Why Overlanding and/or What is it to you

• HTML tutorial

RescueRangers

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Fleming Island, Fl
Member #

I was reading over the Overland Bound Guidelines and thought with the way it started out it would be a good place to talk about why we as individuals do it or what it means to us.

We traveled quite a bit in our younger years and although it was almost all international travel we are far from world travelers. Most of it was not by choice and some was not very pleasant. While living in Germany we got in the habit of visiting historical sites, including some Roman, but it wasn't until we moved to the States that we really got the urge to explore. What we seek to discover is anything related to nature and historical sites, battlefields or towns or simply something we read about.

To us Overlanding is about the journey, spending time with each other and seeing new things. When we pull out of the driveway our destination is the driveway at the end of our trip. We have a direction and points of interest in mind but we have no set destination or schedule (other than we have to be back home by a certain day). Our only rule is NO interstates. We use asphalt or gravel or dirt, whatever is between us and what we want to see. Sleeping arrangements are whatever is available, could be an 1807 Grist Mill bed and breakfast (way cool, couldn't pass that up) or what the Jeeps provides. Its about exploring and sometimes the best way to explore is to get out of the Jeep and do some walking. We define Overlanding as seeing how far we can "get out of our comfort zone".

Cappy410

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Okotoks, AB
First Name
Stephane
Last Name
Fortin
Member #

I got into overlanding when camping in overcrowded, designated, fire wood prices were too high campsites was getting old and boring. Pulling into a campsite and staying put for the weekend just didn't keep me excited anymore. Overlanding allows me to explore and seek out new trails, routes and site up camp where ever I want with no one around me for miles. It's the sense of adventure and exploration that keeps me going.

Reactions: RescueRangers

stoney126

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Napa Ca
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Stoner
Member #

Why overlanding. I don't consider myself an overlander not yet anyway. However I've decided to pursue this sport/activity/way of life for what it potentially offers. A chance for adventure. A chance to bond with friends. A sense of peace that only getting truly away from it all can provide. The Recent Rally provideded something I've needed for decades but didn't know how to put a label on it.
Being raised in the city and having very little to no wilderness experience I've always built lowriders or fast movers. Nothing ever intended to go offroad. It Nevery made sense to me to spend a ton of money on something to smash it against rocks. Then one day I found a magazine some 13 or so years ago (ugh I'm getting old) about socal desert prerunners and a 4 page story about the Mojave road. This is where it started for me, This was something that made sense to me. Get a vehicle that I can spend a few days in and go wheel to get to a destination and not be just the destination. I still didn't have a label for it and didn't know how to describe to people why I wanted to take off secluded for several days. It wasn't jeeping or rock crawling or just camping or hiking. I have an urge to see more and do more.

It's taken almost two Decades but I'm ready to follow my urge...I'm ready to start overlanding

Reactions: RescueRangers

maktruk

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Member #

I like scratches and dents and getting stuck and paying through the nose for all of it.

maktruk

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Member #

Let's not forget crawling in the mud, rust flakes in my eyes, and oil and grease ground into the pores of my skin...pinched fingers, stubbed toes, and burnt skin.

maktruk

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Member #

Overheating in the day, freezing at night. Constantly squinting either to block out sunlight or too see better past the fire.