Launch Member

Explorer I

Maiden North Carolina
First Name
John
Last Name
Bellesfield
Member #

Looking for recommendations for winter tents. Like to have option for stove being inside. Have looked at a few Alaskan Hunting Tents but also need other options..

Madbodhi

Rank IV
Launch Member

Influencer II

Mayville WI
Member #

I'm planning on upgrading our tent for 4 season weather myself. My plan is a Sibley Bell tent since we're big fans of lots of walk around room and quick set up. I had planned on a woodburner but have been looking at the Webasto diesel fired heaters lately. Chicom knockoffs on Ebay for 2-300. The unit can be outside the tent and the combustion chamber is sealed from the hot air output. For late winter camping where there's heavy snow covering everything or camping above the timberline it may be just the thing.

BlackSheepExpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Explorer I

Maiden North Carolina
First Name
John
Last Name
Bellesfield
Member #

I'm planning on upgrading our tent for 4 season weather myself. My plan is a Sibley Bell tent since we're big fans of lots of walk around room and quick set up. I had planned on a woodburner but have been looking at the Webasto diesel fired heaters lately. Chicom knockoffs on Ebay for 2-300. The unit can be outside the tent and the combustion chamber is sealed from the hot air output. For late winter camping where there's heavy snow covering everything or camping above the timberline it may be just the thing.

Great Information Thanks

TLK

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Canton, GA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Kekel
Member #

Service Branch
US Coast Guard
Look at the Kodiak Flex-Bow tent they come in different sizes fast set up , it is a canvas tent and you can put a wood stove in it with a little bit of modifications. Great tent

Fozzy325

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Calgary, AB, Canada
Member #

Ok, I’m bumping this thread.

I would like to find a tent with the following:
1. Easy erect for 1 person
2. Stove hole with protective shroud around hole
3. Protective ground covering.
4. 4 man size

Every tent I’m finding is either
1. A mountain tent
2. A Costco cost effective tent
3. a tent that needs 2 or more people to set up or longer that 30 min to set up alone

Here is the Kit I have found so far.
Stove = G-Stove - https://www.gstove.com/
Tent =
Ground Mat =

Last edited:
Reactions: MazeVX

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

4. 4 man size

1. A mountain tent
3. a tent that needs 2 or more people to set up or longer that 30 min to set up alone
https://www.outdoorfair.de/p-en-35-tentipi-onyx-5-cp.aspx

Look at this one

Reactions: Fozzy325

Vincent Keith

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Poulsbo, Washington, United States
First Name
Vince
Last Name
Binder
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Kg7cli
Not cheap options - but your requirements are not easy to meet.

I own a Kifaru Sawtooth - (does not meet your needs) and the quality is excellent. The larger Tipi's get great reviews - Kifaru Tipi tents - http://kifaru.net

Now and then I get the notion that I'd like to go camp some place for a few weeks... or months ( then I think about everything that goes with that and I change my mind, but the idea never goes away)
Still, it doesn't stop me from dreaming - generally that means one of the following

One that's been high on my list of "I want it" tents is the Safir-7 with and Eldfell stove
Tentipi Safir - http://tentipi.com/en-gb/safir-9-bp

(might not meet the 30min setup time - you'd have to ask)
I don't have any experience with Snowtreker tents but my understanding is that you can set them up solo - check http://Snowtrekertents.com I've been considering the Basecamp. I'd probably use a Four Dog titanium stove http://fourdog.com

Anyway, when I daydream about long term tent camping - those are the ones I think about.

Fozzy325

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Calgary, AB, Canada
Member #

I spent about 6 hrs today researching. I like Vincent’s kifaru tent. I also found the oztent RX4 and RX5 to be great as you can get the base up in 2 min

stevejku

Rank 0
Launch Member

Traveler I

Runwell, Essex, United Kingdom
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Fagioli
Member #

I have a Robens Klondike ( http://www.robens.de/en/Products/tents/outback/klondike ) Great tent I can put it up on my own in around 15 minutes, stands up to strong winds very well. One feature I like is the split ground sheet, as when you put the stove in you can open the ground sheet up so no worries about burning holes in things. Also you can zip out the whole ground sheet if required.

Vincent Keith

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Poulsbo, Washington, United States
First Name
Vince
Last Name
Binder
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Kg7cli
I have a Robens Klondike ( http://www.robens.de/en/Products/tents/outback/klondike ) Great tent I can put it up on my own in around 15 minutes, stands up to strong winds very well. One feature I like is the split ground sheet, as when you put the stove in you can open the ground sheet up so no worries about burning holes in things. Also you can zip out the whole ground sheet if required.
Nice - how mold resistant has it been? One of my concerns with canvas tents has been packing up on a rainy day - and maybe not getting setup to dry out for 1-3 days 1-2 if I'm moving locations, 3 would be a normal max for packing up and going home (usually a lot less).

Not sure how we get one here in the U.S., there are no dealers in North America listed on the Roben's site. - it was kind of fun watching the map zoom out further and further until you saw all of North America and one tiny flag - in Japan :) - Europe seems to be covered with Roben's dealers.

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
Not likely to meet the requirements requested above (setup works best with 3 people, no hole for a stove), but a ground tent for snow that may deserve consideration from someone else is the USMC Extreme Cold Weather Tent (ECWT). Ebay prices on these things are crazy stupid, but if you live near a USMC base and pay attention to C/L and yard sales these can be found at reasonable prices. I got mine for under $300, and it is made by North Face. I have been very happy with its performance in inclement weather.

Fozzy325

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Calgary, AB, Canada
Member #

Not likely to meet the requirements requested above (setup works best with 3 people, no hole for a stove), but a ground tent for snow that may deserve consideration from someone else is the USMC Extreme Cold Weather Tent (ECWT). Ebay prices on these things are crazy stupid, but if you live near a USMC base and pay attention to C/L and yard sales these can be found at reasonable prices. I got mine for under $300, and it is made by North Face. I have been very happy with its performance in inclement weather.

That is a nice tent. I was using a VANGO BANSHEE PRO 300
For years on the motorcycle.
Now I have a better half she wants a bit more room and a bit more sleeping comfort than a thin rollmat.

I do like it and might get one for short weekends
025EA615-FD49-4D3A-B1DD-480DBB5A05E3-6112-000005F91429D236.jpeg

Fozzy325

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Calgary, AB, Canada
Member #

I’m off to Europe this year so may have have a look

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
That is a nice tent. I was using a VANGO BANSHEE PRO 300
For years on the motorcycle.
Now I have a better half she wants a bit more room and a bit more sleeping comfort than a thin rollmat.

I do like it and might get one for short weekends
View attachment 77287
The interior room would be good for two people, but practice setup before you need it. My strategy is to send the smallest Varmint into the tent to lift up the center with all the poles so that myself and one other Varmint can insert the ends of the poles into the grommets. But that is a three person operation. To do it as a two person operation you will need to figure out if you can lift the weight off the poles with one hand while you try to fit the ends into place with the other hand. I managed to bend a pole when I tried to use the poles to lift the tent while fitting them into the grommets.

There is probably a way to do it with two people, but since I have a surplus of helpers I haven't been forced to figure it out.

L

Lyn Kolf

4. 4 man size

1. A mountain tent

Here is the Kit I have found so far.
Stove = G-Stove - https://www.gstove.com/
Tent =
Ground Mat =
ttc. You may want to check out Kodiac tents ( may have spelt Kodiac wrong). Some sizes have protected hole for wood stove. Able to set up alone. I don't have one yet but looks like extremely well made strong canvas tent. I'm getting one when I have dollars available. Worth the price.

stevejku

Rank 0
Launch Member

Traveler I

Runwell, Essex, United Kingdom
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Fagioli
Member #

Nice - how mold resistant has it been? One of my concerns with canvas tents has been packing up on a rainy day - and maybe not getting setup to dry out for 1-3 days 1-2 if I'm moving locations, 3 would be a normal max for packing up and going home (usually a lot less).

Not sure how we get one here in the U.S., there are no dealers in North America listed on the Roben's site. - it was kind of fun watching the map zoom out further and further until you saw all of North America and one tiny flag - in Japan :) - Europe seems to be covered with Roben's dealers.
Hi Keith
I have left it wet for a couple of days with no problems, it not a true canvas as it is a mix of 65% cotton / 35% polyester. I know what you mean about the old canvas tents, was in the Scouts many years ago, you never forget that smell!

Attachments

Reactions: Vincent Keith