Contributor I

Los Angeles
First Name
Andy
Last Name
Francis
Member #

Hey all!

I am planning a trip to Yosemite for the end of the month. I have never been there and would really appreciate some advice on Dispersed camping sites, routes, fun trails, and things to see.

The dispersed camping is my main concern though!

Thanks so much!

v_man

Rank IV

Advocate I

Redwood City
If you're referring to Yosemite National Park proper, there is no dispersed camping at all, you need to camp overnight in a designated campground.

There is National Forest land surrounding the National Park though with numerous camping options.

My only other advice is that if you plan to go into the Valley itself, traffic can be heinous, I would avoid being on a paved road in the Valley between 8am and 8pm...

Reactions: AndyInLA

AndyInLA

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Los Angeles
First Name
Andy
Last Name
Francis
Member #

Awesome! Thanks so much for the advice! :)

Are there any spots or trails you would recommend that I checkout in the surrounding areas?

BigRy510

Rank 0

Traveler I

in Yosemite national park, i'd say check out the mist trail. it is a hike from the valley floor to the top of Vernal Falls and then atop Nevada Falls, and if continued you can get to Half Dome but you would need a permit to climb Half Dome now. the mist trail can be quite crowded on a weekend so start early.

AndyInLA

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Los Angeles
First Name
Andy
Last Name
Francis
Member #

Awesome, Thanks!

Does anyone have any tips on remote camping outside of the park? Any favorite spots?

203WEST

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Laguna Niguel, CA
Member #

We got Half Dome permits for July 11th, but we didn't get wilderness permits. SO, we have no camp spots before our hike. Would love any dispersed info just west of the park (El Portal or Wawona area) to camp before an early morning drive to the trailhead.

Nicholas Holley

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Phelan California
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Holley
Member #

I'm planning on a trip up that way at the end of July. Never camped in bear country any pointers? Im going to be running my fridge in the back of the 4runner but I really don't want to wake up to a bear trying to get in my truck. We are planning on dispersed camping in the Inyo National Forest so there won't be any bear boxes to use. Please help!!!

v_man

Rank IV

Advocate I

Redwood City
I would not keep the fridge, or any food items/scented items in your car while you are in YNP, you can receive a stiff fine if you are found having food items in your car.

If camping outside the park with food in your car, go for it. Bears are skiddish and easily ran off. I was doing exactly this, sleeping in my car with my food in the car with me, a bear approached and started shaking my car, I screamed loudly from inside the car and he/she ran off.

• Wow
Reactions: RoarinRow

CTO1Mike

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler II

Yuba City, CA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Lester
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC5DWF
Service Branch
Navy
This begs the question of how do you keep any frozen or chilled food, chilled and frozen while in the park if you are not running with a standard ice chest? Do you un-mount your fridge and take a portable battery? :/ :unamused:

Superslidestyle

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Rialto, California, United States
First Name
IRWIN
Last Name
JIMENEZ
Member #

One thing to consider is that camping in or near Yosemite is very regulated because of the abundance of wildlife, not just bears. A regular, basic campsite starts at $10 (up to $160+ for cabins). It takes MINIMUM six (6) months in advance to reserve a campsite. Yes, it's that popular. The other option is to go for the "Walk-in" campsites, of which there are quite a few at every campsite there, but first-come, first-serve.