lgifford156

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Westminster, MA, USA
First Name
Lisa
Last Name
Gifford
I'm looking to do just a day overlanding trip down a dirt road that likely isn't plowed. Its about 30 miles. I have BFG KO2 tires and was probably gonna get chains.
What kind of chains are best?

I'm going to bring flashlights, shovels, blankets and a good amount of food is there anything else I should bring? I will have a few friends with me and hopefully another vehicle. I'm aware its not a good idea to be alone when adventuring but I will never be more than 15 miles from a main road. I'm kinda playing the trip by ear depending on weather conditions.

lgifford156

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Westminster, MA, USA
First Name
Lisa
Last Name
Gifford
2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. The tires are 31". I'm not looking to go through any deep snow for my first time out in the snow. If its over 10 inches I'm probably gonna save the trip for another day or when I have a friend that can go with me. I'm assuming itll be pretty heavy slushy snow as it will be well above freezing. If my friend is able to go they have a subaru outback lifted but still less clearance than my stock jeep. I would say my abilities for off roading still need more work but are surpassed novice. Winter driving I have a pretty good track record though.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Great vehicle for the trip. Chains are a good idea, KO2s are not real winter tires.

Philosophy, I would drive in 2WD till I got stuck, then shift into 4WD to back out and return home.
With chains, I'd drive in 4WD till I got stuck, then mount the chains to back out and return home.
If you get stuck in 4LO, all locked, chained up..... you'll need skis or snow shoes.

The best option is to have a second vehicle with a winch following.

Another good travel tip, keep the vehicle cool, maybe keep a window cracked, wear ALL that winter gear, be ready and warm before you get stuck.

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

10” of snow with chains shouldn’t be a problem, personally I hate chains but for slushy wet snow they do get the job done .
Ko2 work well aired down I go down to 10-12 in deep snow but I can put a tire back on a bead on the trail .

Reactions: Haust

Baltazar

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Nashua, NH, USA
First Name
Ramiro
Last Name
Villa
Member #

I'm looking to do just a day overlanding trip down a dirt road that likely isn't plowed. Its about 30 miles. I have BFG KO2 tires and was probably gonna get chains.
What kind of chains are best?

I'm going to bring flashlights, shovels, blankets and a good amount of food is there anything else I should bring? I will have a few friends with me and hopefully another vehicle. I'm aware its not a good idea to be alone when adventuring but I will never be more than 15 miles from a main road. I'm kinda playing the trip by ear depending on weather conditions.
Hello I’m new in the community is anybody join overlanders?

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

For what its worth I have run my KO2's in every kind of snow/ice you can think of in CO, NM and TX. Aired down to the 12-14psi range and I have never had an issue. Is it "rated" as a perfect snow tire? No, but if you are like most of the folks in the US, snow tires are a waste of money unless you live in an area that sees snow and ice for more than 3 months out of the year.

As for winter advice, if you think you need it, and theres a chance you can get stuck, bring it.

One of the greatest parts of overlanding for me is getting to be by myself. I go out by myself often. Its my escape from kids, dogs, my laptop and people in general. I love my few days alone in the middle of no where. But, I go prepared. Water, food, fire making abilities, recovery gear, change of clothing, extra boots, whiskey and at minimum, a shotgun. Not that booze and guns mix, but one is for comfort, the other is for ease of mind.

Wilbah

Rank I

Contributor III

Massachusetts, USA
First Name
Will
Last Name
M
V-Bars are highly recommended by folks who need them a lot. But that is often for driving on roads regularly ice covered etc. For occasional use it might be overkill.

I dont know if some of the ones that only go on part of the tire might be more appropriate for what your discussing (they seem to be designed to use when you get stuck as opposed to chains which may be used before getting stuck.) .

Have fun. Nothing like driving down an unplowed road after a new snowfall. It's beautiful. And if you get stuck, dont get mad, just view it as part of the learning curve and have fun. It's all part of being there and doing it.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
V-Bars are highly recommended by folks who need them a lot. But that is often for driving on roads regularly ice covered etc. For occasional use it might be overkill.
I reccomend V-Bar chains to any one who has never run chains before and is trying to explore unmaintained (fresh snow) for the first time. I learned how to drive in snow with a 1985 Bronco II pushing 6' of snow with my front bumper. My first time out, I was very discouraged using "onroad chains", I looked at the chains that the local loggers were using on thier trucks while in the mountains and bought 2 sets of V-Bars. Next time we had fresh powder, I pushed that 6' of white mess without a problem, jumping through drifts, and burrowing over stumps like it was nothing.

Just an fyi, take your chains off before you hit the hardball (bare pavement).
Toward the end of that winter (97-98) the snow was still coming down hard in the higher elevations, but raining down under the pine tree line. I had a friend who lived in a small 1 room log cabin at the end of the county road and the start of a major FS road. His driveway made a perfect spot to chain up a rig because it was right at the end of pavement and the beginning of the gravel road, and because the snowline hung uphill from his cabin about 20 yards.
Any way on this last fateful trip, I stopped and chained uo as usuall, his wife came out and told me not to be uo there too long because she didn't want to have to go out in the snow and rain to find us. Me and the rest of the "boys" cralled into my Bronco II to spend the afternoon playing in the snow.
After several uneventful hours we turned around and headed home.
The day had been a few degrees warmer on this day than the few days before, and the snow had crept up the side of the mountain a mile or two. All that remained was a stream of molten snow running down the gravel road towards my friends house. In this late afternoon hour, the snow-river froze back over making the gravel beneath hard like asphalt.
I pulled into my buddy's drive, and we all piled into his cabin for hot chocolate and to tell him and his missus about our adventures for the day. We sat around bsing for several hours, the sun went down, and it was getting close to dinner time. So, like the good boys we were, we headed out to unchain the Bronco II.
We got the chains all unhooked so I started her up put her in reverse to get off my chains. But as hard as I tried, all the little Bronco would do is groan. I checked the parking brake, it was free, so I put the girl in 4 low and tried to inch forward. Still nothing but groans from the Old Bronco. I decided to tey backing up agqin, but this time when she started to protest I just gave her more throttle.Just as my right foot pushed the skinny pedal to the floor, there was a loud "SNAP!!!", and the bronco went flying backwards into a ditch as if shot from a slingshot. I put the 5 speed I to 1st gear, (transfercase was still in low range) and tried to drive out of said ditch. All I got was the back wheels to spin frantically while searching for traction. All the while the front tires didnt even budge. I pushed the transfer case up into 4H, with out any change.
Finally my buddy steps outside and tells me he think I broke a front axle. "No", I explained in disbelief. My buddy got into his souped up 69 Ford F250 and pulled me out of the ditch. Then we jacked up the bronco and sure enough the axle had snapped right where the shaft comes out of the lefthand side of the front TTB. We wired up the frunt shaft so it wouldn't fall out on my way down the mountain to my Dad's shop where I traded rigs and took my friends home.
The next day I started tearing down the axle. What I found I couldnt believe. Water inside my front differential. The only explaination we could thinkmof was that my breather hose had gotten water in it while we were out wheeling,
Any way the water inside the diff acted like a locker (becuase the water had froze while we sat inside my buddy's house for so long), and woukdn't let the left axle break free from the right axle
When I gave the rig gas, the front tires had too much traction and were also kind of frozen in the ground. This caused the axle to snap.
Had I unchained when the extra traction wasn't needed and shifted out of 4 wheel drive, I may have never learned how to rebuild a differential.... or at least before my actual mechanic carreerr took off.

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
Honestly 10" of snow on top of a road shouldnt give you much of a problem. The biggest thing to keep in mind is in fresh snow you need to find the point where you have enough wheel speed to keep your tire treads clear, but not so much that you dig too far and get stuck. Fresh deep snow requires a lot of finesse.
I would just take what for me is my normal kit, air compressor (for airing back up after airing down), straps and such for pulling/ being pulled out, traction boards, highlift, shovel and axe (I actually carry a pulaski as it combines both tools).
For tire chains, I would get V bars. They tend to be built a littler heavier and can take more abuse from what I have seen, also having the ice breakers will help a ton (I have even used mine in deep mud and they worked well there too). Also make sure you have a few spare rubber bungies for keeping them tight. Keeping the chains tight will be necessary to avoid tire and fender damage when you spin your wheels, which will happen in deeper snow. And I say keep extras on hand because I have had them break on me while in use.
Edit: just remembered you mentioned slush and melting snow. That can be very unpredictable. I think that slushy/ melting snow can be harder to get through than fresh snow. If it were me I would just chain up as I dropped off the maintained road into the deep snow/ slush. The key to being successful with chains in my mind is to get them put on before you need them, and do so when and where its still easy to get them on.

Last edited: