Wok vs Scottle

• HTML tutorial

James Deaton

Rank V

Pathfinder I

We switched from a Partner Steel 4 burner camp stove to a 2 burner Camp Chef this year... The Partner Steel couldn't regulate a low flame to save it's life (a known complaint from Partner Steel owners)... The Camp Chef (Everest I think?) is rated high in the low flame/warming department... Will let you know how that goes...

Skottle sounds neat (actually a $20 plow disc without the center mounting hole cut out sounds a whole lot neater), but I don't want something else to pack, and setup... With a family of 5, and a dog, our Expedition is full....

James

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
We switched from a Partner Steel 4 burner camp stove to a 2 burner Camp Chef this year... The Partner Steel couldn't regulate a low flame to save it's life (a known complaint from Partner Steel owners)... The Camp Chef (Everest I think?) is rated high in the low flame/warming department... Will let you know how that goes...

Skottle sounds neat (actually a $20 plow disc without the center mounting hole cut out sounds a whole lot neater), but I don't want something else to pack, and setup... With a family of 5, and a dog, our Expedition is full....

James
Ive used the Everest for some time now and love it.

ArkansasDon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member I

I heard the same on the Partner stoves. I went with the Camp Chef Everest for its BTU's & ability of lowering the frame\heat without issues. I'll take our hand hammered carbon steel wok over the skottle anytime, for its cooking ability & as a easier item to store vs. a more bulker skottle that takes up more room.

ScottinAZ

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Flagstaff, AZ
Member #

At work we call it'calibrating' the stove. Each new partner steel stove needs to be adjusted as well as the tank regulator. Once set the partner stoves are easily adjusted and fully modulating and can idle on low quite nicely. These stoves are pretty basic, but a lot can be tweaked to gain a lot of usability

Reactions: Road

James Deaton

Rank V

Pathfinder I

Good to know now that I sold it and lost a hundred dollars or so in the process...

That’s ok though, we didn’t really get along with the 4 burner with break apart hinge. Our new choice is simpler and smaller...

James

ScottinAZ

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Flagstaff, AZ
Member #

Those 4 burners are huge. We send them out on trips of fifteen people or more for three or four week trips. We also have six burners, can you imagine that?

ScottinAZ

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Flagstaff, AZ
Member #

We also send along a ''blaster". It's a 120 thousand BTU burner. Imagine the wreckage drunk adolescents can do with that weapon!

ArkansasDon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member I

At work we call it'calibrating' the stove. Each new partner steel stove needs to be adjusted as well as the tank regulator. Once set the partner stoves are easily adjusted and fully modulating and can idle on low quite nicely. These stoves are pretty basic, but a lot can be tweaked to gain a lot of usability
you pay that much money for Partner Stove & "you" the owner have to adjust or calibrate it your self? IMO that makes no sense at all. I'll stick with my Camp Chef Everest which no adjustments or calibration is required for a low flame before use.

Reactions: Marek Kacprzak

ScottinAZ

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Flagstaff, AZ
Member #

The guts of a partner stove are super basic. Thats why they are so reliable. The repair kit with all the parts I think is only thirty something bucks. What you are paying for is the aluminum case

ScottinAZ

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Flagstaff, AZ
Member #

The only complaint I have with the Partner stove is that the needle valves are kind of fragile. People seem to feel the need to reef them down tight when they turn off the burners, and that ruins the valves. I constantly have to remind people to turn them off gently. Once the needle valves are damaged, you will have a very hard time adjusting the stove for a low flame. The only cure is a new valve, but those only cost a couple of bucks each

Reactions: Road

ScottinAZ

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Flagstaff, AZ
Member #

You don't necessarily have to be ' easy' on the nobs, just don't destroy them by tightening them down with a monkey wrench. I'm talking about the abuse of rental gear. You would be amazed at what type of abuse this gear has to endure in our rental fleet. We've tried the camp chefs and the Coleman's and they don't last more than one trip. Bummer too, because I really like the power of the Everest stove- I just can't afford the phone calls on day fifteen when the stove stops working and leaking fuel and so bent the lid and windscreens fall off and get lost. I bet no one who uses a partner stove for personal use would abuse it with the same magnitude. People who buy these stoves, do so with the understanding that they will last a lifetime.

Reactions: DesertFox

ArkansasDon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member I

We've tried the camp chefs and the Coleman's and they don't last more than one trip. Bummer too, because I really like the power of the Everest stove- I just can't afford the phone calls on day fifteen when the stove stops working and leaking fuel and so bent the lid and windscreens fall off and get lost. .
That's a false statement if I ever heard one. I never had any issues with my Camp Chef Everest. You should be careful of posting false allegations like that.

GeoGreg

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Simi Valley, CA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Lovell
Member #

I’ve been using the same Coleman stove for almost 20 years that set me back 30 bucks at an end of the season Target sale.

Set up is open the lid and screw on bottle. Adjust temp with the knobs, grill on the left, cook eye on the right.

Got a old heavy skillet pan that fits on the left grill if wanting to cook hotcake or hasbbrowns.

Put a larger pan on grill side for pasta and smaller pan for sauce on the right. Drain, mix the two, toss aluminum foil over grate and grill garlic bread that includes grill marks.

Kinda like the Swiss Army knife of stoves.

Last year I found a used one at a Garage sale that looks like it was only cooked on once or twice for 10 bucks. As the first one is over 15 years old and still working, no clue when I’ll ever start using the “new one” or when I will need to find something else.

EA97ACA3-DB58-4644-B57C-EA9E20D0A59C.jpeg

I’ve been told that the newer ones aren’t as good. If my old “new” one works as well and long as the first I’ll be over 70 before I’ll ever find out.

Horse Soldier

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Louisville Ky
First Name
B
Last Name
Davis
Member #

I like my work and small pans / bowls. I tried the scottle and we did not mesh so it was given to a friend.