Wok vs Scottle

• HTML tutorial

Kenslittle72

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Princeton, Moorpark
Member #

The big thing I see about the Skottle is the fact that it is self standing. I use a colman and a skillet and it is a two hand operation sometimes with the hot skillet sliding around as you are trying to cook eggs. I have thought about building a low buck Plow disk version with some legs that fit over the jet boil I have or a colman burner like the skottle uses.

TSnider

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Carbondale, CO
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0UYA
Reviving this thread to say the skottle is a kick ass, all in one unit. I like only having a single dish to clean and carry. I do carry a small fold up non stick for eggs though, as I always get black eggs on the skottle.

People hate on them because they are a sort of fad, but thats because they are a really useful setup you can do a lot with. Cool stuff gets popular it turns out. With the lid and the steam tray you can bake pizzas, frozen fruit pies, potpies, take and bake breads, etc really easily. I have made a philly cheese steak mixture, moved it to the side, and baked the bread on the steam tray and then the steak is still being kept warm on the outside perimeter of the skottle. fruit pies with a scoop of ice cream on top will make you a hero to your buddies. I can toast frozen waffles in the morning if I dont want to get too involved with cooking.

I can cook for myself, or I can cook for a big group all with one unit. True fanboy here. And if its windy they sell an attachment, but I usually just grab some aluminum foil and wrap it around the burner and the problem is solved.

TSnider

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Carbondale, CO
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0UYA
Could it except a different pot.
No it’s just a cheap propane burner that tightens to the bottom of the skottle. I’d think there would be a lot of heat lost if you just put a big pot on top of the skottle. You would be better off with a big pot and different burner

wandering nomad

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

pnw
Member #

Thanks, We do a lot of fishing and crabbing catch to cook is important. Need the best of both worlds.

Kimmar

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Paradise, NV, USA
First Name
Kimmar
Last Name
Osborne
Reviving this thread to say the skottle is a kick ass, all in one unit. I like only having a single dish to clean and carry. I do carry a small fold up non stick for eggs though, as I always get black eggs on the skottle.

People hate on them because they are a sort of fad, but thats because they are a really useful setup you can do a lot with. Cool stuff gets popular it turns out. With the lid and the steam tray you can bake pizzas, frozen fruit pies, potpies, take and bake breads, etc really easily. I have made a philly cheese steak mixture, moved it to the side, and baked the bread on the steam tray and then the steak is still being kept warm on the outside perimeter of the skottle. fruit pies with a scoop of ice cream on top will make you a hero to your buddies. I can toast frozen waffles in the morning if I dont want to get too involved with cooking.

I can cook for myself, or I can cook for a big group all with one unit. True fanboy here. And if its windy they sell an attachment, but I usually just grab some aluminum foil and wrap it around the burner and the problem is solved.

TSnider, I love your description, I think I'm sold!