Wrangler $$?

• HTML tutorial

Caleb.Thomas

Rank 0

Traveler I

Texas
So im dead set on getting a Wrangler for a multitude of reasons. And I'm fairly set on getting a 4 door but still deciding. I've tried to calculated the cost and for a 4 door with tires, a lift, a bumper, lights, and some extra money for repairs I've calculated the total to be around 14,500. About 10 for the Jeep itself and 5g for modifications. Do yall think this is reasonable or am I way underestimating the cost? I'm 16 so I've already got a Cherokee but I want a wrangler for sentimental shit plus it's a wrangler.

Saints&Sailors

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Can't speak for Texas but, in California, you'd have a very tough time finding a four door Wrangler for under $10k. Partially because they didn't make four doors 20 years ago, partially because Wranglers apparently are made out of solid gold in California.

Jedi

Rank VI
Staff member
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Ferndale, WA USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McClory
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6JDI
The Jeep Wrangler you are looking for is a JK Unlimited. Even with the lowest option package, Sport X, and the first year of was made, 2007, you are looking at a Kelly Blue Book price of around $12,000 for anything beyond a mechanic's special.

The mods, that is another bundle of money:
  • Tires will cost about $1,500 for 5 decent ATs.
  • Since you are starting with a Sport X, you will need shocks, control arms, and coils to get even a small lift, costing about $1,200.
  • Going cheap on the bumper (Chinese) is $400 for front. Want rear with tire carrier? That is another $650.
  • Lights (light bar plus rock lights and wiring) will be $300 for the cheap stuff (Chinese).
So, with a little extra money for repairs you are looking between $18,000 and $20,000.

Reactions: 4wheelspulling

Jeff B

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Putnam County, New York, USA
Member #

I don't think you will find any in that price range, like the previous posts have said. You may want to save a little more too, before getting it; because in my opinion, a newer one with the 3.6L would be a better option due to the fact that many say having a lift/tires with the 3.8L is very under powered. I can't speak for the power of the 3.8, because mine has the 3.6. I also have a TJ 4.0L for reference, which doesn't have anywhere near the power of the JK.

Reactions: MazeVX

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
I don't think you will find any in that price range, like the previous posts have said. You may want to save a little more too, before getting it; because in my opinion, a newer one with the 3.6L would be a better option due to the fact that many say having a lift/tires with the 3.8L is very under powered. I can't speak for the power of the 3.8, because mine has the 3.6. I also have a TJ 4.0L for reference, which doesn't have anywhere near the power of the JK.
Jeff, I know numbers wise the TJ has less power but in the seat does it feel that much slower? Driving on the street? I am debating TJ vs JK myself.

Jeff B

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Member #

Graeman, yes it does feel quite a bit slower. I know here in New York, we have California choking emissions on the vehicles, but the JK feels more like a v8. It has 95 more horsepower.

Reactions: Graeman

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
Graeman, yes it does feel quite a bit slower. I know here in New York, we have California choking emissions on the vehicles, but the JK feels more like a v8. It has 95 more horsepower.
Wow, thank you. Better save up more money then.

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
I like the CJ7 and want a better suspension. I want to stay in the 2 door vehicle. I already have a 4runner when I need more room.

Borderline Homeless

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Longmont, Colorado
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Hanff
Member #

So im dead set on getting a Wrangler for a multitude of reasons. And I'm fairly set on getting a 4 door but still deciding. I've tried to calculated the cost and for a 4 door with tires, a lift, a bumper, lights, and some extra money for repairs I've calculated the total to be around 14,500. About 10 for the Jeep itself and 5g for modifications. Do yall think this is reasonable or am I way underestimating the cost? I'm 16 so I've already got a Cherokee but I want a wrangler for sentimental shit plus it's a wrangler.
On that price range you should look at a YJ or TJ. Most of the mods are already on them (might need a bit of love!) and you can save some $$$ in the process. I've got a JKU now but strangely miss my 2 YJs i had over the years. I definitely miss the extra $$$ i spent but what an i going to do...right?

Reactions: Graeman

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Save your money, get the newest 4dr JK you can. Do the mods over time. You wont regret it. If your lucky, you will find someone who jumped on the "I want a Jeep" band wagon. They mod them then realize their BMW drove better and dumped it with low mileage and some small mods. My newest Jeep is an 04 Rubicon. It was sold new with all the options and a 29k price. I bought it in 06 for 16k with 18k mileage, a small lift, tires and 9k winch. They didn't like the way it rode and had horrible mileage.
Watch the market and pounce when you find one. I spent a long time waiting for mine to come along. Also, do some research on lift kits. Not all of them are good. Pay attention to that when buying. Dont forget to look at the undercarriage for dents and bash marks. People think if its a Jeep it's ok to jump it.

Scott

Reactions: 9Mike2 and Kimmar

Caleb.Thomas

Rank 0

Traveler I

Texas
On that price range you should look at a YJ or TJ. Most of the mods are already on them (might need a bit of love!) and you can save some $$$ in the process. I've got a JKU now but strangely miss my 2 YJs i had over the years. I definitely miss the extra $$$ i spent but what an i going to do...right?
Yes I love the YJ and TJ but I'd like the 4 door option bc it's more spacious. I'm gonna use it as my daily and also as my offroad so I'd like something with a little more space

Jeff B

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Member #

Yes I love the YJ and TJ but I'd like the 4 door option bc it's more spacious. I'm gonna use it as my daily and also as my offroad so I'd like something with a little more space
LJ Jeeps (TJ Unlimited) are getting cheaper, although not as cheap as a TJ and have extra wheelbase and length. It is another option you could look into.

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
Save your money, get the newest 4dr JK you can. Do the mods over time. You wont regret it. If your lucky, you will find someone who jumped on the "I want a Jeep" band wagon. They mod them then realize their BMW drove better and dumped it with low mileage and some small mods. My newest Jeep is an 04 Rubicon. It was sold new with all the options and a 29k price. I bought it in 06 for 16k with 18k mileage, a small lift, tires and 9k winch. They didn't like the way it rode and had horrible mileage.
Watch the market and pounce when you find one. I spent a long time waiting for mine to come along. Also, do some research on lift kits. Not all of them are good. Pay attention to that when buying. Dont forget to look at the undercarriage for dents and bash marks. People think if its a Jeep it's ok to jump it.

Scott
That is what I am looking for ‘04 Rubicon.

Saints&Sailors

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Echoing some of the other comments and annotating some of my comments on them:
  1. You're going to be better off with the 3.6L rather than the 3.8L. I believe they started making the 3.6L in the 2012 MY.
  2. I have a TJ with the 4.0L and 4.56 gears on 33" tires. It's a dog, particularly if you go up in elevation or want to drive on the highway. The 3.8L will be just as bad and there are some murmurs about reliability issues with the 3.8L - I don't have any experience with this but something to be aware of. If you're going to go buy a new (to you) Wrangler, you might as well get the 3.6L. The 3.6L not only will have more power (40-50% more than the 4.0L/3.8L) but should get better mileage too. I've had several JKs as rental cars and they are far more powerful than the old 4.0L.
  3. I think some posts have overestimated some items:
    • I put four brand new AT tires on my Jeep for under $700. You can easily find a set of five for under $1k if you shop around, find sales, etc. If you want new wheels too, then you're going to tack on an additional $500 unless you find some used ones on Craigslist.
    • You can do a budget boost style lift kit for far less than $1200 if you're willing to do the work yourself. Again, shop around.
    • Light bars can cost whatever you want them to. I put a small 22" LED light bar on my front bumper for ~$30. I've had it for over two years now with no issues. Granted, if you want something bigger, it will cost more but, IMO, light bars are always a "nice to have" rather than a necessity. At ~$30, I don't care if it gets destroyed by a rock or stolen, I'll simply bolt a new one on. I haven't encountered a single instance where I needed more than this cheap light bar so I could never justify spending hundreds on them like many others do.
    • Bumpers are going to cost whatever the parts cost. Depends on your style, preferences, and willingness to pay. I'm perfectly happy with my stock bumpers. If someone wrecks mine, I'd upgrade but this, like the light bars, isn't an area where I see results for the dollars you're spending.
    • Repairs are going to be highly variable. You might find one that doesn't need anything more than $30 worth of oil. Others, you'll spend a few grand on parts to get back up to date with all the deferred maintenance. I would highly recommend that, whatever you decide to buy, you "baseline" the vehicle to get it up to date on all fluids (engine, F&R differentials, transfer case, transmission, coolant, power steering fluid, brake fluid, etc.), replace the spark plugs, and do anything else in the factory scheduled maintenance that may have been overlooked by the previous owner. If you don't have documentation from the previous owner, assume that the work was never performed. It might cost you a few hundred dollars in parts/fluids and a weekend of your time but it'll give you peace of mind knowing that everything is fresh. This isn't the area to be cheap.
  4. Many TJs are going to be rusted to hell at this point. Even the newest one will be a 2006 MY meaning it was probably built in 2005 unless you got one of the last ones to roll off the assembly line. We're talking about a 13+ year old vehicle. Check the frame, check the bolts, check the underside of the floorboards, check the body. I guarantee you'll find some rust somewhere and it'll make even minor repairs take >2x as long. I hate broken/seized bolts. I own an old TJ. Take it for what it's worth.
  5. I'd be interested in hearing from some people living in Texas about the price on Wranglers there - perhaps they are much cheaper than those of us that live out west.

greydog

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Albuquerque, New Mexcio
First Name
Hugh
Last Name
Bryce
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KA5KLX
I have a 2013 JKU sport and currently it sports a 3.5 inch lift on 35 inch tires and a winch and heavy duty bumpers both front and rear. I traded in my 13 year old TJ and I still paid 18k for but it does have only 48k miles on the odometer. I think you are going to need to raise your budget up some to pull this off. And yes the 3.6 is way better than the 3.8 engine. I have found that even the most worn out JKU in this part of New Mexico is still a 12k rig and you get to fix all the problems on your own dime. Good luck with the search!

Kimmar

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Paradise, NV, USA
First Name
Kimmar
Last Name
Osborne
Caleb,
Are you a member of a jeep club? You can learn a lot from the members about the various lift options and how they treat their JKs and be in the right place at the right time and get a pretty built jeep at a great price. The more you research and ride with fellow Jeepers the more you will know what you want.

Reactions: 4wheelspulling

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

Caleb,
If the shape of your XJ is still in driving, well and safe condition, I would build that up. Many of the parts used to build the XJ could be moved later to the TJ or YJ or even CJ of your choice! The XJ Jeep Cherokee, is a great first time or cheaper Jeep to build and find used parts for. Maybe, you have more money to spend than I did at your age? Besides, having an older Jeep to work on will help you in many ways grow into a better off-roader, and better mechanic! That’s not a bad thing no matter what you end up doing as an adult! Vance.