Would your overlander also become your BOV

• HTML tutorial

Art

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Woodinville, WA
Member #

For me I think the ability to take my vehicle on longer trips is more of a comfort if something like that did happen. Around the PNW the biggest concern is the big earthquake that is supposed to hit us so having a winch ability if needed makes me feel a bit better even though I may never need it for that situation.

Scout

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Jamestown,NY
Member #

I'm building my '66 Scout with as little electronics as possible for this possible reason.. You never know what'll happen and when. And I still have quite a ways to go until its finished.. I also have a '90 Jeep Wrangler with no pcm but like the Scout, it has an electronic distributor..sooo.. My daily is a '16 Toyota Tundra with waaay too much electrical in it.. BUT, that will be my very capable OV tow vehicle.. So between the Scout and the Tundra, Yes.. to answer your question..haha..Or the Scout will be capable to haul the Jeep.. or my side by side..

[DO]Ron

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Geertruidenberg, the Netherlands
First Name
Ron
Last Name
vAch
Member #

Yes it would.. even though wilderness isn't a thing here but when a situation does come that we have to move I rather have a capable vehicle that also can store a good ammount of shit in it so we can bring everything we need :P

Reactions: Art

RedRyder

Rank VI

Influencer I

Rathdrum, ID
First Name
Nathan
Last Name
Bendel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ6MFB
Service Branch
CA State Guard
Absolutely. That's something I take into consideration when planning my build.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: vegasjeepguy

NetDep

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

St. George, UT, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
G
Member #

Would your overlander become your BOV in a situation.
Yes and that was the beginning for my interest in Overlanding. Some of my pics show my plate and that becomes obvious. Nearly all I do - gear, camping and mods - are directed to that end. Great thread!!!! [emoji106]

Rusty burbin

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hesperia, CA 92345, USA
First Name
Jonah
Last Name
Gregg
Member #

This. My BOV just so happens to double as my Overlanding vehicle. I had to justify the purchases somehow...

Sent from my LG-H810 using OB Talk mobile app
Same here... I went with an old Suburban to avoid all the electronics and complicated design that make cars hard to repair in a pinch. Plus I have a big family so I needed the space. My rig fits the bill.

It has become my daily driver and it stays loaded with tools water and food... and other stuff.

It's become a fixture in the family and among my off road enthusiast friends. I couldn't imagine not having it!

I have a build thread. "70 K20 Suburban" if interested.

Rustyburbin from SoCal 5 kids, wife, dog and a 1970 K20 Suburban

Reactions: Jasonb

utspoolup

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Member III

Murray Utah
Member #

I am a prepper... yes I admit it. Only a few who really know me know it. I try to keep it a secret. Is my Rig a BOV.... if I need, yes, but logistically speaking, bugging out period is my absolute last resort. I will bug in. I have years into the planning phase and I believe we could live for over a year without worries or outside sources. Water would be the one "thing" I think we would need. I have @1300 gallons stored right now, and have several dozen ways to filter if something comes up. But in the vehicle, the number one thing needed is fuel. And how much can you really carry and think of our gas mileage...

If I have to leave there is a set list of things I will be taking with me, but it will be last resort to do so and I have a few options open to me where I could go, but none of them are remotely close to being as setup as I am here.

Emayers

Rank 0

Contributor I

Yes for sure. Living in Oregon, I am going to be relying on the Backcountry Discovery Routes to get away from the urban centers. Overlanding and getting out quick, if needed, play hand in hand for me.

Arizona Overland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Cottonwood, Arizona
Member #

I always thought the topic of bugging out was interesting. What are you bugging out from? And where are you bugging out from?
IMHO local disasters are a very real thing. Earthquake, flood, wildfire. Sure, you need a way to bugout. Walking dead scenario? Probably not the best idea. Besides, who's to say your not going to be a zombie?
TEOTWAWKI? I think city dwellers had better think twice about their plans. The country folk aren't going to look kindly upon being invaded by city dwellers.
All that being said, yes, my overland truck would serve as my BOV.

I'm building my '66 Scout with as little electronics as possible for this possible reason.. You never know what'll happen and when. And I still have quite a ways to go until its finished.. I also have a '90 Jeep Wrangler with no pcm but like the Scout, it has an electronic distributor..sooo.. My daily is a '16 Toyota Tundra with waaay too much electrical in it.. BUT, that will be my very capable OV tow vehicle.. So between the Scout and the Tundra, Yes.. to answer your question..haha..Or the Scout will be capable to haul the Jeep.. or my side by side..
Hey, another scout fan. I would love to have a scout traveler I could build into an overland truck. The IH was my first choice. I think it would make a great overloading rig.
Finding one, thats an entirely different conversation.

Tyler Higgins

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Houston,TX
Member #

I would totally use my overlanding rig as my BOV. I plan on putting a good solar system in my rig as well as a fridge so I can keep food. I would also like to add an overlanding trailer at some point.

Sent from my XT1650 using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: NetDep