Wrenching on their own rigs?

• HTML tutorial

Enthusiast II

Hartford, SD
As an ASE Certified Master technician for 15 years there isn't much I don't fix myself. Still have to take them in for alignments. a tape measure just isn't close enough. Although the last one I did came out perfect. A few years back I got a good offer to work in a local parts store so I took it. It surprised me how many of the shops seem to lack an interest in truly diagnosing the complete problem. But I was fortunate and worked at a shop that spent plenty of money and time on tools and training. 90% of our customers would just drop the car off and say call me when it's done. So I was able to spend the time needed to properly diagnose and repair the car. If you want it fixed right and done well you can't be looking for the shop that will do it the cheapest. Cheep shops can't afford to have the equipment or techs it takes to consistently fix cars. I usually spend 4 to 5 weeks a year in training classes to stay up to date and learn new ways to solve problems. I also own over $70,000 in tools. Quality costs money and time. An affordable scan tool starts at $2500 and a cheep lab scope can get a lot done. When I was at the dealer you could only spend the amount of time the customer was willing to pay for to diagnose the car. Sometimes finding the correct solution takes longer than the customer is willing to pay for.

I enjoy fixing, maintaining, building, and modifying my vehicles.

Rorschach

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Huntington Beach, CA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Niederhauser
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ULA
HOLY F*** BALLS... Wiring diagrams is what my nightmares are made of!
I will preface this with; I used to teach auto electrical, electronics and it is part of what I do now.

Get a digital multimeter. Learn how to check for available voltage, voltage drops, and shorts. Learn some basics about wiring diagrams. The test ate actually easy to do and when you understand why you are doing them will open up a lot of diagnostics to you. Wiring can get confusing but there are some things you an do to make This easier as well. Learning this will give you a leg up on many of today's technicians/mechanics.

Rorschach

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Huntington Beach, CA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Niederhauser
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ULA
As an ASE Certified Master technician for 15 years there isn't much I don't fix myself. Still have to take them in for alignments. a tape measure just isn't close enough. Although the last one I did came out perfect. A few years back I got a good offer to work in a local parts store so I took it. It surprised me how many of the shops seem to lack an interest in truly diagnosing the complete problem. But I was fortunate and worked at a shop that spent plenty of money and time on tools and training. 90% of our customers would just drop the car off and say call me when it's done. So I was able to spend the time needed to properly diagnose and repair the car. If you want it fixed right and done well you can't be looking for the shop that will do it the cheapest. Cheep shops can't afford to have the equipment or techs it takes to consistently fix cars. I usually spend 4 to 5 weeks a year in training classes to stay up to date and learn new ways to solve problems. I also own over $70,000 in tools. Quality costs money and time. An affordable scan tool starts at $2500 and a cheep lab scope can get a lot done. When I was at the dealer you could only spend the amount of time the customer was willing to pay for to diagnose the car. Sometimes finding the correct solution takes longer than the customer is willing to pay for.

I enjoy fixing, maintaining, building, and modifying my vehicles.
This is so true. I was going to write a response to a couple earlier threads but this says most of it, and much nicer than I was going to. Well done.

Stomper4x4

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Redding, California
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Carlson
Member #

I've hired a mechanic maybe 2 or 3 times in the last 20 years I would guess. I do all of my own repairs and maintenance.

58-fc170

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

I do my own. I built it and no way I am trusting someone else to keep it running right.
Plus with rockauto.com for parts and a heated barn why waste the money/time/frustration on "mechanics".

Cummins_Powered

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Do about everything on my own, unless time or circumstances dictate otherwise. Last things i paid for was a transfer case rebuild on my Dodge 2500 which i was not anywhere near home to be able to fix. Paid for a few clutches back in the day before i had the tools. Next thing i will likely pay for and not do myself, regearing the jeep.

Overland California

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

San Jose, California
Member #

Do all my own, servicing, mods and ground up rebuilds. I'm the only person I trust to do what's needed and get it right.
I'm the same way except I didn't install my axle gears and lockers. I let the top-notch shop down the street handle that.

By doing my own work, I'm familiar with my truck, trust that I can handle trail repairs, and also know that things were put together mostly correctly.

Last edited:

Old Griz

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

North Idaho
First Name
Bill
Last Name
Clisham
Member #

Spent sometime last week in Broken Bow, OK, exploring the Ouachita National Forest. Not on any camping / overlanding adventure/ just a vacation with the family. Seeing the 4x4s made me yearn for some wheeling.

Which got me thinking about maintenance and repairs, who does their own? Do you just take it to a shop?
Nobody but me turns wrenches on my vehicles. I feel much more ar ease knowing each and every bolt and screw on my rig.

Megadoomer

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

N32°55'31.94",W117°05'20.21"
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Rossi
Member #

I kind of have to do my own repairs. It's a '70 FJ55 with '70s chevy 350 with FAST EFI, '80s 700r4, '94 astrovan power steering, '02 3500 hydroboost, '99 camaro fuel pump, '00s dodge rear disc, man-a-fre front disc, painless wiring and bunch of custom fab'd parts all over. If I need help my father-in-law was a mechanic and hot rod builder.

Sent from my SM-G935V using OB Talk mobile app

jim lee

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Anacortes, WA
Member #

Did a lot of mechanics as a kid building hot rods n stuff. As a "grown up" I took everything to local mechanics. I was done spinning wrenches.

Then I bought the Carryall..

The Carryall is over 75 years old and anyone who knew how to work on them, if they are still alive, they'll certainly be retired by now. I have to do 99% of the work myself. Finding parts is an exercise in networking and creativity. Luckily for me the purchase included a US ARMY TM9-808 manual (declassified in 1946) So there is some documentation for doing repairs and maintenance. Going online and swapping info with the rest of the guys that own stuff like this is key to survival.

But its fun. And I'm hoping it'll make a fun overland vehicle.

-jim lee

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
Did a lot of mechanics as a kid building hot rods n stuff. As a "grown up" I took everything to local mechanics. I was done spinning wrenches.

Then I bought the Carryall..

The Carryall is over 75 years old and anyone who knew how to work on them, if they are still alive, they'll certainly be retired by now. I have to do 99% of the work myself. Finding parts is an exercise in networking and creativity. Luckily for me the purchase included a US ARMY TM9-808 manual (declassified in 1946) So there is some documentation for doing repairs and maintenance. Going online and swapping info with the rest of the guys that own stuff like this is key to survival.

But its fun. And I'm hoping it'll make a fun overland vehicle.

-jim lee
That has the potential to be the ultimate classic overlanding rig.

I would love to build one of those with a Cummins 12V under the hood.

Old Griz

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

North Idaho
First Name
Bill
Last Name
Clisham
Member #

[QUOTE="jim
That's an awesome rig! You should check out vintage military vehicle restorers. I'm not sure exactly how to reach them but I know one of their members is John Cowell in Texas. Just Google "vintage military vehicles Texas "
You can find lots of good info there and if anyone needs a restorable vehicle, this is the place for m38 jeeps to 5 ton trucks.

jim lee

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Anacortes, WA
Member #

Putting Diesels in them is very popular. The problem is, as soon as you start modifying them, it tends to turn into a rabbit hole. The first thing people try is gearing them up because, as they were built, they pretty much top out at 45mph. Suddenly you have a truck that runs 55 or 60. Nice! But oh ohh.. Now the brakes are marginal at best. Scary! So then change to power disk brakes but wait.. At 60 its a double handfull to keep on the road.. Power steering?

At some point its flux capacitors.. Where does it end?

One of my imaginary (internet) friends is so far down the rabbit hole I think he's going to come out the other side. Do a search on Alex WC53 and you can see his rig. Its not compete as yet, but its a work of art. Almost steam punk.

I decided I just better get used to 45mph.

P.S. Thanks for the likes and replies! Still learning this new forum.

-jim lee

Last edited:
Reactions: Old Griz

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
One of my imaginary (internet) friends is so far down the rabbit hole I think he's going to come out the other side. Do a search on Alex WC53 and you can see his rig. Its not compete as yet, but its a work of art. Almost steam punk.
Found it: https://powerwagonadvertiser.com/forums/forum/military-civilian-dodge-truck-related-forums/diesel-powered-trucks-engines-conversions/16211-alex-s-42-wc53-carryall-build-details-cummins-isb170

I wanted to go that route with an IH Scout, but I realized that if I did so my children would be grown and gone before we ever got to take it camping. So I did the sensible thing and bought a Jeep Cherokee. This way the kids get to experience it while I gradually build it. I still dream of building some cool, vintage rig. I still love to look at the builds. But for this season of life I need something that works now.

Reactions: jim lee and Arailt

jim lee

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Anacortes, WA
Member #

I wanted to go that route with an IH Scout, but I realized that if I did so my children would be grown and gone before we ever got to take it camping.
Exactly! Been there wore out the T-Shirt. This project started out to be a ground up rebuild. Then things changed and I realized I'd rather play with it than have it in kit form in my garage for years and years. So I've been focusing on getting it drivable.

If you'd like the full story, here's the Carryall Blog

Maybe I should post that on the "Builds forum"?

-jim lee

LuxuryOverland

Rank VI

Off-Road Ranger III

Sparks, NV, USA
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Steele
Member #

Do it all myself. I follow my manuals meticulously so I don't mess anything up, but its all done at home in the garage! Being a Range Rover owner, if I take it to a shop, basic things cost me 2x as much. Thus, I learned to wrench! And I find it fun and kind of meditating to be honest. Even the knuckle buster moments...

Ripley1046

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Manitowoc, WI
First Name
Cory
Last Name
Ripley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD9VKY
Did some fluid checks and top off yesterday, as well as cleaning the Outback in and out. Put the missing sway bar link on my Silverado, and swapped the other one for good measure. Pulled a plastic jug and about 10 pounds of dirt out of the skid plate on the truck. I need to get that thing on a lift and really clean it up.

@jim lee That is a beautiful rig! They just don't seem to put as much emphasis on design anymore, and that is why I will always prefer the aesthetics of classic vehicles.

Reactions: jim lee