hgill

Rank 0

Contributor I

Bakersfield, CA, USA
First Name
Harjot
Last Name
Gill
So I rented a 2019 JL Rubicon for a day to do a test drive. It was fully loaded, with leather seats, active cruise control, body color hardtop, and fenders.

It was fun to drive. It was nice being high up, you really feel like your in raised box, but it was nice. It almost feels like a big rig truck, but smaller (if that makes any sense). I really liked the turning radius, it makes driving in the city and parking very easy. It felt a little narrow, but I think that is a good thing, it makes city driving easier, and off road driving easier.

Right now my daily driver is a 2013 Toyota Prius. So, needless to say, the Jeep was uncomfortable compared to the Prius. I've also owned a Toyota tundra, and the jeeps ride was uncomfortable compared to the tundra also. But I think for me, having much better off road capability, is worth it. And for me it wasn't too uncomfortable, but for a person used to a luxury car, it might be really uncomfortable.

But my wife sat in the back seat, and she noticed that the back is much more uncomfortable than the front passenger seat. The bench style stiff seat was uncomfortable to sit on for long periods, and she felt she was bouncing around with the turns, and she felt the bumps and pot holes much more(compared to the Prius)(But that's a given)
But overall she liked the Rubicon also. Driving around near Santa Monica Beach with the freedom panels off was a lot of fun.

Driving at 65-70 mph I did notice wind noise, but it wasn't too bad(it was a hardtop), I did have to speak just little bit louder when talking with my wife who was in the back seat, but I normally speak pretty softly. Now this may get worse overtime as the rubber seals wear.

So I'm thinking about buying a Rubicon JL, maybe near November I'll buy a 2019 when the 2020s come out, maybe I'll get a good deal that way.

Now my only concern is long term reliability. I think having to take it into the dealer frequently for minor things will get pretty annoying (I'm used to Toyota's, and not doing anything other than routine maintenance).

But if I can get a good deal I think I might buy one and keep it for a few years, then sell it or trade it in for a 4runner. If it doesn't give me any problems, maybe I'll keep it forever
My son's 1 year old right now, I want to enjoy the outdoors with him in a jeep. I think he'll think the jeeps cool when he's a little older, and it'll be a father-son bonding activity to take the Jeep out for a spin.

What do you guys think about my plan?

I think the jeeps cool and fun to drive, and giving up on road comfort is not a deal breaker for me. But I've been a Toyota guy my whole life, so I'm used to doing just routine maintenance and nothing more. I'm pretty good about doing routine maintenance on time, if the Jeep continuously starts requiring more than that, then I might not be so excited about the Jeep anymore. Lol

(again, I plan on keeping the Rubicon stock, and don't really plan on doing crazy rock crawling stuff, and I don't plan on turning it into a crazy heavy overlanding rig. But I will, ever now and then, go on some difficult trails. But nothing too crazy) If I do start doing longer overlanding trips, I'll most likely buy a small trailer.

Last edited:
Reactions: MazeVX

Winters Kamp

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Marion, IN, USA
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Winters
Member #

I think the Toyota has a great lifespan compared to any of the big 3 auto makers. They also stand behind their products. They took care of the rusty frame issue that plagued many of the pick up truck owners several years ago, practically buying them a new truck.

I’ve had my share of American made vehicles over the years. This time I’m trying out a Toyota. Hopefully my FJ Cruiser will give me many years of enjoyment.

Reactions: hgill

hgill

Rank 0

Contributor I

Bakersfield, CA, USA
First Name
Harjot
Last Name
Gill
I think the Toyota has a great lifespan compared to any of the big 3 auto makers. They also stand behind their products. They took care of the rusty frame issue that plagued many of the pick up truck owners several years ago, practically buying them a new truck.

I’ve had my share of American made vehicles over the years. This time I’m trying out a Toyota. Hopefully my FJ Cruiser will give me many years of enjoyment.
I'm sure it will. My family's owned Toyota's since the early 90's, and literally if you just stay up with maintenance they'll practically never die.
I still have a 1998 Tacoma we bought it brand new, small two door 4 cylinder, it has about 270k miles on it. It's had small issues, the biggest thing was the catalytic converter needed to be replaced(at about 250K miles), but I found a cheap mechanic and found a used part at the pick-a-part place. And it's been running great.

And honestly, when I was younger I treated that pick up like crap. I would floor it a lot, even on cold mornings right after starting it. I'm surprised its made it this far.

Last edited:

hgill

Rank 0

Contributor I

Bakersfield, CA, USA
First Name
Harjot
Last Name
Gill
Fiat quality is horrible. Love my jeep but day one home means torquing all your bolts to spec and seating all the loose fuses. Besure to drive it and make sure its not got death shimmy or wandering.

They are starting to get a handle on the steering issues, and have rev gear box, trackbar, draglink, steering stabilizer since launch, but drive and make sure its not wandering all over.
What do you mean by "day one home," day one home after buying it from the dealership, or day one home after an off-road trip?

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
I'm betting day 1, literally.

Factory is spotlessly clean. I have no idea why Fiat can't get jeeps right?

Pavement Warrior

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Santa Rosa, CA
First Name
Gary
Last Name
Lund
Member #

What do you mean by "day one home," day one home after buying it from the dealership, or day one home after an off-road trip?
when you get home from dealership. Loose fuses and front end bolts are very common. They launched the JL way under designed on steering strength, and have reved most of it, so hopefully it gets better.

Mine had death shimmy on the highway at 1000 miles, stock never off road yet at that point. Mopar fix is better steering stabilzier (lol), they have a new trackbar tsb for wranglers wandering all over road, but they will not give it to you for the death shimmy.. Gonna go try to talk to dealer..

Lots of guys are simply buying steer smarts yeti trackbars, Jeep has amazing aftermarket support and is so much fun. IT is what it is, jsut be prepared to do spend some time under it.

The funny part is the dealerships keep putting 6 quarts of oil in them on oil changes, JL uses 5 quarters (JK used 6). I jsut change my own, so the 3 free oil changes are goners. The service guys argued with several guys and they had to open up the manual and show them lol.

To be fair I have had toyota dealer do dumb things in the past.. shrugs