Launch Member

Influencer II

Napa Ca
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Stoner
Member #

Well I would say no,no and possibly. My 14 jeep could do the offroad part and storage has been working out but fuel economy and capacity are not great. Believe I have a 300 mile cruising range on a full tank. And alot of stuff needs to be carried externally.

The wife has a 16 4runner. Really falls into the same catagory fuel economy is slightly better but cruising range is pretty similar and has yet to be outfitted at all.

My 03 superduty seems to be a better choice. I have a large gvwr a diesel that gets better mileage then the other two and has a cruising range of roughly 450 miles give or take. In a pinch I can run other fluids suchas engine oil or atf maybe even some cooking oil with decent diesel to misc fluid ratio. But she is a big girl and not a maneuverable as the other two.

A emp would render them all useless though unless modules were stored separately and shielded.

Wouldnt mind having a m1009 . 6.2 mechanical injection diesel . Swap the turbo 400 for a manual nv4500 a 205 and swap out the 10 bolts. Swap the blazer tank with a suburban tank for an added 10 gallons and reinforce the frame a bit. Think you would have very little electronics to deal with.

Not that any of that matters, I do think have a place to really but out to.

Reactions: Rusty burbin

TOMB

Local Expert Central Valley CA

Explorer I

Clovis Ca
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Butler
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6STB
Probably won't bug out, getting too old. Besides whacking some zombies might be fun. My Jeep and Ford SD are my Wig Out Vehicles. When I start to get a little stressed, it's time to go camping or hit the trails. Everyday life will get you quicker than any other catastrophe possibly will.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Rusty burbin

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hesperia, CA 92345, USA
First Name
Jonah
Last Name
Gregg
Member #

Well I would say no,no and possibly. My 14 jeep could do the offroad part and storage has been working out but fuel economy and capacity are not great. Believe I have a 300 mile cruising range on a full tank. And alot of stuff needs to be carried externally.

The wife has a 16 4runner. Really falls into the same catagory fuel economy is slightly better but cruising range is pretty similar and has yet to be outfitted at all.

My 03 superduty seems to be a better choice. I have a large gvwr a diesel that gets better mileage then the other two and has a cruising range of roughly 450 miles give or take. In a pinch I can run other fluids suchas engine oil or atf maybe even some cooking oil with decent diesel to misc fluid ratio. But she is a big girl and not a maneuverable as the other two.

A emp would render them all useless though unless modules were stored separately and shielded.

Wouldnt mind having a m1009 . 6.2 mechanical injection diesel . Swap the turbo 400 for a manual nv4500 a 205 and swap out the 10 bolts. Swap the blazer tank with a suburban tank for an added 10 gallons and reinforce the frame a bit. Think you would have very little electronics to deal with.

Not that any of that matters, I do think have a place to really but out to.
I like the described vehicle!

Rustyburbin (OB#4084) from SoCal 5 kids, wife, dog and a 1970 K20 Suburban

Darthbaggins

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Acworth, GA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Cromartie
Member #

I'll stay where I'm at and the 4Runner will come in handy. Guess it helps I'm on an island 30miles off the mainland of MA. Plus with my 2yr old, wife, and two dogs it be bast to stay in a house setting. Not worried about electronics due to my 15yrs as a ASE tech ;)

Sent from my Pixel using OB Talk mobile app

Last edited:
Reactions: Scout

ASNOBODY

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate II

Detroit, Michigan
Member #

Bug in 100% …truck for recon/scavenging/zombie slaying if needed. If it's a true apocalypse situation… *initialize grey man mode* ... I just need to make it a certain distance to a predetermined location with the fuel I have stored then set up camp.

fstfrd00

Rank IV

Pathfinder III

Fort Worth
My truck is my camping, hunting, fishing, daily driver; so I guess it's my BOV (depending on Terrain). I have a Ford fusion that works better for urban areas when MPGs matter.

Sent from my LGLS992 using OB Talk mobile app

britz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Musselshell, Idaho
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6YTI
We did the opposite, sorta. I'm already at my "bugout location". We built this cabin to be as self sufficient as possible, and if the PV system fails, well I lived here long before we had the solar up and running and indoor plumbing is overated. But that being said, I came close to bugging out with one of the rigs when a huge wildfire ripped through the area in 2015. Fortunately, we had satellite internet, our fire dept radios, other comms and real time info that I could track and we were fortunate. But after that, I decided we needed rigs to get out of dodge, so a focus on overland builds over rock crawling became the priority.

britz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Musselshell, Idaho
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6YTI
Nice rig, looks like a billy goat setup! I'm guessing a 24T front ring? XT is my favorite group. Got caught in that Northridge earthquake in the early 90s, my friends and I had our mtb's and could shuttle water from the Anhueser Busch trucks with improvised panniers instead of hoofing it.

Reactions: Rusty burbin