Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Since the license relocation frame did not come with license plate lights, even though Wilco sells them, I decided to DIY with a pair of LED license plate lights from Amazon for $7 instead of $75 from Wilco. I tapped into the existing reverse lights.

E9E8B092-425F-4A83-9FCB-8B42D487E730.jpeg

Contributor II

Mount Holly, NC
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Giszczak
I put my WIlco on over a year ago and it has been fine even after a lot of rough off road use. I relocated the license tag to the swing out arm by drilling and tapping two holes in the arm. I added a tag light but I haven't hooked it up yet...
View attachment 117603

Recently I added a flip down / slide out table to it and a trasheroo. I am working on making a 12x14 water / fuel can carrier so I can mount a jerry can or a reliance square or tall 7 gallon water can just to the right of the tire. I may add a Roto pack mount over the table behind the tire for water and or one behind the trasheroo... I am still deciding on those still...

View attachment 117604
This set up is awesome! Would love something like this for my truck. Any concerns about the weight of everything with the tire, table, water, jack, etc.? Looks great man!

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
This set up is awesome! Would love something like this for my truck. Any concerns about the weight of everything with the tire, table, water, jack, etc.? Looks great man!
Good question. I haven't driven it enough to tell the difference to be honest. Since I put the carrier on I've only driven it long distance (50 miles) just once or twice. My 2500 feels just as heavy lol. I removed the spare OEM tire from underneath the truck since I wasn't going to use it so a small savings there. But no concerns as the moment.

Contributor II

Mount Holly, NC
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Giszczak
Good question. I haven't driven it enough to tell the difference to be honest. Since I put the carrier on I've only driven it long distance (50 miles) just once or twice. My 2500 feels just as heavy lol. I removed the spare OEM tire from underneath the truck since I wasn't going to use it so a small savings there. But no concerns as the moment.
I looked these up and looks like the Tongue weight is around 750lbs. I don't foresee anyone getting to that much weight. Might have to look into this after I upgrade my tires. No point at the moment since I'm on the stock 31.5"

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
I looked these up and looks like the Tongue weight is around 750lbs. I don't foresee anyone getting to that much weight. Might have to look into this after I upgrade my tires. No point at the moment since I'm on the stock 31.5"
What is cool about this setup is that the Solo comes with two hitch points so you do not loose the ability to tow or attach other things to your hitch as you may have previously done. I am using one where my 'D' shackle is in and I have a spare one for anything else.

Reactions: BamSilverado15

Contributor II

Mount Holly, NC
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Giszczak
What is cool about this setup is that the Solo comes with two hitch points so you do not loose the ability to tow or attach other things to your hitch as you may have previously done. I am using one where my 'D' shackle is in and I have a spare one for anything else.
Would you recommend the standard, High clearance, or XL? My silverado is only leveled at the moment and I'll be upgrading to 33s so I would think the standard would probably be good, but since you got one might as well ask. lol.

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Would you recommend the standard, High clearance, or XL? My silverado is only leveled at the moment and I'll be upgrading to 33s so I would think the standard would probably be good, but since you got one might as well ask. lol.
I got the Solo XL because of my full size rig and now carrying at 35" spare. I also wanted it to swing out wider even thought i don't have van doors. As an afterthought the High Clearance will give you better clearance if you are currently leveled. I didn't think I needed that since I already have a 6" lift. Plus I was thinking the High Clearance might block what little rear view I don't already have.

Charles M

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Wickenburg, AZ, USA
First Name
Charles
Last Name
M
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1CJM
I have a XL on mine the solos are rated for 150lbs of total weight.

My 35x12.5x17 and wheel weigh out to 84 pounds the table is about 18 pounds 102 total. The main concern with the swing out is the dynamic load generated holding up tire and fuel on the upright arm.

The carrier with 7 gallons of water is about 83 pounds. But, the weight is not on the upright arm it is supported by the horizontal support arm that is heavily reinforced so being a little over their suggested weight should be no problem at all.

20190923_141601.jpeg

trikebubble

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Penticton, BC
Member #

I have the standard Hitchgate (offset) and it has proven itself to be 100% reliable and so far been worth every penny. My options for a swing-away bumper were limited (as in none) given the camper on my truck. My only other option would have been a full custom swing-away bumper. I have nothing but good to say about the Hitchgate. It's now been on the truck for close to 40K km of travel, including thousands of miles of bumpy forestry roads, up and down the Dempster, and many off-road trips.

I also recently bought us a couple bikes, so I've now added a bike rack to the spare wheel and can tote our bikes around with ease. This set-up has also proven itself solid and reliable (I do run a seperate strap from the truck bed to the bike rack....just to keep my paranoia in check with our "new to us" bikes on the rack and I dont run the fuel tanks on the Hitchgate at the same time as the bikes...to keep the weight down).

Attachments

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Any thoughts on the hitchgate max? A difference of around 150$ with the XL
I think it's good if you really want to offload more stuff than just the tire to the hitch carrier. The accessories that you can add to the Max look cool, especially on a Jeep. Had to image what it will look like on a truck. Might look little back heavy.

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
I have the standard Hitchgate (offset) and it has proven itself to be 100% reliable and so far been worth every penny. My options for a swing-away bumper were limited (as in none) given the camper on my truck. My only other option would have been a full custom swing-away bumper. I have nothing but good to say about the Hitchgate. It's now been on the truck for close to 40K km of travel, including thousands of miles of bumpy forestry roads, up and down the Dempster, and many off-road trips.

I also recently bought us a couple bikes, so I've now added a bike rack to the spare wheel and can tote our bikes around with ease. This set-up has also proven itself solid and reliable (I do run a seperate strap from the truck bed to the bike rack....just to keep my paranoia in check with our "new to us" bikes on the rack and I dont run the fuel tanks on the Hitchgate at the same time as the bikes...to keep the weight down).
I like how close your carrier looks to be to your tailgate. Mine seem a wider distance.

trikebubble

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Penticton, BC
Member #

I think it's good if you really want to offload more stuff than just the tire to the hitch carrier. The accessories that you can add to the Max look cool, especially on a Jeep. Had to image what it will look like on a truck. Might look little back heavy.

I don't believe the Max version is available with the offset swing-away. Could be important if it is being used with a truck that has a tailgate you want to open.

Reactions: RoarinRow

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Mine has 2 holes (I think). It's as close it it can be, the wedge lock is at the far end of the receiver inside.
Yup so is mine. Just moved it to the closest hole over the weekend. Maybe I just need to buy more stuff to fill in the gap. j/k.

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
When I am not using the FuelPax container I put a bolt where the locking mechanism is so dirt doesn’t build up inside the hole. I had this long 5/16 bolt lying which I used temporarily.

Today I bought a 1 1/2” hex bolt, painted the top, lubricated, then replaced.

732F9CE8-6233-42B5-8053-2E809C9EDAD1.jpeg

Before

13CE7673-0186-47EB-AFE6-671C2E6FDBF6.jpeg

After

8D0773AD-74CF-44C9-83BA-674F506844D9.jpeg

After

72C90ABE-157F-459D-ACEB-C2E9EFCF24FC.jpeg