US Rocky Mountain Winter Weekender: Colorado Banana Belt 2.1

• HTML tutorial

How interested would you be in Friday night as well?

• Definitely

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Strong maybe

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Slight maybe

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • No interest

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

urbanarmed

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Pueblo West, CO, USA
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Chase
Member #

Just seen you was planning a winter trip. This what we hafve been jonesen for. We will more than likely be up for Friday camping.
oh, meetup Friday afternoon? I could be down for that!
We\'ll work out both Friday and Saturday meetup details as we get closer. I\'ll probably take a run up there soon to check out the group campsite I have in mind.
If you have a GPX I can go take a look this weekend!

Neal A. Tew

US Rocky Mountain Local Expert
Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
For anyone interested in our Telegram discussion on this event:

If you're not familiar with it, it's a bit more informal and a lot of the ideas start there. We try to make sure that any formal decisions make it to this thread as soon as possible so no one misses out.

Reactions: Wandering Wanda

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Rally Point Details:
For those arriving Saturday, the meeting is 10 AM at the Seep Springs OHV staging area. (1st listed meeting location.) Please air down here and be ready to roll ASAP.

For anyone that wants to come early, the Primary Base Camp coordinates are also listed. The GPS route from staging to camp is listed in the next post as well as all the other event routes.

We'll try to have a trail run for those those that don't need to go immediately to base camp and another leaving from base camp. .... TBD

Sunday we'll depart through Red Canyon Park traveling up Shelf Road to Cripple Creek for stop at the mining overlook. From there the main group will continue towards Colorado Springs via Gold Camp and Old Stage Roads. Anyone that wishes to head out in another direction from Cripple Creek will be welcome to do so.

The night(s) will be long and potentially quite cold so don't forget plenty of layers and possibly a tent safe personal heater. Last year it was 16 degrees that morning.

Banana Belt info: What is a Banana Belt Anyway? - Royal Gorge Region

Canon City weather: Canon City, CO 10-Day Weather Forecast - The Weather Channel | Weather.com

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
UPDATED MEETING COORDINATES: 38°37'44.6"N 105°13'41.8"W

EDIT: Not all descriptions are accurate due to the institution of Plan B:

Meeting point to base camp:

Camp to Overlook Hike and Red Canyon Park

Garden Park Rd to the Bank Loop

Dinosaur Drive (alternate)

Sunday to Shelf Rd:

Gold Camp Rd:

Old Stage Rd:

Last edited:

TheBison

Rank V

Trail Blazer III

Hartsel, CO
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Foltz
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AA0BF / WRMI426
Service Branch
U.S. Army
@neal I know you asked me a question about bringing my trailer in the last few days but I can't find the post anywhere. What were you wanting to know?

tim.lemons

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Colorado Springs, CO, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Lemons
Member #

Just seen you was planning a winter trip. This what we hafve been jonesen for. We will more than likely be up for Friday camping.
We\'ll work out both Friday and Saturday meetup details as we get closer. I\'ll probably take a run up there soon to check out the group campsite I have in mind.
Let me know if you are going to scout things out early (this weekend). I can run up with you and grab some pics/vids for the group.

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Let me know if you are going to scout things out early (this weekend). I can run up with you and grab some pics/vids for the group.
Thanks! We went Saturday.

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
All attendees: Please follow this thread closely!

BLM closures due to snowfall could affect our plans this weekend. I'm awaiting a call back from BLM to help me decide whether we should punt.

There's a BLM campground we can use for a Plan B, but it might be a moot point if we lose our Saturday routes. Sunday routes should remain available, but there are areas that could be a serious concern if icy.

Sorry for the frozen bananas, guys, but they do make great smoothies. If anyone decides to back out before a final decision is made, please adjust your RSVP accordingly.

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

I think it's best if I back out. It a great trip, but not if they close off everything. I sorry I was looking forward to visiting with everyone. Take care everyone.

• Sad
Reactions: trail_runn4r