Launch Member

Advocate III

Haslet, Texas, USA
First Name
Craig
Last Name
M
Member #

Looks to me like just a rip off of a plow disc cooker with a trendy name that makes it sound fancy. Not sure where all of this mystique came from.. I mean, other than from someone good at marketing.

If you plan to get one, just know that there are options out there that are much cheaper than the designer version.

MikeO

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Sweden
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Olofsson
Member #

We have Muurika, which is a Finnish product similar to the scottle and has been around for years. But it is a bit too awkward to pack and doesn’t replace my Primus two-plate gas burner. So the Muurika has yet to be used seriously. I’ve also used a Weber gas burning grill which has worked well but also takes too much space on longer trips.
In the end, the Primus and a smaller Trangia burner fits how we travel and eat off grid.

NMTaco

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Albuquerque New Mexico
Member #

AF931A02-BFB7-42DC-9D64-2B954CF7CC3C.jpeg I didn’t know what a skottle was until I looked it up. In the Southwest we made these things out of old plow discs. I have several different sizes, tall ones with large cooking capacity and a small table top version for day trips. The small one uses an old fryer stand I got at a garage sale and the plow disc I got for free, welded a plug in the center and horse shoe handles and you have a Skottle for less then $25.00. It is seasoned using the same process as that of the skottle and it works great.

AlexG

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Kingsburg, CA
Member #

I would like to get a skottle but I just can't justify the price to get one. Currently I'm just using a two burner Coleman plus a hikers stove (mini isobutene burner). When I was younger I remember we had a plow disk fryer and cooked just about everything in there. I'm always keeping my eye out whenever I visit the local flea markets in hopes to find one.

Reactions: SLO Rob

SLO Rob

Rank VI
Staff member
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder III

San Luis Obispo, CA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Petterson
Member #

I have a Scottle and a Coleman two burner. I prefer to cook on the Scottle. I regulate the heat by moving food up the sides and therefore can have several different items on it at the same time. The "assembly" is less that the coleman stove. I mean, you screw on the legs with wing nuts and the burner slides in...and I slide it out and make coffee too, if I want...its just a single burner anyway. The other plus is that simply, it's fun to use. Its standing around it with friends and poking at it like cavemen. At OTG 2016 I had brought a few "yards" of sausage and just kept it going for hours with a giant pile of toothpicks and made tons of people happy. Can I do that in my Coleman using a lodge pan? I guess. But I can fit WAY more on the scottle and it became a focal point for everyone to gather around.

Hans Sommer

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Arroyo Grande CA
First Name
Hans
Last Name
Sommer
Member #

I personally keep the load light so there’s less stuff to unload or clean. I’m sure a scottlewould be fun to cook with but I prefer to use the fire to cook on with foil packs or my Cowboy Kabobs which is basically a big ass stainless skewer that fits across fire pits with a wood handle. I know your not supposed to promote stuff in these groups but this is a tool I came up with over the years of overlanding, car camping and canoe camping where you don’t want to haul a BBQ, grills or use nasty camp site grills. You basically skewer your meat, potatoes, or any number of things and grill them over the coals. Clean up is basic, just shove it in the coals to burn it off and pour beer or water over the metal to cool it off. Plus it makes for a great marshmallow stick.

Attachments

Joe Mayernik

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Park City
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Mayernik
Member #

I don't personally find them appealing at all. I prefer my small msi nesting pots and pans that take up very little space and work well on my camp chef mountain series two burner stove. I also have a griddle for it, which lets me cook some things more like a wok. I have two different sized pots, and a pan, some cups, some bowls.

Also probably depends a lot on what you cook, and how much. I rarely need to cook for more than 2 adults and 2 kids, so a small pot is plenty.

I also am not sure how I could cook in odd places. I can use my two burner on my tailgate in a parking lot without being to conspicuous and it blocks wind really well. Also works at higher elevations better than an average setup.

How do people pack those skottles? they look huge and finicky to setup.

Joe Mayernik

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Park City
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Mayernik
Member #

I don't personally find them appealing at all. I prefer my small msi nesting pots and pans that take up very little space and work well on my camp chef mountain series two burner stove. I also have a griddle for it, which lets me cook some things more like a wok. I have two different sized pots, and a pan, some cups, some bowls.

Also probably depends a lot on what you cook, and how much. I rarely need to cook for more than 2 adults and 2 kids, so a small pot is plenty.

I also am not sure how I could cook in odd places. I can use my two burner on my tailgate in a parking lot without being to conspicuous and it blocks wind really well. Also works at higher elevations better than an average setup.

How do people pack those skottles? they look huge and finicky to setup

Did you make those bags on the lid or can you buy them?

Caligirlnic

Rank IV

Enthusiast II

Bend, OR, USA
First Name
Nicci
Last Name
miller
The Skottle looks a lot like the old Red Devil, which I used a ton car camping with the kids. And it is true that most of the heat is concentrated in the middle. The Red Devil did come with a second attachment that was a grill as well and you could put pots on it to boil water. I think the Skottle is way too expensive for what you get. A good 2 burner camp stove and a grill you can stake over a fire is a bit more authentic which is what I prefer.

Reactions: DesertFox

Meeker

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Jacksonville FL
First Name
Randy
Last Name
Meeker
Member #

Screenshot_20180118-222215.png I use my brand named Skottle about 3 nights a week on my porch. Worth every penny I spent. Yes I could have made one for less but my time was more valuable in this case. Also, my BBQ grill cost about 3 times more and hasn't been used once since the skottle arrived 4 months ago.

Roy L Mankins

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Pahrump, NV
Member #

I just bought a disc from a vendor in New Mexico. I have a Volcano stove I purchased from Utah, the 2 together work very well.
It is heavy, so is the volcano but the 2 make a great combination. I am in the process of seasoning the pan, a process that needs to be done completely so my omelettes will turn out well
I have every BBQ and stove known man and am trying this because of the durability and using the volcano widens my fuel source selection.
For a start it seems to work well. I liked cooking on it, the volcano heats a failry large area in the center, pretty nice to cook something then move it farther up the side to keep it warm.
Maybe a fad but cowboys used them a long time so might as well give it a shot

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: SLO Rob and NMTaco

SAC-CA-Runner

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Dublin, CA
Member #

I would like to get a skottle but I just can't justify the price to get one. Currently I'm just using a two burner Coleman plus a hikers stove (mini isobutene burner). When I was younger I remember we had a plow disk fryer and cooked just about everything in there. I'm always keeping my eye out whenever I visit the local flea markets in hopes to find one.
I'm selling mine if you want to save some $$$ on a used one. Take a look in the classifieds. Could meet you in Manteca or something. :-)

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
Depending on the meals planned, I take a combo of the following.--an Iron Skillet, a Wok, or a normal frying pan. They all pack nicely in the storage bin. I find the wok and the iron skillet the most versatile

interscope8

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Lafayette IN
Member #

I haven't used my Skottle much, but let me tell you not having to lean over an open fire to cook on cast iron is nice. Being able to stand and grille away from the smoke creates a bit more relaxed experience. It's by no means a replacement to a 2 burner grille IMO. I use both. But the Skottle packs up fairly small, is fun to cook on, keeps food nice and toasty until its ready to eat, and is EXTREMELY versatile for cooking. I can cook cinnamon rolls on the same think I cooked last nights fajitas on, hecka cool. On top of that clean up is easy so after I have a food baby I don't have to spend an hour cleaning up, I can just relax by the fire until bed time.

If you're on the fence about getting one I'm sure there's someone near you, try to schedule a meetup, grill some food together and try it out. I use mine at home and while camping.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
I got the opportunity to cook several meals on a Skottle during our recent Mojave Road trip, in general I really like it! it seems versatile and easy to use and clean. So the only down side is the cost and that will probably keep me from getting one for awhile.

Reactions: HappyOurOverlanding