First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
What type?............What style?

Padded-New style Warn or ARB for example?
Generic-Mechanics brand?

Leather-Old style Warn or ARB, or Hi-Lyft?
generic brands?
generic style cloth/leather?

Cloth-thick cotton?
Fabric?

Also retention at the wrist: Elastic cuff, cinch style, or loose wrist style. Were the gloves you chose dictated by a particular feature, or was 'BRAND', a deciding factor. So many of us carefully decide what types and styles of gear we buy and will use, but how many just grab a pair laying around, and throw in the truck and call it good.

PS: These questions are directed at your primary pair choice. A second followup question would be---Who carry's a 2nd or 3rd set as backup/ spares?

Last edited:

Chadlyb

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bend, OR, USA
Member #

The Warn gloves stay in the bag as back ups and I use my go to gloves from Lowes. Calf skin generic with open top. They stay in my door next to the winch control for easy access and use. Great dexterity and protection. Easy on and off. Use them for everything.20190421_182759.jpg

systemdelete

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Nashville, TN
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Rumbaugh
Member #

I just leave an old set of fancy gloves that I didn’t love on the range in the door pocket. Leather and Nomex iirc made for handling hot suppressors and such. Work great for all things truck, from loading lumber, to hooking up snatch straps near hot exhausts when someone’s stuck in the mud.IMG_0002.jpg

Reactions: Roam_CO85

Roam_CO85

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Loveland, CO, USA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Barch
Member #

I use mechanic brand gloves... hate anything loose fitting so a large glove thats about worn out from the range goes into the rig.. winter gloves i am still in search for a good work winter glove

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA
I carry a couple pairs of gloves in the truck. For recovery (winching, rock stacking, etc) I have a set of inexpensive but well made leather gloves from Costco. I often use these around the camp fire since they are fire resistant. I also have a pair of CLC gloves and a pair of Gorilla Gloves for working on the truck, depending on what I'm doing. Oh, and I have a set of Warn leather gloves that I got for free that are my loaner gloves, but I don' t like them as much as the Costco ones.

For me brand doesn't matter. I prefer a full leather glove for recovery work since they offer more protection and abrasion/heat resistance than a synthetic or combo synthetic/leather glove. I like synthetic gloves for working on the truck since they provide more feeling when working with nuts and bolts.

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
Driving gloves, shooting gloves and work gloves, 2 or 3 styles. My winch and recovery straps are all synthetic and I use a light mechanics glove most of the time.

KonzaLander

Rank VI

Traveler II

Junction City, Kansas, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0EBF
Prefer a full leather glove with elastic cuff when handling wire winch rope, a velcro cuff is second in line. I refuse to use a cinch style work glove after I had difficulty escaping a situation when the extra strap got hung up on something. In addition to a full leather glove, I keep arborists and mechanic gloves in the vehicle.

Reactions: Desert Runner

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
Driving gloves, shooting gloves and work gloves, 2 or 3 styles. My winch and recovery straps are all synthetic and I use a light mechanics glove most of the time.
Since I originally posted this thread, I came across a great article on gloves on the EXPEDITION PORTAL web page. It discusses many styles and the pros & cons of each. A very informative piece with brands and models of such listed, along with country of origin. I encourage you to give it a look. [emoji2]

Reactions: Roam_CO85

Roam_CO85

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Loveland, CO, USA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Barch
Member #

I just leave an old set of fancy gloves that I didn’t love on the range in the door pocket. Leather and Nomex iirc made for handling hot suppressors and such. Work great for all things truck, from loading lumber, to hooking up snatch straps near hot exhausts when someone’s stuck in the mud.View attachment 94643
What gloves did you like over outdoor research tac gloves? Been seeing them alot lately

Last edited:

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
Do you like these outdoor research tac gloves? Been seeing them alot lately
I personally have multiple sets. A new style ARB recovery glove, a nice form fitting elastic cuff leather palm/ fabric back style, 2x loose cuff/loose fit leather gloves. 1 of them orange n black for chainsaw use. Another worn bomber pair of all leather, on their last legs.

I prefer fingers that are form fitting, but not tight. My leather/fabric give the most dexterity and are the most comfortable of all I own.

Those OR gloves are good, as they are mostly leather, and look very durable. FIT is the most important aspect, as, if they are uncomfortable, you will won't wear them when you should.
Then would Come the durability factor, and what they are going to be used for.

Last edited:

avgjoe624

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Fayetteville, NC, USA
Member #

I have switched to using mechanix brand gloves. They have alot of padding and a double padded palm. They are tough, comfortable, and so far have lasted longer than i can keep them around. I usually lose them before anything happens to them. they have elastic wrists with a velcro strap. and touchscreen fingers. Being in the military, i have over 20 pairs of gloves laying around the house ranging anywhere from tough leather work gloves, rappelling gloves, winter gloves, and tactical gloves. These are by far my favorite. 20190425_012642.jpg

Roam_CO85

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Loveland, CO, USA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Barch
Member #

I like the mechanix gloves too for shooting and just all around work. I dont like a loose fitting glove at all and you can get a pretty good fit with them. Saw a guy get his finger ripped off by getting a loose gloved finger somewhere that if shouldn’t of been. Pulled the finger and tendon along with it.. got to scene and finger was still in the glove.... same reason I dont a watch or a ring.. always looking for a good shooting glove. Mechanix gloves are good with a heated up rifle.

El Solis

Rank V
Investor

Traveler II

Livermore, CA, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6CQE
I use a glove from Ringers designed for Firefighters to get people out of cars. Kevlar palm and protection. Barriers against blood borne pathogens, waterproof, and reflective. They get warm in the summer but once broken in have great dexterity. I now have two pairs but my first pair has lasted 6-7 years with heavy use.

IMG_4709.jpg

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
I use a glove from Ringers designed for Firefighters to get people out of cars. Kevlar palm and protection. Barriers against blood borne pathogens, waterproof, and reflective. They get warm in the summer but once broken in have great dexterity. I now have two pairs but my first pair has lasted 6-7 years with heavy use.

View attachment 95041
When outlaying this type of money, I would want to ensure a proper and exact fit. Definitely not a throwaway acquisition. So I would want a trial fit.

That Expedition Portal article mentioned an American made glove...Elk Skin...that was in that price range. Said they were high quality...and would last,a lifetime.

Looked at the link, you provided, if working around those conditions, the price for a pair would be cheap.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
I usually carry three pairs. Ironclad are in my side pockets, I love these gloves and have worn them over the years for anything overlanding related. I carry a spare pair of lambskin gloves in my tool bag, that I use for wrenching without getting my hands dirty. For cooking, I keep a pair of generic canvas, with leather palm gloves, in yellow with the kitchen gear that I use exclusively instead of pot holders.

Reactions: KonzaLander

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
1565075074691.png1565075143147.png1565075335487.png1565075411836.png1565075200982.png

Notice 3 brands use a snug elastic cuff or wrist strap, while 2 use the old style open wrist style. I have both types, but prefer the elastic cuff design. The High-Lift gloves are pretty light weight, and are marginal at best with steady use. The ARB ones are their newest design and are well designed and comfortable. Bought them when I was looking for a upgrade over nursery/garden style designs.

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

I may be cheap, but I have so many good gloves, mostly leather, some Mechanix gloves and regular work gloves, I am not willing to spend extra money on a pair of gloves just because it has my winch "Brand" logo on it, or my jack brand, etc.
Good leather gloves of whatever style you like will work. They just need to have good solid leather where the wire rope will abrade and protect your hands. All hardware stores carry a multitude of styles and brands that will meet your needs without paying to have "BrandX" printed on them. If it is important to you, you can even find "Made in America" gloves, I doubt the winch brand ones are, most likely made in China.

12express

Rank III

Enthusiast III

American Samoa
First Name
Corn
Last Name
Pop
So I happen to carry loggers gloves.. I run a 10k warn with steel wire rope. I keep my cable in good shape, but ever been stabbed by a bur from a steel cable? It'll put a grown man down. It hurts bad!

So.. I like to use these on the recommendation of a semi popular YouTuber by the name of Essential Craftsman. The weave of the material in these gloves are puncture resistant. Very nice in my opinion.

whiteox.jpg

Oranger

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate I

Hastings, MN, USA
First Name
Dylan
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZAU
I have the orange ARB gloves as my primary, and the cheap leather ones that came with the strap kit as backup.