US Rocky Mountain Winter Weekender: Colorado Banana Belt 2.1

• HTML tutorial

How interested would you be in Friday night as well?

• Definitely

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Strong maybe

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Slight maybe

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • No interest

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Neal A. Tew

US Rocky Mountain Local Expert
Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW

MEETING AREA and BASE CAMP have changed! We will be using The Banks Campground just north of Canon City. The location information has been updated for the Rally Point plus you should have no trouble navigating there using your normal navigation method searching for "The Banks Campground". The coordinates listed are of the exact meeting area, the double parking at the entrance. There is a pit toilet there. See details below AND FOLLOW THE MAIN FORUM THREAD CREATED BY THIS RALLY POINT

Last edited:

zgfiredude

Rank VI

Steward I

Silt, CO, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Nichols
Member #

Service Branch
Firefighter
From the photos, this looks fairly easy........is it Teardrop trailerable? Did everyone sleep in their vehicles? I didn't see any camp set up pics.

Reactions: Wandering Wanda

trail_runn4r

US Rocky Mtn. Local Expert. Colorado: Denver Area

Pathfinder III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Carlo
Last Name
Donzelli
Member #

From the photos, this looks fairly easy........is it Teardrop trailerable? Did everyone sleep in their vehicles? I didn't see any camp set up pics.
iirc 4 of us slept inside our vehicles and 1 in a RTT.
What are you driving and what trailer do you have?

trail_runn4r

US Rocky Mtn. Local Expert. Colorado: Denver Area

Pathfinder III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Carlo
Last Name
Donzelli
Member #

Jeep JKUR.....off road-ish teardrop, NuCamp Tag.
since it’s only for a night I would not bother to bring the trailer.
I’m no expert but for what I can see doesn’t look that offroad capable.
but you will know better than me how it will perform!

TheBison

Rank V

Trail Blazer III

Hartsel, CO
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Foltz
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AA0BF / WRMI426
Service Branch
U.S. Army
I was debating jumping in on this and bringing our Hiker trailer as well. I don't think any of the Saturday trails are technical, and we could always park the trailer for the OHV trails on Sunday.

TheBison

Rank V

Trail Blazer III

Hartsel, CO
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Foltz
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AA0BF / WRMI426
Service Branch
U.S. Army
Looks like we didn't jump on this fast enough and the run is already full! Maybe next year.

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Looks like we didn't jump on this fast enough and the run is already full! Maybe next year.
You don't know me very well if you think you're off the hook that easily! :sunglasses: I have a habit of trying to accommodate everyone. Don't rule it out just yet.

As for the trailer, know that in my haste to get the event on the calendar I simply copied last year and it was just a general plan. Last year we also did the Bank Trail which may have been more than you would want. However, it's a loop and we ultimately camped near the end which you could probably make work. We also took a trail out to an overlook for the view and a hike that was a little technical. It was out and back so I suppose you could drop the trailer in that scenario.

I know I've asked before, but I don't remember. Do you have any experience with Texas Creek OHV? I want to try that as a winter camping run at some point.

Also, do you have any interest in Friday night as well?

TheBison

Rank V

Trail Blazer III

Hartsel, CO
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Foltz
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AA0BF / WRMI426
Service Branch
U.S. Army
Thanks everyone for accommodating our attempt to make it! Hopefully the weather holds for us here in the high country and we can make it down to this! We've talked a lot about being able to drop the trailer for more technical runs in general, so this might be a good time to try the concept. I doubt we'd be able to make Friday night; "work" is in fact a 4-letter word...

We've done Texas creek OHV area exactly once, so by no means an expert. There may be some camping up higher (come to think of it, I think there's a couple of meadow-type areas) but I wouldn't recommend anything close to the beginning of the trails - too close to the highway and a TON of activity with vehicles coming and going and lots of side-by-sides loading and unloading.

Reactions: trail_runn4r

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
This will be a repeat of info to some of you. Apologies.

This event has more interest than I expected. Most of you know that I find it nearly impossible to turn anyone away. I think the best way to accommodate a larger group while staying true to the original plan is just to run it in reverse. I won't go into the logistics, but it just works better that way. One key factor is that snow/ice could be a show stopper on the climb out of Colorado Springs. Last year there were significant incidents just a couple hours before we got there. By saving that until the end we can still have a good weekend and choose alternate routes back home should that one not be safe. For those coming from the Springs or north, your drive around will come at the beginning of the trip instead of the end. Accordingly, our Saturday start will be adjusted about an hour later to accommodate. I will advise when the Rally Point details are updated. Please let me know if this gives anyone any heartburn.

Also, please let me know if you'd be interested in camping Friday night also. I will probably go early to make sure to have the campsite available for the Saturday AM arrivals.

Thanks for being flexible. Start accumulating firewood!

Reactions: JDGreens and Zappe

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Just seen you was planning a winter trip. This what we hafve been jonesen for. We will more than likely be up for Friday camping.
oh, meetup Friday afternoon? I could be down for that!
We'll work out both Friday and Saturday meetup details as we get closer. I'll probably take a run up there soon to check out the group campsite I have in mind.