First Name
Tim
Last Name
Markham
Member #

Service Branch
US Navy (veteran)
Hello All,
I am quite aware this is not proper planning. I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. I am having to try to plan a last minute trip to Yellowstone NP. Was going to go next summer (2023), but got to make it happen this year. I've spent the morning looking at the site, and trying to make reservations... no dice.
Does anyone know of a good camp spot, outside but near the park? I'm only looking to stay for 3... maybe 4... nights. It'll be me and my 3 youngins (17, 15, 7). Any advice would be appreciated.

TCorona

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Visalia, CA, USA
First Name
Thomas
Last Name
Corona
Member #

What is your setup... there are mucho dispersed camping areas around Yellowstone and the Tetons NP, in the NF areas, try apps like IOverlander, Campendium, OnXOff Road, etc.

T_Polo

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Applewood, Lakewood, CO, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Markham
Member #

Service Branch
US Navy (veteran)
I'm utilizing Gaia to find something dispersed. If my daughter is able to come along, it'll be her first camping trip... would prefer an actual campground. If she isn't able to come, my sons are very experienced with dispersed camping. My setup is a Dodge Ram on 35's, with a cap and sleeping platform, as well as my T4 Gazelle tent.

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Hello All,
I am quite aware this is not proper planning. I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. I am having to try to plan a last minute trip to Yellowstone NP. Was going to go next summer (2023), but got to make it happen this year. I've spent the morning looking at the site, and trying to make reservations... no dice.
Does anyone know of a good camp spot, outside but near the park? I'm only looking to stay for 3... maybe 4... nights. It'll be me and my 3 youngins (17, 15, 7). Any advice would be appreciated.
Ah! We were in Acadia last week, ahead of the rush of the start of the season. We also have no plans this weekend and of course it is proving to be near impossible to find anything.

Sorry I cant help. Just commiserating

Reactions: T_Polo

T_Polo

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Tim
Last Name
Markham
Member #

Service Branch
US Navy (veteran)
Ah! We were in Acadia last week, ahead of the rush of the start of the season. We also have no plans this weekend and of course it is proving to be near impossible to find anything.

Sorry I cant help. Just commiserating
The original plan was to go next summer. However, my oldest jumped ahead and enlisted under the Delayed Entry Program, and will be shipping out next May. Gotta make the trip happen, this year. Lol

Reactions: ThundahBeagle

TCorona

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Visalia, CA, USA
First Name
Thomas
Last Name
Corona
Member #

There are campgrounds outside the parks, Forest Service campgrounds will be your best bet off the beatin path, popular campgrounds will be booked solid...
Sounds like your rig can deal with FS roads, the other apps I mentioned will show actual places to camp

T_Polo

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Tim
Last Name
Markham
Member #

Service Branch
US Navy (veteran)
There are campgrounds outside the parks, Forest Service campgrounds will be your best bet off the beatin path, popular campgrounds will be booked solid...
Sounds like your rig can deal with FS roads, the other apps I mentioned will show actual places to camp

ZombieCat

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Maryland
First Name
Adventure
Last Name
Awaits!
Member #

I’d also recommend you keep trying to book inside the park by contacting the booking company (Xanterra - Yellowstone National Park Lodges) right up until your arrival. CALL, don’t trust the online booking system. I was able to change my dates last summer on very short notice, even though their website showed no vacancies. Being a tent camper gives you more flexibility than RV’ers.

Reactions: Kozysnack

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
Ashton-Flag ranch road runs between Ashton, Idaho and the Rockefeller highway that runs between Yellowstone and Grand Tetons parks. There are quite a few dispersed campgrounds along that gravel road that are very nice, last couple of times we have been up there there was very low traffic and few people even though the parks were stuffed. and its well situated between both parks.