Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

With winter tires the trick is not spinning out. All those tiny sipes on winter tires pack with snow which sticks to the ground like a smowball. If you spinout, ie wheel speed, you stop moving forward.

IMG_2118.jpg

It doesn't matter how deep the snow is. If you can keep from spinning out you keep moving. I can't count the times I've drven around guys stuck with big MTs in the winter.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
...It doesn't matter how deep the snow is. If you can keep from spinning out you keep moving. I can't count the times I've drven around guys stuck with big MTs in the winter.
I thought propper trail etiquette was to stop and help those in need, not just drive on by.

Reactions: Haust and grubworm

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
With winter tires the trick is not spinning out. All those tiny sipes on winter tires pack with snow which sticks to the ground like a smowball. If you spinout, ie wheel speed, you stop moving forward.

View attachment 129122

It doesn't matter how deep the snow is. If you can keep from spinning out you keep moving. I can't count the times I've drven around guys stuck with big MTs in the winter.
With winter tires I agree, but with a traditional higher void tire keeping the tread clear with small amounts of wheel spin is the thing to do. Most of road tires rely on the lugs displacing loose material to move the vehicle toward. A low void or winter tread, not so much.

Reactions: Haust

4L_Warrior

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

East Bay Ca.
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Galvan
Member #

Sounds your doing a lot of pre-planning and asking good questions. Planning is one of your best things to do to keep you safe and make it to your destination.

You didn't mention a couple if items that you might already have...
A good ham radio and amber fog lights. 30 miles in the winter means driving in the dark or worse, snow. White lites just reflect it back at you.

Enjoy your trip, and let us know how it goes!!

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Who said I didn't stop ?
Sorry Bill, it was more of just a quesion in general wraher than poining fingures. Your coment just reminds me of how lots of "kids" these days don't and wont help stranded people up in the boonies. I see how that came a crossed wrong as I reread my qote. Again im sorry

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Sorry Bill, it was more of just a quesion in general wraher than poining fingures. Your coment just reminds me of how lots of "kids" these days don't and wont help stranded people up in the boonies. I see how that came a crossed wrong as I reread my qote. Again im sorry
Lots of those people stranded in the boonies are crazies who I'd likely not stop for too. I was in high school when I stopped for a car in the dirch and in the corner of my eye I saw the guy had a hunting knife. I was gone so fast. Another time I stopped for a guy stuck in the median on the highway and was ready to pull him out when I realized he was drunk. I put my truck in 2WD, spun the tires a bit. Packed up saying I was sorry I could not haul him out. And went on my way.

Being critical of those who don't stop is misguided. Be critical of the person who needs driving lessons. On the highway during a winter storm the most dangerous thing you can do is stop.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Lots of those people stranded in the boonies are crazies who I'd likely not stop for too. I was in high school when I stopped for a car in the dirch and in the corner of my eye I saw the guy had a hunting knife. I was gone so fast. Another time I stopped for a guy stuck in the median on the highway and was ready to pull him out when I realized he was drunk. I put my truck in 2WD, spun the tires a bit. Packed up saying I was sorry I could not haul him out. And went on my way.

Being critical of those who don't stop is misguided. Be critical of the person who needs driving lessons. On the highway during a winter storm the most dangerous thing you can do is stop.
No im talking about people like this family of 4 a couple years a go that went up to the mountains to find a sledding hill. The snow had come down pretty hard the night before, and they were braking trail the last mile to the sledding area. The dad realized his car wasnt up to the challenge and tried to turn around at the most convenient spot in the road.
As he was backing up to finish the 3 point turn, his back tires sunk into the bar ditch that he couldnt see in the snow making him high centered. Where they were stuck at had no cell service. But was a busy FS road right after fresh snow. 3 different groups of 16-24 year olds drove right on by waving at the family that was obviously in distress.
I happened to be heading up to recover a buddy who blew his engine up higher a few days earlier when I saw the family. I pulled them out with my winch, only to pull myself into a snowbank on the opposite side of the road. As I was chaining up my front axles, one of the groups came back by. The back end of my truck. Was blocking the road, so they just rammed me off the road flipping me the bird and laughing as they drovve on by.
Once I finished putting my chains on I was able to drive out without a problem fallowing the family back down incase they had any more problems.
BTW I live in a small community and I either knew all the kids or I knew their parents, or both. Most of those kids I went to all 13 years of school with. So ya they had lots of 'splainin' to do to their parents.

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
No im talking about people like this family of 4 a couple years a go that went up to the mountains to find a sledding hill. The snow had come down pretty hard the night before, and they were braking trail the last mile to the sledding area. The dad realized his car wasnt up to the challenge and tried to turn around at the most convenient spot in the road.
As he was backing up to finish the 3 point turn, his back tires sunk into the bar ditch that he couldnt see in the snow making him high centered. Where they were stuck at had no cell service. But was a busy FS road right after fresh snow. 3 different groups of 16-24 year olds drove right on by waving at the family that was obviously in distress.
I happened to be heading up to recover a buddy who blew his engine up higher a few days earlier when I saw the family. I pulled them out with my winch, only to pull myself into a snowbank on the opposite side of the road. As I was chaining up my front axles, one of the groups came back by. The back end of my truck. Was blocking the road, so they just rammed me off the road flipping me the bird and laughing as they drovve on by.
Once I finished putting my chains on I was able to drive out without a problem fallowing the family back down incase they had any more problems.
BTW I live in a small community and I either knew all the kids or I knew their parents, or both. Most of those kids I went to all 13 years of school with. So ya they had lots of 'splainin' to do to their parents.
It says a lot, does it not, about so many young adults in this day and age. What you describe is really bad behavior, and this,.....not from a bunch of city kids, but from those in a small rural community. To make it even worse.....I either knew all the kids or I knew their parents, or both. Most of those kids I went to all 13 years of school with."

The kicker is the part about RAMMING YOUR VEHICLE OFF THE ROAD. By doing that, they could not say they did not realize your party was in trouble, as it was deliberate. So lets see,...........failure to render aid, deliberately causing a accident, leaving the scene of a accident, yeah...entitled kids? You didn't mention the Sheriffs dept. getting involved, but me after all that, telling the parents would be the least of their worries.

As to the post about being wary when on the road, that too, i can relate to. Growing up, my parents stopped and helped a few people on the road (Boondocks). But when they did, a pistol was within easy reach, in case anything went sideways. So I can't condemn those that pass on helping another. It depends on the circumstances, and you have to make a judgement call.

Remember all, there is a thread on OB about those deaths in upper BC Canada, that has not been fully resolved yet. What circumstances the victims found themselves in, is still to be determined.

Reactions: Wallygator

Mike331

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Diamond Springs Ca
First Name
Mike
Last Name
P
Member #

To the OP. The main type of 4 wheeling I enjoy is playing in the snow, been at it in Northern California for about 15 years, and the best tire I've ever run in the snow is the BFG A/T or something similar. I find that M/T's self clear too much, and with the snow type we get here that's a bad thing, typically the snow sticks to snow better than the rubber, so a partially snow packed tire has provided the best traction in the conditions here. And I'm talking deep snow drifts of 3 ft or more, and never once have I felt that I needed tire chains. And as far as what to bring, basic recovery gear is a must, and a decent shovel is also needed, if you can fit it a full length spade type is what I've found to be best for breaking the ice or hard pack and not breaking your back in the process. Make sure that if you do end up stranded and are going to stay over night inside your vehicle to clear the snow from underneath and also from the tail pipe area CO2 can be deadly if not given a safe path to escape. Have fun on your trip and take lots of pictures.

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA
I'm looking to do just a day overlanding trip down a dirt road that likely isn't plowed. Its about 30 miles. I have BFG KO2 tires and was probably gonna get chains.
What kind of chains are best?

I'm going to bring flashlights, shovels, blankets and a good amount of food is there anything else I should bring? I will have a few friends with me and hopefully another vehicle. I'm aware its not a good idea to be alone when adventuring but I will never be more than 15 miles from a main road. I'm kinda playing the trip by ear depending on weather conditions.
Sounds like a fun trip. I'd recommend bringing warm sleeping bags and also lots of water as well since melting snow is a pain. Personally I wouldn't feel safe driving 30 miles on snow covered dirt roads with only one rig. If you get stuck and can't extract yourself then that is a long walk in dangerous conditions, and many survival guides would recommend staying with your vehicle and not attempting to hike out.

If you do take just one truck be sure to let multiple people know exactly where you are going, when to expect you back, and who to contact (local police, rangers, etc) if you don't show up. It is much safer to go with at least on other vehicle so if one gets stuck or breaks down you have a way back to civilization and warmth.

Wanderer

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Carlsb CA
First Name
Ralph
Last Name
Jeffery
Member #

There is a YouTube channel on a guy who gets people unstuck. Up in Utah. There was a recent post towing out a Jeep wtrangler that a girl got stuck in in only about 10 inches of snow. Check it out. It is actually kinda informative in directly and entertaining when you see all these people stuck.

Reactions: Wallygator

Wallygator

Rank III

Contributor II

USA
There is a YouTube channel on a guy who gets people unstuck. Up in Utah. There was a recent post towing out a Jeep wtrangler that a girl got stuck in in only about 10 inches of snow. Check it out. It is actually kinda informative in directly and entertaining when you see all these people stuck.
Do you have a link? Or do we just search "YouTube channel on a guy who gets people unstuck. Up in Utah. Girl in a Jeep Wrangler in only about 10 inches of snow"?

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
Do you have a link? Or do we just search "YouTube channel on a guy who gets people unstuck. Up in Utah. Girl in a Jeep Wrangler in only about 10 inches of snow"?
I think it is this one. MATTS OFF-ROAD RECOVERY, Out of Hurricane UT. Is this the episode your thinking of?

Jeep Wrangler Willys stranded by broken winch at wildcat canyon.
•Dec 29, 2019

1577810289786.png
Very entertaining, and his channel has grown very fast, both here and internationally. That red clay mud, the area is known for, traps a lot of drivers when it gets wet.

Wanderer

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Carlsb CA
First Name
Ralph
Last Name
Jeffery
Member #

I am amazed at the amount of stupid stupid things that people do I get them selves stuck like an F1 50 towing a big trailer F1 50s not even four-wheel-drive and it has street tires I need to going to drive through snow and mud ? I see people on that channel doing stuff that makes me wonder how they survived this long it is very entertaining

Reactions: Desert Runner

Abreu93

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Berwick, PA, USA
First Name
Erickson
Last Name
Abreu
Great vehicle for the trip. Chains are a good idea, KO2s are not real winter tires.

Philosophy, I would drive in 2WD till I got stuck, then shift into 4WD to back out and return home.
With chains, I'd drive in 4WD till I got stuck, then mount the chains to back out and return home.
If you get stuck in 4LO, all locked, chained up..... you'll need skis or snow shoes.

The best option is to have a second vehicle with a winch following.

Another good travel tip, keep the vehicle cool, maybe keep a window cracked, wear ALL that winter gear, be ready and warm before you get stuck.
Thats pretty darn good.

Reactions: Desert Runner