Wrenching on their own rigs?

• HTML tutorial

Dan & Jen Nevada

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

On the Road...
Member #

So far I've done everything myself. The lift was the hardest by far but got it done. That may change since we'll be full timing in a motorhome next year. I still haven't decided how many tools I'm going to take along. I'll probably continue to maintenance on both the Jeep and the MH.

Darrell Dunn

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Crowley, Texas
Member #

All me...find I understand my vehicle better. But then again, the vehicle is becoming less and less stock as the weeks go by so warranty work is becoming non-existent two years and 28K miles later.

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
Today, I just wrenched in new tie rods, cv axles, changed the transmission fluid, finished installing my transmission cooler with remote spin-on filter and temperature gauge, fuel filter, rotors and lower ball joints on my 4Runner at the base hobby/auto repair shop and it only cost me $40 to use the lift for 8.5hrs.

boehml

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

British Columbia
First Name
Liam
Last Name
-
Member #

I will not let any shop touch my rig, except for highly technical things, such as gear ratio change. I've only ever had terrible experiences with shops. Plus, when you do it yourself you become familiar with your rig and you can fix more in the bush.

Reactions: Mike W

Craig M

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Haslet, Texas, USA
First Name
Craig
Last Name
M
Member #

I do the vast majority of the work on our vehicles. I'm not a mechanic but have been tinkering with cars since before I could drive and have amassed a good anmount of tools and experience along the way. I started out mostly out of necessity and not being able to afford to pay someone eles to do work (started a family young as a junior enlistedman in the Army, so money was very tight). That gave me a good foundation and once I got into performance stuff about 15 years ago, it just made more sense to do it myslef as that was a big part of the fun.

I am fortunate that I have a good network of friends, several of which are professional mechanics, and /or have been in the auto racing hobby for decades. I have done normal maintenance, repairs to fuel systems, full tune-ups, lift kits, lighting, chased down vacuum leaks, and even a complete engine swap on my sons old 2002 Mustang GT over a weekend!

I am still a little green once you crack open the internals, but as I said, I always have friends available to help.

Reactions: Eric Neal

BensonSTW

Rank III

Enthusiast III

I'm a mechanic. There isn't much I can't do to my own vehicle. My problem is not having enough time to devote to my projects. I've posted pictures of my jeep project. I have just about everything I'll need to do a 12 valve swap in my 79 bronco. And I also have a 71 bronco that I'm trying to get rid of a ton of cancer in so I can start the resto-mod I have plans for.

RockyMountaineer

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Laramie, WY, USA
First Name
Mathew
Last Name
Threadgill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N5MST
The unfortunately side of having a lifetime drivetrain warranty on my new truck is that it has to be serviced by an ASE certified mechanic. But my two older ones I do the work I can on.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Convoy.Of.One

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Arcadia, CA
Member #

I prefer to work on my rig myself, if all else fails then I take it to the shop.

Good learning experience + saves a couple bucks for future mods.

Veggie Man

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Fort Worth
First Name
John
Last Name
Armstrong
Member #

I do all of my own work. I also try to make my own stuff if it's cost effective. If it's cheaper to buy a part, I'll buy it. The only exception to this are the 10 free oil changes on my rig. After that I'll do my own.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
I've purchased most of my vehicles slightly used and by far most of the repairs/failures I've had to solve have been caused by previous owners mechanic/dealer. ...

-Eric
That is my experience as well. I have gotten to the point I won't even let a tire shop touch my vehicles. I just take them the wheels.

There is not much I can't/won't do. AC systems and automatic transmissions are about the only things I don't want to tear into. I set up the gears in my Dana 30 a couple years ago, but I did hand the Chrysler 8.25 off to a shop (lacking the tools to deal with the side-loading nuts).

I have no qualms about making my own parts. This weekend I am building a new battery tray that will allow me to mount my winch relays under the battery. Probably the most ridiculous example was when I needed a new window roller and found that the part could only be obtained as part of an entire regulator assembly. I couldn't see spending $100 to replace what was probably a $1 part, so I bought a piece of Delrin, ground a couple of cutters and made my own window roller. I have no doubt that the time involved exceeded the value of the complete assembly, but dadgummit I wasn't going to throw out a mostly all good assembly over one little wheel. And yes, I am still running that assembly and homemade wheel, and it has been going for something close to ten years now.

Rogue Beardsman

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Rotonda West, Florida
Member #

I do some of my own. I do more and more as I learn about things. My biggest issue is i don't have a garage. Or a driveway. Just rocky dirt hills. The other issue is I live in a national park and park service doesn't want you doing anything with fluids and such.

I have to change out my radiator and u joints and pads and rotors and I plan on doing that all myself. If I can find a place to do it where it's not 115 degrees.

The only things I try not to mess with are things that are old and have rusted bolts. They just snap off and then I have to drill and rethread. Or if I need the rig on a lift to get at things.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Homeguy

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Calgary, AB
I do pretty much everything on my Jeep. I don't do gears and can't press on any bearing do to not having a press.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Veggie Man

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Fort Worth
First Name
John
Last Name
Armstrong
Member #

I do pretty much everything on my Jeep. I don't do gears and can't press on any bearing do to not having a press.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Gears are easier than you think. They are just time consuming.

Reactions: Homeguy

Lead K9

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Franklin Park, Illinois
First Name
Lead
Last Name
Dog
Member #

I take mine to a shop. Doesn't stop me 'tinkering' and sorting bits and pieces from time to time but I'm a long way from being a mechanic so like the reassurance that it's being looked at by the pros. Finding the right shop can be a challenge though.
I'm in the same boat. I'm learning as I go and have some friends that are excellent teachers. But sometimes it is best to work with a professional when it comes to confidence with the larger issues. But that doesn't stop me from learning. I am fortunate that my mechanic is a chatty guy and loves to explain his work. We both win in that regard!

britz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Musselshell, Idaho
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6YTI
I do mostly maintenance and bolt-ons to my rigs, but if there was ever anything major short of a transmission issue, my boyfriend would do it and i'd play tool getter. Ironically, he knows a lot about fixing rigs, but doesn't follow proper maintenance, so he has to wrench a LOT on his rigs.

Saints&Sailors

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Depends on how much money it will save me versus paying a professional. It's also a function of how busy I am and how much I am dreading the job. For example, I had a bad experience replacing drive shaft u-joints so I'd rather pull the part and take it to a shop to get rebuilt than hammer them out without a vise myself. I'll take on most jobs myself that I can do in one day. If it's a multi-day project, since I don't have a real garage, I generally opt to pay someone for that work. That being said, I have three banana skills and like to stay within my comfort zone. Typically, oil changes, basic maintenance, spark plugs, easy remove/replace parts, wheel bearings, etc. I'll do myself so I can use the money saved on labor to buy the best aftermarket part available. Parts are cheap, labor is not.

DMS1

Rank III

Advocate I

San Dimas
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Schmitz
I do all my own work except machining, front end alignments and remove\replace tires on wheels. This way I know that things have been fixed correctly and you get to know your vehicle which helps if you break down while on a trip. You can download service manuals and you tube videos to fix almost anything to use at or even on the trail if you load them on your smart phone or tablet.

Reactions: Saints&Sailors

Daryl 32

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Corona, Ca
Member #

I started working on cars in 9th grade auto shop before I had a car. This being said it depends on the vehicle and what needs to be done. I have built a few vehicles from the ground up, but like Noted said they were simple, mine being per-1975 vehicles.

From me the newer cars with all the electronics on the engine are a little over my head, so my wife's 2012 Fusion goes to the dealer for engine and tranny stuff. I do the brakes and easy things on it.

With the Super duty I do some stuff and other stuff I take to a very trusted Ford factory diesel mechanic.