your day. Do one thing at a time, when you're done doing that thing to the extent you wish to do it, then decide on the next thing.
  3. The Four Mile Trail is the reason cars were invented. No person should subject themselves to the torture that is this hike. Up or down, it is a special hell. Just go around.

As far as the area surrounding it here is what I can tell you:
  1. The Hetch-Hetchy Reservoir area is often overlooked but it is a great hiking area, if you have extra time or get tired of the crowds in Yosemite then check this place out.
  2. If you're looking for a pub scene check out the Iron Door Saloon in Groveland. Very historic site and usually has a good atmosphere.
  3. Tioga Pass to 395 is slow going but it is a beautiful drive. It is currently closes but should open sometime in May. Bring extra water just in case.
And for that other thing, what was it? Oh yeah... off-road!

My favorite way to explore the Sierras is by Forest Service Road. These roads are usually fairly tame but can offer the occasional challenge. Some fun areas to explore around Yosemite:
  1. 1S03 / Sawmill Mountain Road (Groveland) - From the "Check-In" @ Yosemite Lakes RV Resort take Hardin Flat Road West out of the campground. When you reach Highway 120 turn left, then make an almost immediate right onto Sawmill Mountain Road. You'll pass by a handful of private residences and then go through a forest gate. The road should be marked 1S03. The area is burned out but it is still beautiful. You can do a lot of exploring from here. Sidenote: this road is actually part of a longer trip I am planning this summer to go from Yosemite to Lake Tahoe via (mostly) forest service roads.
  2. White Chief Mountain Road (Fish Camp) - Take 41 South out of Yosemite. Shortly after you enter the town of Fish Camp you'll make a left onto Wht Chief Mountain Rd (if you see the post office on your right, you've missed the turn). You'll drive past a few homes and a lodge. After that the road becomes Star Lake Road / 5S43 and the pavement soon ends. Time to explore. I've never done it but you might be able to get all the way to Mammoth Lakes from here. Not sure.

Hope that helps and have a great trip!
Great info! Thanks!

Reactions: Justin_0237