Enthusiast III

Beerse, België
First Name
Laurens
Last Name
Hemeldonck
Member #

Hey Guys,

I've been thinking about fitting a roof rack on the Compass.
I've mostly been looking at Frontrunner cause it's pretty well known (i guess). couldn't really find a rack for the compass in the vehicle search section so i measured the roof rails on the Jeep.

Its about 1200mm long (the flat section) and 1090mm wide (outside of the rails). The roof is fitted with "flush rails" (the ones you cant strap anything around).

Don't want anything too expensive because its only a temporary vehicle and in a few years will probably get something else and it would be nice to reuse the rack (i'll sell it if not possible)

Would love some more info and pros and cons about the different kinds, and ofcourse general advice about roof racks since i don't know anything about that stuff..

THANKS!!

Reactions: Magic Mike

MarkD

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Oirschot, Netherlands
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Dolton
Member #

i fitted the frontrunner on my disco, it was actually one of the cheaper decent ones. it was quick too as the main eu depo is in Belgium.
The rack is nice and the range of accessories is great, its a little noisy but they sell an additional wind deflector i am looking at.
I know this Dutch company that can deliver direct from Front runner cheaper than the front runner web site. SUV stuff

Reactions: Laurensvh

Laurensvh

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Beerse, België
First Name
Laurens
Last Name
Hemeldonck
Member #

Hey Mark,

Thanks for the tip, just checked all the frontrunner stuff on that website didn't find the ones that i think will fit. Gonna send an email to check with them.

I think i could fit this rack: Volvo XC60 (2018-Current) Slimline II Roof Rail Rack Kit - by Front Runner
it's a little wider then the roof but i think thats no problem, frontrunner told me the first tray should be able to rest on the assembly feet of the rack.. so i don't think i can go for a longer rack. Gonna try to measure it again tonight ..

WouterP

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

West-flanders (Belgium)
First Name
Wouter
Last Name
Parmentier
Member #

I have the Slimline II from front runner on my range rover.
I realy like it. Also like all the stuff that bolt on to it.
I orderd the most things via Bart from Shop - Offroad & More
He has a pretty good service ! And is fast in responding An good price

Zapo

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Paris, France
First Name
William
Last Name
Boulay
Member #

I take the thread on the way, but for my Defender 110 I'm considering to add a roof rack. Fortunatelty it exist a UK brand named Flat Dog that do some pretty good roof rack, very similar do Front Runner but cheaper.
But, cause there is a but, I was looking on your both link (SUV and Offroad & More) to look at their prices and it seems that it's cheaper in Belgium than France, unfortunately they don't sell the roof rack for the 110 to compare the price with french retailers.

Did you have another good website in Belgium that I can take a look to if I can find some gears cheaper than France?

WouterP

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

West-flanders (Belgium)
First Name
Wouter
Last Name
Parmentier
Member #

I take the thread on the way, but for my Defender 110 I'm considering to add a roof rack. Fortunatelty it exist a UK brand named Flat Dog that do some pretty good roof rack, very similar do Front Runner but cheaper.
But, cause there is a but, I was looking on your both link (SUV and Offroad & More) to look at their prices and it seems that it's cheaper in Belgium than France, unfortunately they don't sell the roof rack for the 110 to compare the price with french retailers.

Did you have another good website in Belgium that I can take a look to if I can find some gears cheaper than France?
If you mail Bart. I think he could look into it.
I don't knouw that Mutch for the 110... Sorry

MarkD

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Oirschot, Netherlands
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Dolton
Member #

i also considered the Flat dog rack, i have seen them in the flesh and they are nice. but out of the uk the price is not that different and for me the problem with the Flatdog discovery 3 rack was didn't go fully to the back of the car like the front runner. but for the defender they are nice.

Zapo

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Paris, France
First Name
William
Last Name
Boulay
Member #

Yes Flat Dog rack, for Defender, are wayyyyyy cheaper than the Front Runner even with the shipping fees and tax (1500 € (FR) vs. 800 € (FD)) !

Cort

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
I spent a lot of time researching and it came down the the K9 roof rack or front runner. Ultimately I landed on the front runner due to the ability to make a solid surface instead of just slats.

The front runner has an aluminum powder coated tray. The other parts are all powder coated stainless or aluminum. It’s top quality stuff and the customer service is top notch. I am not familiar with the Flat Dog system but it seems decent. Keep in mind the cheapest isn’t always the best deal, make sure you are able to get the service you expect after the sale. One thing to check out is the size of the fasteners that are used. Many rack manufacturers use weird or proprietary sizes. Front runner uses common sizes that can be found in hardware stores so if you are on the road and need something you are likely able to find it. If you want to add a roof top tent, an awning or other after market accessories will they interface with he Flat dog system? It seems like every player in the aftermarket for overlanding works with Front Runner racks.

Zapo

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Paris, France
First Name
William
Last Name
Boulay
Member #

Yeah me too, I spent (way too much) time on researching, and you put some doubt in my mind @Cort! FlatDog seems to be ok in terms of quality and as far as I know they used the same system than Front Runner, but can't confirm since I never see one of their products by my eyes. I know some overlanders that use their products on Defender.

Since the Front Runner rack is almost the double of price than the Flat Dog, my accounting manager (my girlfriend) told me to take the Flat Dog. Still hesitating.

MarkD

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Oirschot, Netherlands
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Dolton
Member #

Yeah me too, I spent (way too much) time on researching, and you put some doubt in my mind @Cort! FlatDog seems to be ok in terms of quality and as far as I know they used the same system than Front Runner, but can't confirm since I never see one of their products by my eyes. I know some overlanders that use their products on Defender.

Since the Front Runner rack is almost the double of price than the Flat Dog, my accounting manager (my girlfriend) told me to take the Flat Dog. Still hesitating.
flat dog normally attend the big uk Land Rover shows, no chance to attend one? they have a demo. i brought my awning from them last year at a show.

Laurensvh

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Beerse, België
First Name
Laurens
Last Name
Hemeldonck
Member #

Flatdog seems to only be for defender (and other landrovers).
I've got the price from frontrunner: it will be about 600€ for rack and supports for the jeep compass. Don't think i'm gonna make the investment just yet.
the jeep is not gonna stay our main overland vehicle so i'll have the hassle of selling the rack in a few years.

Cort

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
Flatdog seems to only be for defender (and other landrovers).
I've got the price from frontrunner: it will be about 600€ for rack and supports for the jeep compass. Don't think i'm gonna make the investment just yet.
the jeep is not gonna stay our main overland vehicle so i'll have the hassle of selling the rack in a few years.
Why wouldn’t you just keep the rack and move it to the next vehicle? You can buy different legs for them. Matter of fact you can buy every single individual part if needed.

Laurensvh

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Beerse, België
First Name
Laurens
Last Name
Hemeldonck
Member #

Why wouldn’t you just keep the rack and move it to the next vehicle? You can buy different legs for them. Matter of fact you can buy every single individual part if needed.
Wanted to do that but the rack i can fit on the compass is only 1165 W x 1156 L and will probably be way to small for a next vehicle.. Or ill have to change a lot what might cost almost the same as a new on :) .
No easy choice .. :p

Fyris

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Zürich, Switzerland
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Roos
Member #

how about building one yourself?

You could use a set of Thule Crossbars, buy aluminum extrusion rails, cut them to appropriate length, bolt them together and you have a more custom and adaptable modular rack than anyone else
e.g.: Aluprofile 24 - Aluprofile, Aluminiumprofile, Strebenprofile, Nutprofil, Maschinenbauprofile, Aluprofil Saarland, Aluprofil 30x30, ALuminiumprofil 30x30

That was my original plan on my roof rack - but I ended up buying a FrontRunner SL2 because of a hight clearance issue with regular crossbars on the Jeep XH

Laurensvh

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Beerse, België
First Name
Laurens
Last Name
Hemeldonck
Member #

how about building one yourself?

You could use a set of Thule Crossbars, buy aluminum extrusion rails, cut them to appropriate length, bolt them together and you have a more custom and adaptable modular rack than anyone else
e.g.: Aluprofile 24 - Aluprofile, Aluminiumprofile, Strebenprofile, Nutprofil, Maschinenbauprofile, Aluprofil Saarland, Aluprofil 30x30, ALuminiumprofil 30x30

That was my original plan on my roof rack - but I ended up buying a FrontRunner SL2 because of a hight clearance issue with regular crossbars on the Jeep XH

Hey,

I've allready spent a lot of thought on DIYing it.. But i think the price of all the alu profile will be not that much cheaper at the end. and i dont like how the corners will look since i didn't really find any rounded parts to put there.
Probably gonna invest in a frontrunner as well, since they are great quality and pretty modular as well.
+ i don't know enough about the profiles and how to put them together and i have a habbit of screwing stuff up when i don't know enough about it :-p .

thanks!

Fyris

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Zürich, Switzerland
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Roos
Member #

Hey,

I've allready spent a lot of thought on DIYing it.. But i think the price of all the alu profile will be not that much cheaper at the end. and i dont like how the corners will look since i didn't really find any rounded parts to put there.
Probably gonna invest in a frontrunner as well, since they are great quality and pretty modular as well.
+ i don't know enough about the profiles and how to put them together and i have a habbit of screwing stuff up when i don't know enough about it :-p .

thanks!
Actually & just for curiousity I calculated a roof rack on extrusion profiles for around 350€ incl shipping and German VAT with key meassures 2000x1300 mm with 10 crosssections

mm:
30x60: 2000+2000+1500+1500 =10000mm (incl 600mm spare) /100mm units = 100 units [outer frame]
30x30: 10x 1300mm = 13000mm ... 130 units [transverse crossections]

- take it as a rough assumption with some spare length for screwups
- all joints come with their own bolts (option)
+20 extra bolts and nuts to fixate, mount accessories,...
On top, you'd need some endcaps for the open extrusions at the corner (4x) .64€/pcs - I missed them in the calculation
+ on top you may need to build some connection links on some of the rails unless you specify per part exactly the length
+ on top you'd need the crossbars for your Compass to mount the plattform on

RoofRack Calculation.PNG

In may case it would have been a lot cheaper but tbh, I really like the look and feel of the FrontRunner so that's why I ended up with it..

From building effort, on the Frontrunner you save yourself from the cutting process.
I still had to custom build sliding blocks and mounts for my roof rail

Laurensvh

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Beerse, België
First Name
Laurens
Last Name
Hemeldonck
Member #

Actually & just for curiousity I calculated a roof rack on extrusion profiles for around 350€ incl shipping and German VAT with key meassures 2000x1300 mm with 10 crosssections

mm:
30x60: 2000+2000+1500+1500 =10000mm (incl 600mm spare) /100mm units = 100 units [outer frame]
30x30: 10x 1300mm = 13000mm ... 130 units [transverse crossections]

- take it as a rough assumption with some spare length for screwups
- all joints come with their own bolts (option)
+20 extra bolts and nuts to fixate, mount accessories,...
On top, you'd need some endcaps for the open extrusions at the corner (4x) .64€/pcs - I missed them in the calculation
+ on top you may need to build some connection links on some of the rails unless you specify per part exactly the length
+ on top you'd need the crossbars for your Compass to mount the plattform on

View attachment 109254

In may case it would have been a lot cheaper but tbh, I really like the look and feel of the FrontRunner so that's why I ended up with it..

From building effort, on the Frontrunner you save yourself from the cutting process.
I still had to custom build sliding blocks and mounts for my roof rail

Damn!
You put some effort into that! I love the option but the corners of the roofrack will be open alu profiles, so i don't really like that. And i think it will all get a little high on the car, it's not a big rig (compact 4x4 :p ).
So +- 350€ for the profiles and i just checked for roof bars and they will be around 180€ so thats 530€.

I got a price from from Frontrunner and it would be +- 550€ for the slimline II on the compass. So I think I'll just invest in the frontrunner rack when the time is right (and when the wife is on board XD haha)

thanks for that info! might come in handy for some other stuff!