Launch Member

Advocate I

Shawnee, KS 66217, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Peterson
Member #

I have used only leather, but any natural product should work well. When working with rigging, friction, and motors beware of synthetics, hot spots, liquids and electrocution cause they can melt. Better cowhide than my hide.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Be careful with gloves. Many pros won't use them with winch cables. Many pros have lost fingers because of them. Mostly complacency. If you use gloves, use very form fitting nice mechanics gloves. Not the BS farmer dell winch kit gloves.

I avoid contact with the cable. Use the hook.

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
Be careful with gloves. Many pros won't use them with winch cables. Many pros have lost fingers because of them. Mostly complacency. If you use gloves, use very form fitting nice mechanics gloves. Not the BS farmer dell winch kit gloves.

I avoid contact with the cable. Use the hook.
Good to know. I had not heard of that problem. Using steel cable, ....for me.....everyone said......GLOVES......make sure you use GLOVES. Having the size winch that I do, steel cable is all I can use, as synthetic would limit how many feet you could practically use, being a thicker diameter. A winch with a very short line, would in most cases severely limit it's use in the real world. There is also a reason for safety considerations, by using a closed loop system, like the FACTOR 55 hook ors thimble. They offer bigger units able to manage a 17,000 lb winch unlike the SMITTYBILT, which is good for light and medium duty units.

The less contact with a cable, your absolutely right. Using only the hook is better. A good safety tip to all that read this. Ronnie Dahls winch video, should scare the hell out of users, and he was doing CONTROLLED demolition demonstrations on the dangers and physics involved. A REAL EYE OPENER!

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA
Are your concerns with wearing gloves while winching related to when the line is out and you are winching a vehicle, or when you are respooling it onto the drum? I think most manufacturers recommend wearing gloves anytime you are performing a recovery, especially with steel rope. But, when respooling the last few feet of line there is a risk your glove could get sucked into the winch, and in that case it is best to avoid contact with the cable and use the hook/shackle or better yet a rope through the hook.

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

I let the well worn leather like calloused skin of my hands be my gloves.
jk a good leather glove that’s just loose enough to get on and off easily and quickly

James.Laidlaw

US MidWest Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Maineville, OH, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Laidlaw
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC7LTK
I too use leather gloves when winching and actually keep two sets in my recovery bag. Though I hardly wear gloves for most things, I do for this as I’m running a steel cable and want to avoid all the steel cable burrs that occur over time. Point well taken from above on complacency and paying attention (with or without gloves) so you don’t use a finger or any other bodily damage. Also true - make sure they do fit. Ill-fitting gloves can cause other smaller injuries and blisters as well.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678