Wilson Cell Signal Mobile Amplifier Review

• HTML tutorial

Would OB membership be interested in a group buy?

• Total voters

Big110

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Portland, Maine
Member #

I thought it would be valuable to the community to write a review of this product I have been using for a while- and have had a number of years experience with. An invaluable addition to any rig, IMO.

For those of you who may not be familiar with cell amps- they are exactly what they sound like. These are devices that increase the receive AND transmit signal strength of a cell signal to help with connectivity. Though many may venture to the wilderness to disconnect, I feel like cell capabilities are important for safety, mapping and other things such as data and sms. Yes, these devices increase signal for voice, data, sms/test etc. Its not just limited to voice signal anymore. These devices also can amplify signals of multiple devices at the same time now....so your phone, a tablet with cell service or a few people in your vehicle.

I first started using Wilson Brand cell amps about 12 years ago. (Maine has one of the worst cell coverage maps in the nation, and this has been a necessity for me in all my vehicles that venture off the pavement).....Back then they were carrier specific and huge. Now, they have integrated everything in to a small package that can really be mounted anyplace. The system has four main components;

1. The amp box (about a 5" square aluminum box that houses all electronics)
2. External antenna
3. Internal antenna
4. Power supply (comes with 12v socket plug but hardwire kit is available or you can snip the lighter plug off like I have done)

Hook up/Install is pretty simple;

1. plug amp power in to 12v socket (or hardwire which I have done so it is "on" or active all the time)
2. run external mag mount antenna to roof or other suitable location (higher is better)
3. mount internal antenna in vehicle- the closer to the area you will be talking, the better (I have mounted on B pillar basically just above my head)
4. mount amp box. Since you do not need to access it (because once powered on the unit simply stays on all the time), it can be put in a small space under a seat or the dash.

Of course, you could add a switch to turn this on an off if you wanted but its unnecessary IMO.... the most effective way to use these devices is to simply have them running in the background all the time. Less dropped calls, ect even in areas with solid signals normally.

Another cool thing is that even though my Ipad doesn't have a cell card, I do have it connected to my phone via a hot spot....so indirectly, the amp is creating a better link to the ipad for maping data and access to my cloud music library!

Lastly, Wilson is a very reputable company which is why I purchased from them. They have been around in the antenna/amp industry forever, mainly in the long haul trucker industry. We have a few original units that are 10+ years old that are still going strong. Never had any issues with them

https://www.wilsonamplifiers.com/weboost-drive-4g-x-cell-phone-signal-booster-kit-470510/

Bisco Bum

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

TImmins Ontario
Member #

Installed mine 3 weeks ago. Love it. I got the trucker model because of the larger antenna and no need to be mounted on metal.

WUzombies

Rank V
Launch Member
Supporter

Advocate II

Central Texas
Member #

I've been running one for 2 years. Changing from the small magmount antenna to a larger mast antenna ("trucker antenna") made a big difference too!

While in motion it doesn't perform as well as being stationary (obviously), but it works really well.

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

Great looking item, but, the money. Dang.

I do miss the "bag phone" my Dad had in the early 90's. It had an external antenna cable jack and we would regularly zip tie the antenna to a sapling we cut down and I would stand on top of the truck holding it in the air to get a call out in the woods.

WUzombies

Rank V
Launch Member
Supporter

Advocate II

Central Texas
Member #

Great looking item, but, the money. Dang.

I do miss the "bag phone" my Dad had in the early 90's. It had an external antenna cable jack and we would regularly zip tie the antenna to a sapling we cut down and I would stand on top of the truck holding it in the air to get a call out in the woods.
Those also put out something like 4-watts of power with a better tuned antenna than our handhelds now, that put out something like 4-milliwatts of power. The frequency shift for cell service over the years makes a slight difference, but it dramatically increased the bandwidth for information. Point being, the Wilson/Weboost gear works, it's expensive, but not as expensive as not being able to call for help; however, don't rely only on that for commo. I highly recommend being a HAM radio operator, having a good mounted radio and practicing with it so you know how to use it properly, too.

Reactions: The other Sean

WUzombies

Rank V
Launch Member
Supporter

Advocate II

Central Texas
Member #

who can tell me who much of an increase in reception and data transfer speeds this gives ?
In my personal experience, with my specific installation and usage, when stationary I can typically get a couple of bars of 3G if I can sniff a bar of 1x. If I can get a bar of 3G I can usually get a couple of bars of 4G. I haven't conducted any data transfer speed comparison tests beyond what the typical bandwidth limitations for the different bands are.

Scarab

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Hastings - England
First Name
Alex
Last Name
Barrett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
M6ZZS
I had a cheap one of these a few years ago and had to get rid of it as it interfered with my cars inbuilt GPS.
I assume that's because it was a cheap and probably quite new product.

No problems of this nature with these? Do they work internationally?

Alex

WUzombies

Rank V
Launch Member
Supporter

Advocate II

Central Texas
Member #

I had a cheap one of these a few years ago and had to get rid of it as it interfered with my cars inbuilt GPS.
I assume that's because it was a cheap and probably quite new product.

No problems of this nature with these? Do they work internationally?

Alex

I haven't noticed any problems with the GPS and I really wouldn't expect there to be due to the different frequencies used between the two systems, it could have been problems with a cheapo version not transmitting properly. I have no idea about internationally, you would probably want to look up the frequencies supported and the ones used outside of NA.

Six Actual

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Benicia, CA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Wickett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AA6XM
I've been using one for about a year now. It holds my Verizon MiFi device. Overall, I'd say we are happy with it. Agree, it works better stationary vs. on the move. Takeaways that I have learned so far. Bars on your device are pretty inaccurate. Put your device in a mode that will show dB instead. When it comes to dB regarding signal strength, lower is better. Say 60 dB would be a signal with you standing on the same block as the cell tower. 98 db would be a horrible cell signal, dropping calls, if you could even connect. Data at that level would be anemic if at all. With the booster on, I have taken a 98 dB signal to mid 70's. That is a great improvement. Important to have the antenna mounted on a metal surface to soak up that reflected signal. I use a 5x5 sheet of steel with magnet antenna mounted in the middle. Works pretty well. I use the metal plate because I am in a Jeep with hard top.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I use a 5x5 sheet of steel with magnet antenna mounted in the middle. Works pretty well. I use the metal plate because I am in a Jeep with hard top.
Good info on the dB. I'm wondering, though, when attaching a steel plate to a fiberglass hardtop--which I may be doing soon to a pop top on a van--any advantage to then grounding that plate to the vehicle frame, both for performance and possibility of lightning, or for lightning even through to the ground via a dragger like a lot of older trucks used to do?

antangil

Rank 0
Launch Member

Traveler I

Huntsville, Alabama
Member #

Was looking at the weboost options, looks like the "trucker" antenna and the normal antenna are the same cost - any info on benefits of one over the other? Any issues with interference/FOV problems from having stuff on the roof?