Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Ball Ground, GA, USA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
McCloskey
Member #

Did you guys see this? It's the Ox. The famous formula 1 designer Gordon Murray designed it. It's the world's first flat-pack vehicle that is designed specifically for use in developing countries that typically have bad (or nonexistent) roads. It's FWD and powered by a Ford 2.2l diesel (100hp and like 285 ft-lb of torque). Body panels are waterproof wood composite, and the driver sits in the middle. Oh yeah, it can haul 4,400 lb and can ford up to 1m of water! :grinning::grinning:

ox.jpg

Read more about it on their website: http://oxgvt.com/

Pretty neat.

Toyotadirtdevil

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Carmichael, California
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Nantz
Member #

That's pretty cool but we'll never see them here in the USA, unfortunately.
I'd like a white one setup like the red one. Look to be a perfect overland rig.

benmmc

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Ball Ground, GA, USA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
McCloskey
Member #

That's pretty cool but we'll never see them here in the USA, unfortunately.
I'd like a white one setup like the red one. Look to be a perfect overland rig.
Yeah I don't think it would be practical here on the interstate with guys going 80 all around. I kinda like being in my fortress of airbags for that situation. :grin:

But yeah it would be a super cool vehicle for off road exploring. Did you see that it has a 40 gallon fuel tank? :openmouth:

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

but FWD?!
If it has a locking or welded front diff, it would be more than capable of handling most roads in developing nations. 4WD adds a lot of weight, cost, and complexity that probably isn't needed. I've seen footage of old Fiats and Toyota sedans driving roads that most of us wouldn't attempt without off road tires and 4WD.

Reactions: Chris Zawacki
E

expeditionnorth

hate to say it but its as ugly as sin

unimog has to be far better in so many ways, thats what I'd get if the funds were there

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

hate to say it but its as ugly as sin

unimog has to be far better in so many ways, thats what I'd get if the funds were there
Most would say the Unimog is ugly, but we can see beauty in the function rather than the form. You hit on the key point "funds". The 'Mog is an expensive vehicle, this is designed as a replacement for burros and carts in the developing world. It's made to be cheap and functional, not pretty.

Reactions: benmmc