Windshield Pics... | OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY

Windshield Pics...

• Hi Guest, you may choose a LIGHT or DARK theme that works best for you with the "Style Chooser" button at the bottom left on this page!
  • HTML tutorial

GLOCKer

Rank IV

Pathfinder II

Marietta, Georgia, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Battersby
================================================================================================
Is this a abandoned train tunnel?...........................Where is this?...................Do you know any background history on it.

I love old RR Historical dialogue. The amount of graffiti leaves me to think it is in a urban setting. Cool that you can drive thru it in a vehicle.
It's called Nemo Tunnel and is located in TN - and it was a really cool trail ride! This is what I found when I looked into the history of the tunnel:
Tunnel 24 was bored in 1878, and carried the CNO&TP/CS through the mountain at Nemo, Tennessee. A small depot was located south of the south portal. Beside the depot, was a switch to the Morgan & Fentress Railroad. On top of the portal once stood two homes. There was also a height brush about 1000ft from the portal, to warn any brakemen on top of the cars (a 1800's practice) that there was a low clearance approaching. Today, all of the above listed are gone. The homes, depot, and M&F Railroad are all gone. M&F's tracks were pulled after a 1949 flood destroyed their bridge over the Emory River. In 1963 CNO&TP successor and lease holder Southern Railway began moving forward with plans to eliminate, bypass or raise the remaining 10+ tunnels on the CNO&TP. Due to increasing rail car height, the 15X20 measurements were not generous enough and posed restrictions on shipments on this vital rail corridor. Plans were drawn up to bypass 24, and Nemo sister tunnels 23 and 22 with two new tunnels. The alignment of such may be viewed on the Google Map. The new tunnels are 20X30, much larger than the old tunnels. Today, the tunnel sits empty beside the new 24, which Southern Railway successor and lease holder Norfolk Southern uses daily. It is almost completely intact, with minor damage being a collapsed, but cleared, north portal. The interior sees minor water buildup on the south end, however dries out half way through. For years off roaders have enjoyed the tunnel, and it is quite neat to explore if you're a history buff. The current owner of the tunnel is not known, as Norfolk Southern has the current tracks well over 700 feet from this tunnel, however some are not sure if it was possible for Southern to get rid of a tunnel the City owns.
Interestingly, the "City" referenced in the quote is Cincinnati. They are believed to possibly still own the tunnel as they actually owned the Cincinnati Southern Railroad and the tunnel. Running roughly parallel to the old Nemo Tunnel (Tunnel 24) is "New Tunnel 24" and it's still active. It is actually located a little out in the middle of nowhere but is a popular trail destination. I didn't mind the graffiti in the tunnel, but the amount outside of it, and on the adjacent bluff, was very disappointing.

Shoot me a PM if you want the coordinates. I'd say it's actually worth the trip to the area as there is a large off-road park nearby (WINDROCK PARK - The South's Premier Off-Road Adventure Park) and plenty of trails and camping. I wish I could have spent more time in the area - we drove up from the Atlanta area (about 3.5 hours each way) and spent a couple of hours exploring. I would have loved to have camped under the bluff over the Emory River.

2021-10-18 12.34.15.jpg
2021-10-18 12.05.55.jpg
2021-10-18 12.18.52.jpg
2021-10-18 14.13.22.jpg
2021-10-18 14.18.34.jpg

Last edited:

GLOCKer

Rank IV

Pathfinder II

Marietta, Georgia, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Battersby
Wow tunnels looking kinda shallow. Hope ya walked the bridge down by the river. It’s gorgeous over there.
I missed the bridge. :( We wanted to get back home to our respective wives to surprise them for dinner! HAHAHA

There were parts of the tunnel that were surprisingly deep. There was a Jeep Gladiator that came through after us that actually broke his suspension in there.

Reactions: bryceCtravels

jg45

Rank IV

Traveler III

Bartlett, TN
First Name
John
Last Name
Gilmer
Member #

Wow tunnels looking kinda shallow. Hope ya walked the bridge down by the river. It’s gorgeous over there.
I missed the bridge. :( We wanted to get back home to our respective wives to surprise them for dinner! HAHAHA

There were parts of the tunnel that were surprisingly deep. There was a Jeep Gladiator that came through after us that actually broke his suspension in there.
I drove that tunnel two weeks ago. Water was no more than 12-18 inches deep then. I am surprised someone broke something in there. It wasn't very technical or extremely rough. The trail back up and out, if you don't turnaround and go back through, looked pretty rough though.

Reactions: bryceCtravels

GLOCKer

Rank IV

Pathfinder II

Marietta, Georgia, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Battersby
I drove that tunnel two weeks ago. Water was no more than 12-18 inches deep then. I am surprised someone broke something in there. It wasn't very technical or extremely rough. The trail back up and out, if you don't turnaround and go back through, looked pretty rough though.
There were times I was submerged above my hubs, but I wouldn't characterize it as a rough trail. The Gladiator had an aftermarket lift on it and broke a heim joint. With our tools, he was able to get it apart and knock it together, and then put everything back.

That trail out that goes under the bluff had some rough spots between the road and the bluff (a decent ledge we had to mount) and again between the bluff and the tunnel (I scraped something on the way back down to make a right to get back to the tunnel). We ran the trail under the bluff after going through the tunnel and then turning around to head back. We crossed over the main road and hit the bluff trail and decided not to mess with coming down off the ledge to get back out, so we went through the tunnel a third time!
8.jpg

bryceCtravels

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Charleston, SC, USA
First Name
Bryce
Last Name
Campbell
There were times I was submerged above my hubs, but I wouldn't characterize it as a rough trail. The Gladiator had an aftermarket lift on it and broke a heim joint. With our tools, he was able to get it apart and knock it together, and then put everything back.

That trail out that goes under the bluff had some rough spots between the road and the bluff (a decent ledge we had to mount) and again between the bluff and the tunnel (I scraped something on the way back down to make a right to get back to the tunnel). We ran the trail under the bluff after going through the tunnel and then turning around to head back. We crossed over the main road and hit the bluff trail and decided not to mess with coming down off the ledge to get back out, so we went through the tunnel a third time!
View attachment 214172
Great pic! When I went, I wasn't really sure what I was doing. I went through, cruised around the other side, then came back out the way I went in. I'll have to check out this trail y'all are talking about.

Desert Runner

Rank VI

Member III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
Southern Jordan.
Before I read the caption, my first thought was Australia. Too bad the fed rounded up the camels in the Death Valley area in the early 1960's?, I believe. At least Australia saw the benefit of leaving them feral.

Todd32x

Rank V

Pathfinder III

York County, Pennsylvania, United States
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Beckley
Member #

Service Branch
US Marine Corps
Southern Jordan.
Here’s one from when I was in Djibouti. They were rough looking there.
Before I read the caption, my first thought was Australia. Too bad the fed rounded up the camels in the Death Valley area in the early 1960's?, I believe. At least Australia saw the benefit of leaving them feral.

Attachments

Reactions: Roots66