With a $1100 budget, what upgrades from stock would you get?

• HTML tutorial

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

No
Member #

It absolutely depends on what kind of off-road traveling you plan on doing and if you're planning on traveling mostly solo or with other vehicles. If you plan on encountering a lot of muddy or sand trails, maxtrax and or other recovery gear might be important. Rough rocky stuff, sliders and skids would be also be important. Mostly dirt roads, maybe good camping gear etc might be mostly what you need. Evaluating what you want to do and the worst case scenario in the conditions you plan on traveling in should create a list pretty easily. I would also look into what likes to break on that vehicle and what is hard to get and bring spares if some part is known to fail etc... and you can't upgrade it to something better. For example maybe ball joints are weak on those, get a couple and the appropriate tools and watch a YouTube video so you're at least prepared for a known issue? Your vehicle is the most important part of an overland trip, all the neat guy stuff doesn't matter if your vehicle is is broken. Maintenance, upgrades for reliability, and protection from potential hazards are priority, the other stuff is just a fun way to spend money.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Last edited:
Reactions: LandPirate

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

Tires.

Hands down the most important mod is tires. The best rig in the world is nothing but a 5,000# doorstop without good rubber on the rims. I will sleep out in the open, eat packaged food, and buy yard sale camping gear before I skimp on tires.

Next I would go for recovery gear. Shackles, straps, shovel, maybe a high-lift jack.

Then I would do a lift and armor, but I do more crawling than many here. I would at least get some sliders.

Finally, buy gasoline, a map, and point the headlights at something interesting.

Reactions: LandPirate and 000

WrightRunner

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

MONUMENT RANCH PERRIS CA 92570
First Name
Douglas
Last Name
Wright
Member #

Tires.

Hands down the most important mod is tires. The best rig in the world is nothing but a 5,000# doorstop without good rubber on the rims. I will sleep out in the open, eat packaged food, and buy yard sale camping gear before I skimp on tires.

Next I would go for recovery gear. Shackles, straps, shovel, maybe a high-lift jack.

Then I would do a lift and armor, but I do more crawling than many here. I would at least get some sliders.

Finally, buy gasoline, a map, and point the headlights at something interesting.
I don't think the $1100.00 is going to cover that ether!

Wolvee

ᕕ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° ) ︻デ═一 pew pew
Staff member
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

When I don't have anything planned for the Truck and I have extra Cash, I use it for paying for my Licenses, Camping Fees and sometimes even a Trip slush fund. ..A slush fund because it never fails to have to pay for a broken part either on the Trail or after the trip. And without fail, no matter how good your accountant is, a life bill will pop up that needs your attention, lol.

Basically I'm suggesting that we do anything in our power to make sure we can actually get on the trail. I don't think it necessarily matters how built our vehicles are with the latest fancy stuff. Get the basics covered, Water, Food, Fuel, Licenses & Time. I've always thought the most important things were Time and actually Getting the tire on the Trail. If your tires hit the trail, you're 3/4 the way there. :0)

Reactions: WrightRunner

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

I don't think the $1100.00 is going to cover that ether!
It's more about the order of operations. When someone asks for guidance on their build, I try to cover the general trajectory, not just the first step. Plus, the thing that I would do isn't necessarily what the next guy would. Seeing the direction and understanding the "why" can be as helpful as just getting a simple answer. This way he can decide if the reasoning is sound and if it applies.

Also, I know fabricators who help me make stuff for super cheap at times. When you offer up your rig for a week of prototyping, you can sometimes get the first one for next to nothing.

WrightRunner

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

MONUMENT RANCH PERRIS CA 92570
First Name
Douglas
Last Name
Wright
Member #

When I don't have anything planned for the Truck and I have extra Cash, I use it for paying for my Licenses, Camping Fees and sometimes even a Trip slush fund. ..A slush fund because it never fails to have to pay for a broken part either on the Trail or after the trip. And without fail, no matter how good your accountant is, a life bill will pop up that needs your attention, lol.

Basically I'm suggesting that we do anything in our power to make sure we can actually get on the trail. I don't think it necessarily matters how built our vehicles are with the latest fancy stuff. Get the basics covered, Water, Food, Fuel, Licenses & Time. I've always thought the most important things were Time and actually Getting the tire on the Trail. If your tires hit the trail, you're 3/4 the way there. :0)
i like that!

Drftsub

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA
Member #

Since you mentioned tires are already in the plan, and everyone has echoed the maintenance items (don't skimp here) past those my personal recommended starting areas would be:
  • Self recovery items (traction boards, straps, come-along can work in a pinch etc)
  • Skidplates - especially w low height vehicles, a small rock can mean a hole where you don't want one
  • Sliders - back to the low height thing, this can help a ton

From there just get out, a lot of people do quite a bit with a mostly stock vehicle, just make sure you look at your routes appropriately. I am a fan of the "overbuild so it doesn't break" theory so my truck will handle a lot more than I will willingly put it through, even if it is a little overkill.

Reactions: LandPirate

jazzy13

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Newport, RI, USA
First Name
Jon
Last Name
Azbill
Member #

My best suggestion is to start with the bare minimum to get yourself out there camping, and see what you specifically need. For example, I would love to get a ham radio installed, but for now I have absolutely no need for one since no one else I go out with has one, whereas someone else on here absolutely needs a ham. All depends what you need.
Absolutely agree. It's priority dependent...camping, trails, traveling, etc.
For me, recovery and sustainability always come first for peace of mind.
- Winch: Harbor freight has winch for ~$200. Buy winch accessories one at time and find good deals on amazon.
- Water and fuel cans. Only been doing outdoors for a few months and used both several times. Walmart reliance water cans and scepter fuel cans on eBay.
- Viair 88p compressor $50 on amazon and tire deflators $25 on amazon. You'll save yourself buying new tires.
- rear tire carrier with jerry can and hijack holders. Great for opening up storage space and easy access to change tire if stuck in mud or can't get under your truck to change tire.
- trasharoo is a must when camping
- this is for girls in my family...toilet tent is only way they'll go camping. Lol

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk