Selah, Washington
First Name
Clay
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
@Ceg I have to say you take great pictures from this perspective. Do you have a camera mounted at all times or is this all by hand?
Thanks. I have cameras at the ready and still miss some things like deer running out in front of my rig.. Most of these are from my Samsung Galaxy S9+ by hand. Sometimes it is from the mounted GoPro HERO9 Black. Some of the long distant scenery photos are taken with my Canon EOS Rebel T5i.

4Wheelexplorer

Rank V
Launch Member

Navigator I

Pasco, WA, USA
First Name
Bret
Last Name
Overbaugh
Member #

After a crazy work week it was time to search for fall color (again). Best colors (including the sunset) were found along Kendall-Skyline Rd between Dayton, WA and Tollgate, OR. The view of Icicle Creek near Leavenworth, WA was a close second for the weekend, but not nearly the color show.

Attachments

ZRex

Rank VII
Launch Member

Explorer I

Elizabethton, TN
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Klepp
Member #

This might be a little off topic, but Clay I think I have to go out on a limb here. I believe I remember you from an old forum that's since been taken down. I noticed your name and it stood out to me, you were a member on the Yakima Valley Truck Club, I believe? I hope you're doing well!

Ceg

Rank V

Advocate II

Selah, Washington
First Name
Clay
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
This might be a little off topic, but Clay I think I have to go out on a limb here. I believe I remember you from an old forum that's since been taken down. I noticed your name and it stood out to me, you were a member on the Yakima Valley Truck Club, I believe? I hope you're doing well!
Yes I was active on that forum and we shared a lot of the same members on my old Eastern Washington Off Road Forum. It is good to hear from someone from the past.

Reactions: Dusther210 and ZRex

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
================================================================================================
Is this a abandoned train tunnel?...........................Where is this?...................Do you know any background history on it.

I love old RR Historical dialogue. The amount of graffiti leaves me to think it is in a urban setting. Cool that you can drive thru it in a vehicle.

GLOCKer

Rank IV

Pathfinder II

Marietta, Georgia, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Battersby
================================================================================================
Is this a abandoned train tunnel?...........................Where is this?...................Do you know any background history on it.

I love old RR Historical dialogue. The amount of graffiti leaves me to think it is in a urban setting. Cool that you can drive thru it in a vehicle.
It's called Nemo Tunnel and is located in TN - and it was a really cool trail ride! This is what I found when I looked into the history of the tunnel:
Tunnel 24 was bored in 1878, and carried the CNO&TP/CS through the mountain at Nemo, Tennessee. A small depot was located south of the south portal. Beside the depot, was a switch to the Morgan & Fentress Railroad. On top of the portal once stood two homes. There was also a height brush about 1000ft from the portal, to warn any brakemen on top of the cars (a 1800's practice) that there was a low clearance approaching. Today, all of the above listed are gone. The homes, depot, and M&F Railroad are all gone. M&F's tracks were pulled after a 1949 flood destroyed their bridge over the Emory River. In 1963 CNO&TP successor and lease holder Southern Railway began moving forward with plans to eliminate, bypass or raise the remaining 10+ tunnels on the CNO&TP. Due to increasing rail car height, the 15X20 measurements were not generous enough and posed restrictions on shipments on this vital rail corridor. Plans were drawn up to bypass 24, and Nemo sister tunnels 23 and 22 with two new tunnels. The alignment of such may be viewed on the Google Map. The new tunnels are 20X30, much larger than the old tunnels. Today, the tunnel sits empty beside the new 24, which Southern Railway successor and lease holder Norfolk Southern uses daily. It is almost completely intact, with minor damage being a collapsed, but cleared, north portal. The interior sees minor water buildup on the south end, however dries out half way through. For years off roaders have enjoyed the tunnel, and it is quite neat to explore if you're a history buff. The current owner of the tunnel is not known, as Norfolk Southern has the current tracks well over 700 feet from this tunnel, however some are not sure if it was possible for Southern to get rid of a tunnel the City owns.
Interestingly, the "City" referenced in the quote is Cincinnati. They are believed to possibly still own the tunnel as they actually owned the Cincinnati Southern Railroad and the tunnel. Running roughly parallel to the old Nemo Tunnel (Tunnel 24) is "New Tunnel 24" and it's still active. It is actually located a little out in the middle of nowhere but is a popular trail destination. I didn't mind the graffiti in the tunnel, but the amount outside of it, and on the adjacent bluff, was very disappointing.

Shoot me a PM if you want the coordinates. I'd say it's actually worth the trip to the area as there is a large off-road park nearby (WINDROCK PARK - The South's Premier Off-Road Adventure Park) and plenty of trails and camping. I wish I could have spent more time in the area - we drove up from the Atlanta area (about 3.5 hours each way) and spent a couple of hours exploring. I would have loved to have camped under the bluff over the Emory River.

2021-10-18 12.34.15.jpg
2021-10-18 12.05.55.jpg
2021-10-18 12.18.52.jpg
2021-10-18 14.13.22.jpg
2021-10-18 14.18.34.jpg

Last edited: