WJ TrailRunner (Building a Capable 2WD Overlander)

• HTML tutorial

GoHeels

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Wilmington NC
Member #

As far as the rear shock goes I've seen it both ways. I just installed mine upside down so It does not run when flexing.
Makes sense, my current tires aren't that wide. Might help out with the new ones though. I think the other idea is if you did flip them (the right way) they are more protected from rocks.

GoHeels

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Wilmington NC
Member #

Cool build! I used to have a WJ, loved it!
Thanks man, i'm still finishing up the first phase of making it a little more capable with locker, recovery, armor etc.
Then the fun stuff begins. I got some ideas for rear storage, and i'm seriously debating a roof top tent.

Overland-Indiana

Overland Bound - Midwest Regional Ambassador
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

Thanks man, i'm still finishing up the first phase of making it a little more capable with locker, recovery, armor etc.
Then the fun stuff begins. I got some ideas for rear storage, and i'm seriously debating a roof top tent.
I'll be picking up a RTT soon, definitely worth considering

GoHeels

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Wilmington NC
Member #

Got to test the Winch out today.
It finally stopped raining, so I hit a few trails near the house, not many pics, not a lot to see there. On the way out I mistakenly cut across the muddy ruts and had to put the winch to use. Screenshot_2016-05-31-16-22-48-2.png

Normally I wouldn't have cut across them but with the new locker I was doing really good, plenty of traction until then. The nearly bald AT/Radials didn't help.

20160531_101753.jpg

20160531_102845.jpg

Not gonna lie, I wasn't to upset I had been itching to try this thing out anyway.

Winch worked good, other than a short duty cycle (30-45secs), and slower line reel rate compared to others i've seen used.
20160531_102852.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: HangryMachinist

GoHeels

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Wilmington NC
Member #

Bedliner: The cladding, fenders, and Bumpers.

Started Bed lining the Jeeps lower half today, the project will cover the cladding, cut fenders and bumpers.

Sanded everything with Auto grade 180 grit sandpaper (bedliner instructions recommend 120-220). washed and wiped it down, then tapped it off.
I bought "frog tape" I had heard good things, unfortunately I was very disappointed. One thing it doesn't bend/curve around corners like 3m auto tape does, this left me with very straight edges and corners, plus it bled through in some areas, even though it's specifically not supposed to.

Bed liner was 1 gal of Rustoleum Bed liner "professional".
20160608_124613.jpg

First layer was a little interesting, didn't have much texture, and refused to stick in a few areas. Honestly had me a little worried.

20160608_130606.jpg

After a couple touch ups with a brush and a few hour wait, I rolled on a second heavy layer. I learned that if I waited for it to get tacky and rolled brush over it i got more texture like I wanted.

20160608_130635.jpg

As you can see the lines are far from curvy, so i'll re tape with some 3m and get a smoother look, tomorrow.

Also the Frog tape left tape goop, not very good quality despite the price. :(
Goof off will get that too.
20160608_130400.jpg
The questionable line on drivers door was where it bled through and i tried to touch it up. Gotta fix that tomorrow as well.

The texture ....20160608_130433.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Steve

GoHeels

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Wilmington NC
Member #

Sanded and Scuffed up the Bumpers, the front was actually from a color match limited black, and had a gloss finish so took a little more than the rear.20160609_102419.jpg

Same process as before, rolled, touched up, then rolled heavy to get texture.
20160609_121707.jpg

20160609_121644.jpg
Need to hide those power cables for winch better, and still haven't gotten the front skid put on. That will be lined as well when it goes on.
20160609_121539.jpg
20160609_121426.jpg
20160609_121406.jpg

So now that's all said and done, i'm debating on painting the white either Desert Sand/Tan color, or Jungle Green color. If it happens it will be down the road a ways, cause the next major mod will be tires.

Reactions: Crispy and O.Dfj

GoHeels

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Wilmington NC
Member #

Locker test:
Put the rig through its first little test. Got bored today and hit up a few local trails.
Can't believe what a difference the locker actually has made. able to finally go places I wouldn't/couldn't before.
Screenshot_2016-06-10-11-47-10-1.png 20160610_090736.jpg

More images here: http://overlandbound.com/forums/threads/local-trails-first-real-test-of-the-locker.1915/

Things I have realized. tires are a must, A/t just don't grip, or clean there tracton well.... especially when they are less than 50% life left. Quick disco Sway links are they best cheap and convenient part. Love my RC ones.

GoHeels

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Wilmington NC
Member #

Having some Firestone Destination A/Ts put on.
Not the muds I wanted, I was gonna wait another month, but have a big trip coming in a day or 2 due to family death.

These were only $148 each and best deal I could find to be put on with short notice.

GoHeels

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Wilmington NC
Member #

Got my, Members Welcome box (or whatever it's called lol)
So finally going to get some OB stickers on the Jeep.

Working on an overhead rack to hold fishing poles. Attaches through headliner.

Also looking into water storage, thinking about planning a fishing get away soon.

Zydeco blue

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Ward
Member #

How is the rear locker working out on the road now that you have had it on a while, im looking at doing it to mine.

GoHeels

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Wilmington NC
Member #

Great, only noise is where backing up at sharp angles (ratcheting) can only really hear it with windows open.

So far I've only ever heard it screach on U-Turns if I gas it to quickly. Happen maybe 4-5times.

I've seen no noticeable tire wear, which I shouldn't because it opens like it should.
Also a little more traction if you really mash the skinny at takeoffs.

All in all I'd say definitely worth it.
For the price, and benefits I'd definitely do again.

Reactions: stoney126