With a $1100 budget, what upgrades from stock would you get?

• HTML tutorial

Thelgord

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Harlem, GA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Lyons
Member #

Title really says it all. In a few weeks I will have a budget of around $1100 to upgrade my ride, a 1999 Isuzu Vehicross. Who even buys those? LOL!

Really I will have $1500, but I plan on using $200 for a higher output alternator as the OEM one is a measly 75Watts, and another $200 on new shocks. That will leave around $1100 for other upgrades/gear. Just looking for ideas so I can better plan this build. I don't plan on doing a lift as clearance is already good, and tires are already budgeted for.

Things I am look at getting are a CB Radio, GMRS radio (I have a license), maybe some storage boxes, new tent maybe, roof rack/cross bars, traction mats, and other small items. A winch and which mount would take the $1100 easy enough, I am just not sure I want to sink the entire $1100 into a single item.

Any, I am just looking for ideas at this point so I can make the best use of this money as I can. Thanks for any input.

My best suggestion is to start with the bare minimum to get yourself out there camping, and see what you specifically need. For example, I would love to get a ham radio installed, but for now I have absolutely no need for one since no one else I go out with has one, whereas someone else on here absolutely needs a ham. All depends what you need.

Saints&Sailors

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

In my opinion:
  1. General maintenance - get everything up to date on service. Fluids, oils, grease all the zerks, brakes, inspect EVERYTHING, u-joints, bearings, etc.
  2. Recovery gear - decent tool kit for trail repairs (nothing fancy, Harbor Freight socket set + pliers, screwdrivers, etc. should be good enough to start); recovery strap with front and rear recovery points; fix a flat; small shovel; work gloves, CB radio, etc.
  3. Better tires.
  4. Small lift or rear locker.
  5. Sliders.
I'm sure others will have other priorities but, if I were to build my Jeep over again, this is the order I would follow.

Last edited:

FeralBoy

Rank 0

Traveler I

Indiana
More power puller or Hi lift jack, E tool (army shovel), something to lay on as you make field repairs ( I have a few pieces of foam flooring puzzle pieces..)

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Daniel Etter

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fishers, IN
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Etter
Member #

My advice, spend on what it takes to make the vehicle reliable (i.e. Maintenance). Then on what camping things you need and then the rest use as travel/food expenses for a trip. The whole point is to get out and explore, and if your vehicle can already get you to places you want to go, then do it! Otherwise, you will have to wait longer to build up funds for an adventure because the budget was spent on things that might not be essential yet. Plus, getting out now will help decide what upgrades you actually need for the future, or what can be pushed back on the list. Just my own thoughts though!

Thelgord

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Harlem, GA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Lyons
Member #

Thank you all for the advice! I knew asking here would be a good thing. Thanks again!

alaskan.lad

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Palmer, Alaska
First Name
Gabe
Last Name
Hurt
Member #

x3 on maintenance firstly with maintenance tools in that factor, then onto recovery: a kinetic rope does wonders (bubba rope, voodoo etc.) for your vehicle and back, identifying your tow points and making sure they are accessible either with hard or soft shackles, shovel, maxtrax. If you have factory roof bars on the vehicle I am a fan of doing some basic carpentry for an adventure rack with a rocket box and tool mounts to keep stuff out of the cab. Right channel radios has good deals on CB kits, and they are helpful to have. Check your local craigslist for tents (and really all of this stuff) and you might pick up some good deals. Depending on how cushy you like to camp, a lot can be done with just a jet boil and a good sauce pot/saute pan. A decent cooler; there are plenty of off brands that can hang with Yeti now-a-days.

What tires did you decide to go with? Any pictures?

Good luck and keep us in the loop!

Reactions: buckwilk

Overland-Indiana

Overland Bound - Midwest Regional Ambassador
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

These guys nailed a lot of the valid points... My advice, take it on a couple trips. See what stuff either breaks and needs replaced or look for areas to improve. I made the mistake of decking out my rig then got it out and realized I didn't actually need most of the stuff and found things I could have REALLY needed instead. Get it up to date on maintenance and wear parts then take it exploring and decide what you actually need.