Launch Member

Member II

Orange, Ma
First Name
William
Last Name
Domey
Member #

Looking to put a winch on my 2000 Jeep Cherokee. Is Warn still a good winch to get? Any suggestions on a model? Looking for one with a 9500 pull and Synthetic line.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
I have a Warn and a Come Up. Their both very good with the Come up having slightly more gear noise. Both of mine are 12k.

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I sport a Superwinch and use it quite a bit. They sold last year so I have no idea what they are now. I am posting so others might chime in about how the new ones are.

9Mike2

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Garden Grove, California
Member #

I have a 12000 Quadratec, haven't had any problems in 5 years.....by all means get the syn line, but be warned keep the line out of the sun to protect it....when not in use..

Cypress

Rank V

Off-Road Ranger I

Goose Creek, SC, USA
First Name
Allen
Last Name
Murray
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRJY639
X-Bull 13k synthetic rope on my Xj with zero issues in the last 2 years.
Badlands 9.5K steel rope on the Samurai. Zero issues in 8 years.

NMBruce

Rank V

Advocate II

Pagosa Springs, CO, USA
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Cooper
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0NBD
Service Branch
U.S. Air Force
I have a Warn Zeon 10s that I purchased back in 2015 and I keep moving from one vehicle to another. I have only used it 5 times and it hasn’t let me down

huachuca

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

tarboro nc
First Name
Al
Last Name
Killebrew
Member #

Heavily used Warn M8000 w/ wire on the TJ for twenty years. I replaced the solenoid controller pack due to corrosion once but no problems afterwards since I now keep it and the winch covered. Come Up Seal Gen2 9.5RS w/ synthetic on the Colorado which has been problem free in limited use. I really like the synthetic line and wireless remote on the Come Up and recommend those features regardless of which brand you go with.

Last edited:

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Looking to put a winch on my 2000 Jeep Cherokee. Is Warn still a good winch to get? Any suggestions on a model? Looking for one with a 9500 pull and Synthetic line.
M8000S is one of their best. 8K# but more than enough on a Jeep.

IMG_0597.jpeg

Dave Lay

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Russellville, Arkansas 72802, United States
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Lay
Member #

I fully agree on the m8000 , I’m a big warn fan, and still think the 8274 is the best winch out there, but it’s hard to mount on most newer vehicles, with that said I have a older superwinch 9.5 on my XJ and it’s been great, it’s quiet, pulls great and with good line speed. I didn’t know they had sold, so no idea what that’s gonna do. I have a warn vr10 on my 100 series cruiser and it’s not the winch the Zeon is or the superwinch for that matter. But the VR is a China produced winch and I believe the zeon is still made here. The VR is louder and I don’t feel it has the line speed the zeon does. If I was in the market , And had the funds, I’d buy a zeon in a heartbeat.

Reactions: 9Mike2

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

I can't remember the numbers but Warn does 3 things.
The M8000 is made in the USA,
The cheapest Warn is made in China.
And the one in the middle is manufactured in China, assmbled in the USA.
Not to say there is a difference in quality or performance or warranty or service life but 3 different lines for 3 different price points.

Me, I like the M8000 cuz it is old school.
At BC Overland in 2017, the Warn guy used my Jeep to show the differences between my old and his new Warn winch.

He never said one was better, they are just different.

DSC_0133.jpeg

Reactions: M Rose and 9Mike2

Apoclapedia

Rank IV

Advocate I

Moha, British Columbia, Canada
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Smith
Member #

I run a Warn 15k. Worked fine for me for years. When i build bumpers for my rigs i fab in reciever hitchs front and rear. And wire in weatherproof quick connects. That way i can store my winch in the tool box out of the weather. Then decide if i want to front mount it or rear mount it. Depending what im doing. Being able to pull yourself out backwards is a nice option sometimes. Especially nice as insurance for water crossings or really steap decents. Sometimes pulling yourself forward just makes the problem worse and its just easier to pull yourself back out and pick a new line.

Reactions: 9Mike2

bamakojon

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Hueytown, AL, USA
First Name
Jonny
Last Name
Cochrane
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5DGM
If you're looking to get a powerful winch and save some money, the Badlands Apex 12000 is reportedly very good. You can watch a very good, in-depth review by Muddy Beards 4x4 on YouTube by watching this video. I know I was impressed after watching it!

Reactions: Matt J and 9Mike2

Contributor II

East Tennessee
First Name
James
Last Name
vvvvv
I fully agree on the m8000 , I’m a big warn fan, and still think the 8274 is the best winch out there, but it’s hard to mount on most newer vehicles, with that said I have a older superwinch 9.5 on my XJ and it’s been great, it’s quiet, pulls great and with good line speed. I didn’t know they had sold, so no idea what that’s gonna do. I have a warn vr10 on my 100 series cruiser and it’s not the winch the Zeon is or the superwinch for that matter. But the VR is a China produced winch and I believe the zeon is still made here. The VR is louder and I don’t feel it has the line speed the zeon does. If I was in the market , And had the funds, I’d buy a zeon in a heartbeat.
I have a 2018 JK with a 8274 mounted on it. It looks ridiculous, but I like doing goony stuff like that! And having 150 feet of 8000 pound test is nice too. But it was quite an accomplishment to get it mounted. The only real down side is my engine will run kind of hot on a long up hill. So I just keep an eye on it and keep it under 3000 rpm when doing a long uphill.

Reactions: Dave Lay

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
Yes, there won't be 3000 lbs of gear. I really want the winch mostly for moving things off the trail in front of us, or just plucking us out of snow more than anything. We don't have alot of mud around here, unless you go looking for it. It's mainly un improved fire roads.