Traveler III

Modesto, Stanislaus County, California, United States
First Name
Victor
Last Name
Costello
Service Branch
MARINE CORPS
They have been extended to prevent any water from getting into the diffs...the transmission one was already in the engine compartment but I just moved it so that its in the same spot as the others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
O ok. Makes sense. How many breather hoses are there??? And is the engine compartment the best area to reroute them to???

First State Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Delaware
Member #

I made up some removeable mud flap brackets for the rear...still have to do the front ones...worked out nicely and I'm sure it will make the other drivers happy that are behind me.

View attachment 4247

LOD sliders installed and the N-Fab ones are history....the LOD ones are so nice and heavy duty.

Also scored a brand new premium soft top for next to nothing on the local for sale ads!

View attachment 4248

View attachment 4250

Teraflex brackets installed for the JKS quick disconnects I'm running. Helps get them up and out of the way and keeps them secure.

View attachment 4249

ARB breather extension kit...works nicely but took a bit to get it installed. The line is really small diameter and doesn't place nice with the nipples on the diffs. Extended both front, rear and transmission breather lines.

View attachment 4251
Great build! Question on the breather kit. I have the same kit sitting in my garage and it's been waiting until after I had the lift and tires installed. You mention that it didn't quite fit nice and that concerns me as I was lead to believe that they are a perfect match. Did you take any extra steps to secure it or adapt it since it didn't fit right? Also did you do the transfer case too? As I understand it, us JK owners want to do four - front and rear diff, transfer case and transmission.

Thanks!

Reactions: BUGOUT_JK_USMC

harv3589

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Alberta, Canada
Member #

There are 4 breather lines in total. 2 from diffs, transfer case and transmission. I have only been able to find 3. The transfer case one is hiding somewhere.

The Willys is a sport with the rubicon suspension (coils and shocks) 3.73 gears, limited slip rear end, BF Goodrich mud tires and blacked out rubicon wheels.

Does not have the locking diffs or a Dana 44 in the front...

Last edited:

harv3589

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Alberta, Canada
Member #

Great build! Question on the breather kit. I have the same kit sitting in my garage and it's been waiting until after I had the lift and tires installed. You mention that it didn't quite fit nice and that concerns me as I was lead to believe that they are a perfect match. Did you take any extra steps to secure it or adapt it since it didn't fit right? Also did you do the transfer case too? As I understand it, us JK owners want to do four - front and rear diff, transfer case and transmission.

Thanks!
The lines they supply are cheap and hard to get on over the nipples on the axles. I had to use a heat gun to get the nipple hot and then push the line over them. The method they describe using doesn't work as well me u can't get them on all the way. They will kink easily too so watch that.

I haven't been able to find the transfer case one actually. But I want to extend into the manifold as well.

I actually ripped on down while offroading last week and it melted off on my exhaust so I am just going to replace them with 5/16" fuel line and run that up to the ARB manifold where I will leave some of their line on the manifold. The fuel line will slid over top with some work and that will allow me to use the manifold still.

Last edited:

harv3589

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Alberta, Canada
Member #

Next up on my list is to build a platform for our fridge and storage boxes just behind the front seat ontop of the rears seats when they are folded down. Like to have the dogs in the very back...

Probably going to build out of aluminum checker and put tie downs around it.

harv3589

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Alberta, Canada
Member #

Portable hot shower unit all built for the up coming camping trip to Haida Gwaii. Nothing better than a hot shower I think...

Winterpeg

CDN Prairie Ambassador
Staff member
Launch Member

Influencer II

Winnipeg, MB
Member #

Interesting...

Does it run on AC or DC power? Do you put a pump into a nearby water source?
We typically camp near a lake to wash up but in the spring and fall it's VERY cold (frightened turtle kind of cold).... Lol.

harv3589

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Alberta, Canada
Member #

Runs off of my jeep battery....just clip th connections onto the battery and good to go. The hose goes into ur water supply and I mounted the pump on the stand under the shower. I also have a filter just on the in,et side of pump to get ride of the crap in the water.

Reactions: Winterpeg

PanCan Overland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Influencer III

Elk River, MN, USA
Member #

I made up some removeable mud flap brackets for the rear...still have to do the front ones...worked out nicely and I'm sure it will make the other drivers happy that are behind me.

View attachment 4247

LOD sliders installed and the N-Fab ones are history....the LOD ones are so nice and heavy duty.

Also scored a brand new premium soft top for next to nothing on the local for sale ads!

View attachment 4248

View attachment 4250

Teraflex brackets installed for the JKS quick disconnects I'm running. Helps get them up and out of the way and keeps them secure.

View attachment 4249

ARB breather extension kit...works nicely but took a bit to get it installed. The line is really small diameter and doesn't place nice with the nipples on the diffs. Extended both front, rear and transmission breather lines.

View attachment 4251
Do you have details on the removable flaps? Could you post more pics? I'm considering removable flaps and would love to see how you did yours!

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

I had an idea for removable mud flaps that would also be flexible if I kept them on while off road. It involved attaching a tube to the rear bumper or lower rear quarter that would take an insert. The mud flap would be attached to a "C" shaped bracket that would slide into the tube and be secured with a pin on the inner side. This makes it quick and easy to remove the flap, and allows the flap to swing and move if it hits a rock.

The down side is that it would take welding on a the receiver tube to the vehicle.

Reactions: PanCan Overland

harv3589

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Alberta, Canada
Member #

Do you have details on the removable flaps? Could you post more pics? I'm considering removable flaps and would love to see how you did yours!
I will have to get some pics for you. I didn’t have to weld anything to the vehicle and used existing bolts to bolt the brackets to the frame. I going to make a version 2 of it soon since figuring out a better way to do it. Just need the time.

Last edited:
Reactions: PanCan Overland

PanCan Overland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Influencer III

Elk River, MN, USA
Member #

I will have to get some pics for you. I didn’t have to weld anything to the vehicle and used existing bolts to bolt the brakes to the frame. I going to make a version 2 of it soon since figuring out a better way to do it. Just need the time.
Awesome!

I have seen a version of temp flaps that utilized a box (square stock) mounting receiver like part that bolted to a portion of the frame or near that behind the rear wheel. The flap part was square steel secured by a pin of sorts for easy removal and break away capability. Was pretty ingenious. Remove for trail use - install for off trail or state required flaps. I'm sure it's very DIY-able as well.

Bryan