Why is it that when your traveling in a group your the only one setting up and breaking down

• HTML tutorial

mylilpwny

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

i guess Iam tired of doing al the work and no reciprocation from the people who I go with.. I guess Iam going to start taking the trip on my own or start charging for the adventure.
I don't get tired of it because we don't allow it. Everyone is responsible for their own gear and set up then everyone pitches in to help for general/community gear/camp set up. This allows for the ones with faster set ups to help those with slower and to get general stuff set up/ torn down with no one feeling stressed

Jedi

Rank VI
Staff member
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Arlington, WA, USA
First Name
Brie
Last Name
McClory
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6JDI
Everyone is responsible for their own gear and set up then everyone pitches in to help for general/community gear/camp set up.
This is foundational in any group I camp with, and it is made clear from the inception.

Reactions: Desert Runner

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

i guess Iam tired of doing al the work and no reciprocation from the people who I go with.. I guess Iam going to start taking the trip on my own or start charging for the adventure.
There is one person who will not be going out with me again. They joined last minute, Stared at us while we set up a tent for them... Figured they just did not know how to pitch a tent. lil did I know. It was the same way the rest of the weekend. never once lifted a finger to help out, sat/slept in the rig and basically ignored everyone. Break down time came requestied their assistance, none offered or given. When the whole job was done they came out and said "how can I help".

This person will NOT be joining me on another trip.

Boort

Cpol

Rank IX
Launch Member

World Traveler III

Jackson Heights, Queens, NY, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Pol
Member #

I don't know you, so don't know if this is the case with you, but sometimes the person doing all the work is so anal retentive about how things are done and where they go that others don't dare help.
Anal retentive person not at all, I alway get the luck that some one is not able or it just doesn’t suit them to participate.

Winterpeg

CDN Prairie Ambassador
Staff member
Launch Member

Influencer II

Winnipeg, MB
Member #

Learn to delegate.

My kids pitch in and help when we're setting up camp. Sometimes it's as simple as put a tent peg at every point that I will need one. They're getting bigger now so they stuff their own sleeping bags and break down their cots as well.

Sometimes it's all about expectations... if a person expects to be waited on hand and foot then they act accordingly.

Be blunt and honest right from the get-go. "Everyone is expected to pitch in and help where needed and is responsible for their own stuff. If that appeals to you, come join us camping... if not, we'll catch up when we return and grab a beer or coffee"

I'll be damned if I'm going to put up someone else's tent for them without them being in a position that they absolutely don't know what they're doing (it ain't rocket science but some people are intimidated by the whole process)... AND paying attention to how it's done so they can do it themselves next time. In fact they would be right in there putting it up with me and taking it down they would be mostly on their own with a few tips thrown their way.

In the end... life is short. Spend time with people you enjoy spending time with... no point spending time with people you resent.

mylilpwny

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

If there is a new person going that doesn't know how to use their gear it is best to try and get with them before hand and show them in an easy setting ( like at home) how their gear works. @DieselPoweredCamel how many times did I tell you to set up and pack up your tent before we go on your first trip hahaha. This helps to mitigate stress on all because they won't feel stressed for not knowing what they are doing( at least to a degree) and limited stress on others as you do not feel as though they are a burden. As typically with new people to the group or new to camping in general it will take them time to get used to it and will take effort from others in the group. But those who are just plan lazy and entitled no, there is no room for that.

Reactions: Cpol

Contributor I

If there is a new person going that doesn't know how to use their gear it is best to try and get with them before hand and show them in an easy setting ( like at home) how their gear works. @DieselPoweredCamel how many times did I tell you to set up and pack up your tent before we go on your first trip hahaha. This helps to mitigate stress on all because they won't feel stressed for not knowing what they are doing( at least to a degree) and limited stress on others as you do not feel as though they are a burden. As typically with new people to the group or new to camping in general it will take them time to get used to it and will take effort from others in the group. But those who are just plan lazy and entitled no, there is no room for that.
I think like... 30. Or more. At your house, I think it was 5 times total. Or near that. Lol. Does help, because it was faster to deploy and pack each time.

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

Delegate with a clear and strong voice showing your intention, stay friendly but make it clear what you want them to do. If they don't behave like they should explain them how it's done, if they still do nothing then leave them at home next time.

Reactions: Cpol

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
I guess i have been lucky. Everyone has helped in a way. Sure some more than others, but helped never the less. Newbies are given more slack. It's the effort put out that determines how future invites are determined.

(When the whole job was done they came out and said "how can I help".) OH NO WAY.....very unacceptable.....and total BS

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

I guess i have been lucky. Everyone has helped in a way. Sure some more than others, but helped never the less. Newbies are given more slack. It's the effort put out that determines how future invites are determined.

(When the whole job was done they came out and said "how can I help".) OH NO WAY.....very unacceptable.....and total BS
Yea that "how can I help" was the cherry on top. I believe the resounding answer from the other 3 of us was along the lines of Job's done get back in the truck and put on your seat belt.

Boort

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
If we are going camping I like it when each vehicle puts up their own stuff. Now, when it's just the guys it is a little harder to do some things by yourself and you might as someone to help you and then help them in setting up or breaking down camp. IMG_0242.jpgIMG_0283.jpg

Now, who wants to help the guy who brought the 20x10 3 room family tent when he is alone? Keep it simple and test out your equipment before the trip.

Fozzy325

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Calgary, AB, Canada
Member #

How does one go out into the field not knowing how a piece of equipment works. That surprises me. But I’ve seen it. They get piss ripped out of the around the camp fire later. But that’s just military humour.
On the other hand if one was to get a piece of a equipment to trial that’s another matter.
It’s like some one turning up without a torch (flashlight)

Reactions: Plasmajab

Lunch Box

Rank IV

Advocate II

If there is a new person going that doesn't know how to use their gear it is best to try and get with them before hand and show them in an easy setting ( like at home) how their gear works. @DieselPoweredCamel how many times did I tell you to set up and pack up your tent before we go on your first trip hahaha. This helps to mitigate stress on all because they won't feel stressed for not knowing what they are doing( at least to a degree) and limited stress on others as you do not feel as though they are a burden.
This!
Since I formally retired, I occasionally buy/sell/trade gear. This puts me in the position of selling a piece of gear, usually to a friend or acquaintance, who doesn't know how it works. Sure, they'll figure it out with enough practice, but it'll be easier for me to just demo it.
It usually starts with "After you get off work friday, come by my place and I'll show you how the tent goes up". It frequently ends with two rigs parked in the back acre with gear set up and people drinking beer by the fire. It's so much more convenient when your resupply is 100 feet away...
And when the real trip comes up, everybody is comfortable with their gear.

Kevin108

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Virginia Beach, VA
Member #

I have experimented with cooperative packing at times. You bring this...I'll bring that. Seems sensible enough, but the way to have everything you want and for your friend to wind up equally comfortable is for both of you to pack for complete independence. A huge bonus is the redundancy you each wind up with. Plenty of extra food, beer, recovery gear, etc, should either of you need anything.

Plasmajab

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Quinte West, Ontario, Canada
First Name
Ian
Last Name
Howard
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VA3IRA
One man, one kit.

But thats just me. If I see a newb struggling Ill help them out once my kits packed up, or set out. But for right now, Im sleeping out of the back of the rig, so my "set up" consists of.. closing the hatch and putting the folding chair away.

FlyingFischer5

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Spokane, WA
Member #

The only time I would run into the problem of being the only one setting up or packing is with my family. We have a tent trailer and I was the one always doing all the work. That is why I got a RTT. I get my tent setup and sit back and watch them with the trailer now.

When I go out with my buddies everyone does their own sleeping setup and then it's a communal thing for main cooking equipment, seating, and overhead cover. I think this is the best route unless they are completely new to camping then I'll lend a hand setting up a tent.

Will I Am

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Layton, Utah
Member #

Everyone Seems to want to help me get set up even thought I really don't need the Help it is because I always bring Excessive amount of beverages (adult ones) and they know I'm not busting any of that out until after everyone is set up and a nice Fire going with the cooking taking place ...... So the setting up is done very quick however the morning tear down is a different story sorry folks don't blame me it's not my fault that your so slow now ....:tongueout:

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
WOW
I have been camping my whole life, mostly in groups. Anything from backpacking to remote vehicle camping to off-road events. I have never seen someone not setup or tear down themselves. I have seen people struggle with something and ask for help. Never have I had anyone expect someone else to set up or tear down.
I normally lead groups of people on trip's where I wont know some and have been on trips where I don't know anyone.
I count my self as being lucky here. I'm not sure how I would react to someone blankly staring at their gear or thinking I need to set up/tear down for them. Now these folding bathroom tents are a different deal. I cannot seem to fathom how to get them folded properly and it has turned into a game at some camp's.

Scott